Lee PrecisionWidenersRepackboxReloading Everything
Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Load Data
MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Wheel lock

Wheel lock

Does anyone know of where I might be able to find a reasonably priced reproduction Wheellock? Do you know anyone who makes custom wheellocks? I have tried Loyalist Arms and they currently do not have any in stock. Not looking to buy here but looking for somewhere to start my search.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Boolit Grand Master

I think your problem is going to be 'reasonably priced'! I know there is a company in Europe making them, but I think it is a one off custom arrangement, not a production one.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master
    check out LIBERTY ARMS & MIDDLE SEX TRADING Co. they have them.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    There is a guy who posts on Facebook, on the black powder pages. He makes some very nice wheel locks. "Cheap" for a quality lock is something you should never look for.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Quote Originally Posted by toot View Post
    check out LIBERTY ARMS & MIDDLE SEX TRADING Co. they have them.
    Could not find one on either site.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    There is a guy who posts on Facebook, on the black powder pages. He makes some very nice wheel locks. "Cheap" for a quality lock is something you should never look for.
    I don't do Face Book. Never have.

I know in the world of Muzzleloaders that $2000.00 is the low end on traditional custom guns. The cheapest wheel lock I have seen other then Loyalist Arms was in the $7000.00 range.

Boolit Master
    sorry, I thought that they would have one. that seem to have every thing else.

The mechanism is almost clock like, takes a special kind of craftsman to make one. And if I'm not mistaken, they use pyrite instead of a flint, (you probably knew that).

I just noticed you're in Martinsburg, WV. Try Navy Arms, they're on Dupont rd. on the North side of town, 304-274-0004. They might be of assistance. I'm sure someone has a youtube video on them, another place to look.

Boolit Master
    I just found one, it is on PIRATE FASHIONS, WEAPONS, it is GERMAN PUFFER, WHEEL LOCK, FOR $2.750. check it out. hope this helps.

I have seen the one at Pirate Fashions. Sounds like a good one.

I have also found 2 companies in Europe that produce the lock mechanism. at around $200. to $250.

Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch-1 View Post
    I have seen the one at Pirate Fashions. Sounds like a good one.

I have also found 2 companies in Europe that produce the lock mechanism. at around $200. to $250.
    There is no wheel lock that is going to work for $250. The Indians skill level will keep them out of the wheel lock business.

Boolit Master
    a $250.00 wheel lock, for 250.00, think about it? just what will you be getting for that ridiculous price?? remember that you get what you pay for!

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by toot View Post
    a $250.00 wheel lock, for 250.00, think about it? just what will you be getting for that ridiculous price?? remember that you get what you pay for!
    Sounds like a fine plastic wall hanger.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Grand Master

Even for just the lock mechanism that is way too low. A good flintlock costs that much. The wheellock is much more complex.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

As stated this is for the lock mechanism only. The lock also requires assembly by the builder. As for price the most expensive lock that Jim Chambers sells is $225.00.

This is the company that has them for sale: E J Blackley and Son United Kingdom.
    https://www.blackleyandson.com/acata..._English_.html

I know next to nothing about wheel-locks. You can gamble on one of these kits, but have a good machinist as a friend is the best advice I can offer. Reading the fine print, I see these kits are mostly raw castings and could be made for display rather than shooting. It may be worth a call to them to talk things over.

I did come across a .50 cal. wheel lock yesterday a friend has. Pretty tempting price for a rifle, I may have to take advantage of it.

Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    I did come across a .50 cal. wheel lock yesterday a friend has. Pretty tempting price for a rifle, I may have to take advantage of it.
    If you buy it please let us know and post pictures .

Boolit Buddy
    http://www.therifleshoppe.com/catalo...wheellocks.htm

These guys will sell you an assembled lock, in various styles, for about 700 clams or so. They will also sell complete wheellock firearm kits. Parts are top notch but there can be a wait.

Quote Originally Posted by ogre View Post
    http://www.therifleshoppe.com/catalo...wheellocks.htm

These guys will sell you an assembled lock, in various styles, for about 700 clams or so. They will also sell complete wheellock firearm kits. Parts are top notch but there can be a wait.
    This could be a possibility. Do you know anyone who has purchased a kit from them? I would like to know how much inletting is needed for the stock.