Load DataRepackboxReloading EverythingWideners
Titan ReloadingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
RotoMetals2

Thread: Astra Constable

Boolit Master

Astra Constable

Any owners of the Astra Constable .380? I know it's history but how do they function with cast bullets? The one I'm looking at is 51 years old, just squeaking into C&R land.

51 years old! Funny....I can remember back in the day when they were new on the market! They were considered to be an excellent pistol, and a less expensive alternative to the Walther PPK series. The folks I knew that purchased them used them with JHP ammo, and I can't remember anyone who used cast bullets.....so no help here. I think you'd have to cast them hard and use a RN profile.

DG

Boolit Master
    I haven't handled this one yet, but I put a small deposit (refundable) on it until I can get to the store to look at it. I have an Astra 400 but I know this is a different animal. I like older, inexpensive guns but they also have to shoot fairly well. I should check it out next week.

Boolit Grand Master
    I had one for a while as an inexpensive substitute for the PPK that I really wanted. Mine was fine with all factory ammo that I tried--in 1976, I only reloaded 38/357 and 45 ACP--but I would expect it to work just fine with cast that approximates hardball .380
    Mine got sold when I finally got the Model 38 S&W I had ordered.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Master
    A month later, and I'm still working on getting that Astra Constable .380. First, it was approved as C&R eligible, then it wasn't, now it is again. Apparently you can't tell when it was made by the serial number - there's a date code on the gun that you have to be able to identify. The one I'm looking at was made in 1970 (1971 is the cutoff for C&R).
    I changed my mind about the gun as its status changed - first I wanted it, then I didn't, now I'm not sure.
    Looks like a good gun but Fate might be telling me something.

Boolit Master

I had one and shot cast out of it just fine. I did not care for the grip shape and the gun was not pleasant to shoot. My locked breach 9mm of about the same weight was more comfortable to shoot than that blow back constable. Sent it down the road.
    "Masculine republics give way to feminine democracies, and feminine democracies give way to tyrannies.” Aristotle

Boolit Master
    I actually picked it up today after spending quite a bit of time proving to the store that it was C&R eligible (1970). The date code is under the grips, and you can't go by the serial number.
    Good price, the gun's in great shape. It won't be a carry gun or every day shooter, just an addition to my Spanish gun collection.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCF5423.JPG   DSCF5424.JPG  

Ex has one and it’s a good solid shooter. The only problem I had with it is the slide bit me so I had to hold it low.

Boolit Master
    This Astra has a grip thumb rest and I've been working the action to see how close the slide will come to biting me. It looks like a decent clearance, if I hold it right.