Load DataTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders JerkyWidenersLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Reloading Everything Repackbox

Thread: Balancing a shotgun?

Banned

Balancing a shotgun?

So I got into shooting trap about a year ago and after messing around, decided to get a gun for the task. Got a good deal on a Model 12 which has been modded for trap (professionally by an outfit in the KC area). Haven't worked with it much, but took it out and shot a couple of rounds Staurday with it and I'm pretty sure it'll make a good gun for this.

Here's the problem, there's obviously some weight in the stock, probably some kind of recoil reducer thing, I haven't taken off the butt plate to look. The gun is heavy like Model 12s are, not a problem as this is soley a range gun, but it seems unbalanced without some weight up front.

Seems like I could cast a lead weight about the size of a twelve gauge shell and put it in the mag tube ahead of the spring and follower, would that work? Would it moving back and forth under recoil possibly damage something?

Boolit Master
    There might be a weighted end cap available for your gun. I’m not familiar with your gun, but I’ve had Beretta’s and purchased weighted end caps for them. Cole guns sold caps where you could “stack” the weights to suit your needs and they were well finished and looked good on the gun. I do know shooters who used a shotgun shell case and filled it with lead and put it in the tube. I don’t know any who ever had a problem doing this other than losing shell capacity….which isn’t a problem with either trap or sporting clays.

Boolit Master

You’ll never shoot your best until the weight feels “between you hands.” You might take the magazine cap off, push the spring retainer down enough to add a lead weight above the retainer ring and still get the cap on. That will add weight as far forward as possible and probably take very little (maybe a 1 oz slug) to make a difference.
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

I don't think the model 12 has a "normal" screw-on cap. Adding a lead weight inside the tube should be doable. Ideally, it should be placed between cap and spring, but with a length of spring on top as well to keep it from banging around too much. It may even help "spread" the recoil a little - just as a gas operated semi auto.
    Cap'n Morgan

The gun should balance at the loading port. A Break Action Gun should balance at the hinge.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Grand Master

Doing as you describe works well. I I did the same thing. I took a spare magazine tube, and casted a few slugs of lead in it, to using my Mossberg 500. That, plus the lead in the butt stock added a significant weight to reduce recoil, and I adjusted them so the balance was unaffected.

I had casted one slug about 4" long (I didn't realize it was that much when pouring), and I cut it down with a saw until I got the balance I wanted. It worked just fine in the magazine tube as it was, but just to be safe, I bought a second magazine follower, and put it in backwards to rest against the lead. Since that is a duck gun, I wasn't concerned about capacity since they legally can't hold more than two anyway.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post
    The gun should balance at the loading port. A Break Action Gun should balance at the hinge.

Randy
    A pump or semi auto that balances at the loading port would be pretty tough to make long shots at ducks or geese. It would probably work quite well for jump shooting pheasant though.

Boolit Master

If said gun has a magazine plug just replace it with a weighted plug. Works well for me using a copper tube filled with shot.
    Take a kid along

Boolit Master

Cap’n, you are right now that you’ve jogged my memory. They have a pin through the mag tube that must be taken out and a screw as I recall has to be removed to access the mag tube.
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill