MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Reloading EverythingWidenersInline FabricationLee Precision
Load Data RotoMetals2

Thread: I need a custom push-through bullet sizing die

Boolit Master

I need a custom push-through bullet sizing die

So I need a custom push-through resizing die and ram like the one Lee sells. I need it in .729. Lee doesn't make one that large no matter how much you beg. I saw a YouTube guy that used a stainless steel bolt in 7/8-14 to make one but having no equipment or skill to use it if I did, that's not going to happen.

I know there are several people here that can do this. I'm hoping you're not too busy to humor me.
    [

Boolit Grand Master
    Seems I remember "ammohead" here at castboolits did some of that work. Track him down for a conversation.

Boolit Master
    I PM'd him but no response as of yet. I'm still hoping. It's only been a short time ago since bugged him.
    [

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by AbitNutz View Post
    So I need a custom push-through resizing die and ram like the one Lee sells. I need it in .729. Lee doesn't make one that large no matter how much you beg. I saw a YouTube guy that used a stainless steel bolt in 7/8-14 to make one but having no equipment or skill to use it if I did, that's not going to happen.

I know there are several people here that can do this. I'm hoping you're not too busy to humor me.
    FWIW I expanded my lee .451 up to .4535 just using some 500 grit and a drill press..worked great and drops consistent sized boolits as confirmed with digital mic

I would imagnie you could buy the biggest size lee has like 0.510", then with methodical use of dremel/drill press/sandpaper gradually work it up to the size you need, tapered mouth and all

Boolit Master
    Brother, I have nowhere near that much methodical in me to remove 1/4 inch and it still be round, let alone consistently round. I'm pretty sure it requires a lathe and someone who knows how to use it and that ain't me. I wish it was but I'm pretty sure I would end up with hours and hours of labor in it and all I would have to show for it was a pile of metal dust and something that used to be a die.
    [

Boolit Buddy
    Local machine shop??

Vendor Sponsor

Contact Lathesmith on here and he can probably do the work. He has made several sizing does for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    John 15:13
    Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

Boolit Master
    Man, why didn't I think of him? I actually had a couple of Star dies made by him a few years ago. I don't know if he'll humor me and take on a die this large but it's worth a shot...thanks.
    [

Boolit Master
    I randomly checked some of the die lock nuts I have laying around. Inside diameter .807. Subtract your .729 you have .078. Divide that by 2 results in .039 which would be your die wall thickness where it gets sized if you decide to use your 7/8 x 14 reloading press. Is that enough wall thickness material to size your slug? May have to get an arbor press and then ......

Boolit Master
    For a die that large an arbor press makes more sense. You could even use the base plate of the press for your 'die'. Get a drill a bit undersized and a good taper reamer big enough for the job. Cut the taper from both sides leaving a small amount in the middle to be your size. Polish it up.

PS forgot. A drill bit and reamer that size will cost a lot more than having a die custom made.
    Last edited by charlie b; 06-18-2021 at 04:53 PM.

To get that large, you may need one of the presses capable of 1-1/4 12 large dies, and then have a custom die and pusher made for it.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk