Lee PrecisionWidenersTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Reloading Everything Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: replace a trigger

Boolit Buddy

replace a trigger

I have a winchester in model 70 in 7mm wsm.. The rifle will be used to hunt, so it will see snow rain and dust. Which after market trigger should I go with, the two I have looked at are timney and rifle basix. There maybe some that I have missed. I am looking for opinions which would be best.

Boolit Master

I use timney and shilen in my remington 700s. Winchesters, at least the older ones, had great hunting triggers. Unless there were issues with rhe trigger, I'd just adjust it to where it should be abd run with it.

Boolit Master
    Why spend the $$$ for a new trigger?. If your M70 still has the old style trigger you can change out just the spring for about $20. Check out the McCarbo website for just the trigger spring. Got one on my 1966 M70 match rifle little too light. So instead of the two double nuts behind the trigger now use only one. Frank

I'm a Timney fan, but for hunting, I'd work on adjusting the factory trigger first.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    I can't really say what trigger I think is better in a hunting rifle because I have never tried a rifle basix trigger , I have 3 Timmy triggers and like them very much , but I have never felt the need to install a replacement trigger in a older model 70 .
    I have no experience with the Winchester short magnums trigger , what seams to be the problem with the factory trigger ?

Banned

the new winchester triggers arent the old ones we used to play with. Even adjusted there not great. Ive had a number of timneys and on rifle basix and wasnt real impressed by the rifle basix. It was cheaper but bang for the buck a timney is tough to beat.

Banned
    I have had good luck with Jewell triggers on both my 70s and 700s never had an issue hunting the UP or in the Everglades

Timney has long been the Gold Standard for aftermarket rifle triggers ( 'jus sayin' )
    Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Buddy
    the reason for want a new trigger is the pull on the factory one is heavy. I best guess is the rifle was manufactured in the early 2000.

The post 2006 FN/Winchester Model 70 is made with a new/different MOA trigger.

The pre 2006 Winchester Model 70 had the 3-lever trigger that was introduced over 80 years ago.

While both are adjustable (google), if your rifle has the 3-lever trigger, you can adjust it and/or replace the spring as noted above.

Here's how to adjust the trigger pull weight on the 3-lever trigger: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EvTRP2olIi4

Directly from the owner's manual, here's how to adjust the MOA trigger: http://www.winchesterowners.com/viewtopic.php?t=614

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Banned

the old trigger can be easliy taken down to 2.5 lbs without creep. New one? the only one i own is my 280 featherweight and it backed off all the way was still 4.5lbs on my gauge.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by redriverhunter View Post
    the reason for want a new trigger is the pull on the factory one is heavy. I best guess is the rifle was manufactured in the early 2000.
    I have a Model 70 Heavy Varmint from that same timeframe. Very heavy pull, but I checked out the mentioned MaCarbo site, watched their instruction video, ultimately bought a similar spring kit off Ebay and installed it. So simple a monkey could do it and it really, really improved things. Springs were cheap too.

That rifle only gets used for targets, so at some point, I'm gonna go in and get it lighter, but that model 70 trigger is easy, I wouldn't bother buying an after market.

Boolit Grand Master
    Timney 's suck period
    I have had two in two different rifles fail
    one in a model 70
    and the other in a Ar-15
    I have the new m-70 and that is the best trigger I have seen in a long time
    I replaced the Timney in the AR with a Guisle(sp?)
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Quote Originally Posted by redriverhunter View Post
    That rifle should have the old standard trigger. Have a good gunsmith work it over and you'll have a trigger better than most any aftermarket one for much less money. And stay away from Rifle Basix for anything.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Nobade View Post
    That rifle should have the old standard trigger. Have a good gunsmith work it over and you'll have a trigger better than most any aftermarket one for much less money. And stay away from Rifle Basix for anything.
    Amen to that shoulda just thrown my money out in the street

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by white eagle View Post
    Timney 's suck period
    I have had two in two different rifles fail
    one in a model 70
    and the other in a Ar-15
    I have the new m-70 and that is the best trigger I have seen in a long time
    I replaced the Timney in the AR with a Guisle(sp?)
    Dont know. Ive probably got a dozen timneys in bolt actions and two in ARs and all of them will adjust down to 2.5lbs with a crisp break and no overtravel (ars do have a smidge of over travel but most do) You must have got a good winchester because my featherweight with the new trigger with the screw backed out all the way only goes down to 4.5 lbs. Unless your shooting bench rest comp a good clean breaking 2.5 lb trigger is more then adequate. Im sure not spending twice as much for a minute improvement. At least the old win trigger could be massaged by me. Im building a house right now so gun stuff is on the back burner but by next year that featherweight will have a timney and my other two older winchester bolts will do just fine with the trigger winchester put in them. Ran into the same thing with the 7 mag and 6.5-300wby vanguards i bought this year. I had no trouble adjusting down the old vanguard triggers to 3 lbs. But then new ones stalled out a 4.5 too. So timney will end up providing me with 3 more triggers by next summer. Probably good reason why they probably sell a 100 triggers for every 100 sold by every other manufacture combined. You just cant beat them for bang for the buck. FAIL? In what way. Ive no doubt shot a 100k rounds of ammo with timney triggers and know of MANY more guys that use them that shoot alot and ive never seen one fail that wasnt modified by someone incompetent. That said i guess its mechanical and anything mechanical can fail but for you to have multiple failures seems a bit odd. Thats about as likely as buying a toyota corolla and blowing the motor up on the way home and going back and them giving you a replacement and blowing that one up at the same spot on the way home.
    Last edited by Lloyd Smale; 06-19-2021 at 05:55 AM.

I've used Timney triggers since the 1970's- mostly on Mausers- and I've yet to have a problem with any of them. I only have one at present - on a 1916 Oviedo- and it is perfect.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master
    didn't take me 100,000 rounds to figure out they are staying out of my rifles
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Banned

yup and id guess you can shoot one deer with a gun and claim its the ideal deer caliber too. Ill bow to your wisdom and experience. After all this is my first rodeo. Look though and youll see you have a lonely opinion. Ive seen many people (and i agree with them) that say if your willing to spend more money theres a few better triggers out there. But not one that calls a timeny junk or has actually had one fail. I can upgrade from a yugo to a chevy or ford and get a much better product. I can also upgrade to a benz if i have the money but that chev will get me to work every day just as well as that benz will. Absolute only one ive seen bad mouth timneys are competition shooters that demand perfection and are willing to pay for it and gun snobs that throw money out and think there bench rest shooters and people that think if they bash a good product it makes them look more gun savoy then the rest of us. Like the guys who constantly bash 700 remingtons and dillion presses. Buy a Geissele or some other 2-300 dollar trigger for all your guns. Its your money. Me? ill by a timney and a keg of powder with the difference and go out and actually shoot. Same reason i cast bullets instead of buying high dollar factory ones.

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the day of NRA match rifles being bolt action, mostly win 70s and rem 700s the jewel was the trigger of choice for them. I have one in my pre 64 model 70 match rifle and its never gave me a minutes trouble. On its third barrel in 243.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast