RotoMetals2RepackboxSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
WidenersLee PrecisionLoad DataInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters Supply Reloading Everything

Thread: Accurate A2 and .380 ACP - advice - suggestions - help?

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar

Accurate A2 and .380 ACP - advice - suggestions - help?

My “go-to powders” are usually Bulls Eye, Red Dot, Unique and Green Dot for what I load – both pistol and 8mm, 30-30, etc. for reduced cast loads for plinking. During the Obama shortage when the shelves were pretty much bare of powder, I was at the LGS that I often deal with and they had some Accurate A2 that had just come in. One of the guys that I have dealt with for a long time said that he had had to switch to Accurate A2 from his preferred and recommended it for pistol, so I picked up two containers of it. Shortly after, I stumbled on to a 8 pound jug of Red Dot and it took care of my needs so the A2 got put away.

I pulled out the two contains of A2 the other day, read what the label said and then went to Accurate’s site to take a look at loading data. In a nutshell, their site shows it is good for 32 to 45 Colt. I have two .380 semi-autos that I want to load up a quantity of rounds for and figured that maybe the Accurate A2 might be a good one to use – but I have never tried it nor have I even broken the seal on the container to take a look at it.

My two semis include a S & W .380 EZ Shield and a Beretta 84.

I have a number of molds – Lyman 354-242, NOE 358-100 FN as well as several others – but I have almost 500 95 grain round nose PC’d boolits that I bought a while ago fron a vendor here that I want to use. I loaded up that boolit in 380 with BE for a friend of mine to use in his small Sig and they worked well.

I looked at the loading data on Accurate’s site for the A2 – but didn’t see any “lead” (i.e. cast) loads - unless I somehow missed it. I have a copy of Ranch Dog’s chart and it shows a 100 grain TL358-100-RF and the maximum load for Accurate A2 at 3.8 grains – which gives a case density of 67% giving a velocity of 872 FPS – in a Taurus 7388 TCP with a 2.84” barrel. In comparison – he lists Red Dot as a maximum load of 3.0 grains – case density of 81% for 895 FPS.

On the Accurate site – they show their Accurate A2 on the same line as compared to Red Dot as far as “burn rate”. However, I am assuming that the same loading data for Red Dot cannot be used with Accurate A2 as there would be a definite difference in density, grain weight charges and physical make-up of the two different powders to achieve close results – as shown by Ranch Dog’s chart. So have no fear, I have reloaded for enough years to not even "go there" and I am looking for Accurate A2 specific loading data.

I would like to come up with a load that would work in both the EZ Shield and the Beretta 84 – but the recoil spring on the EZ is much weaker than that on the Beretta – thus there may be cycling issues. (I once had a Ruger SR9 that shot well with a 120 grain cast over 3.5 grains of Bulls Eye – but when I bought my 9mm Shield, the load would not cycle in it – by increasing the load from 3.5 to 3.7, the Shield cycle perfectly and both shot the same load very well.) And I freely admit that I am a “revolver shooter” and have way more of those than I do semi-automatics – which I shoot infrequently. So for those semi-auto folks - is it a feasible goal or will I be looking at two different loads - one for the 380 EZ and one for the Beretta?

So . . . can anyone “educate me” on Accurate A2 and possibly provide the minimum and maximum load for a 95ish grain cast bullet in .380 ACP (and COAL if possible for a guide)? None of my manuals – 3rd edition of the Lyman Cast Bullet or other manuals that I have, show anything for 380 loads with Accurate A2.

Is there anything to watch out for with A2?

How well does A2 meter out of a powder measure such as an Ideal 55 or a Lee Perfect? I have some cartridges I reload, such as 38 Colt Short, that depending on the powder, my measures don’t drop a small charge very well. In those instances, I often make dippers and I can get consistent grain weight loads – checking with scale – so I can easily go that route if necessary if Accurate A2 is difficult to meter out of a powder measure.

Can anyone provide a good source for loading data or links for loads with A2 and cast? My 4th edition of the Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook is in Arizona and I am in Michigan so I don’t know if there are any in that edition or not.

What I’m going to be loading up for the .380s I have is strictly for general plinking – ringing a gong, killing cans, etc. – not serious shooting.

Any advice or info would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks.

Boolit Master
    I don't have that in my books but I would start at 3.3. I'm looking for my .380 shell holder and starting with a new powder also.

Boolit Buddy
    Online manual shows max 3.2 gr for 100 gr plated bullets. It’s very fine powder and measures like water. I don’t know about your powder measure though, I’ve only used it in Dillon and RCBS chargemaster.

Boolit Bub
    From the Accurate Smokeless Powder Loading Guide Number One (1994 –red book)
    For the No.2 powder (Gun: OBERMEYER, Barrel: 3”, Primer: CCI500, Case: FC)
    100 (L) Penny’s SAECO 371 COL: 0.950” Start: 3.2 grs, 830fps Max: 3.6grs, 943fps, 17,000 C.U.P
    Bearbud

Boolit Master

I think you will find using PC you will be pretty safe using jacketed starting loads. I have had zero problems doing this.

Boolit Master

I'm interested......
    JMHO-YMMV
    dd884
    gary@2texastrucks.com
    Gary D. Peek

Boolit Grand Master
    A 356-242 loaded over 3.5 grains of AA-2 works very well, and gives about 880 fps from my Beretta 84f.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.