Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2RepackboxWideners
Titan ReloadingInline FabricationSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data Reloading Everything

Thread: Does anyone make a 7.7 Japanese cartridge gauge?

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar

Does anyone make a 7.7 Japanese cartridge gauge?

I'm getting set-up to reload 7.7 Japanese (for a couple of Arisaka rifles). I like to have a cartridge gouge on hand for checking after I resize, and/or, reload any of my bottleneck cartridges.

I have googled, searched and looked at a number of suppliers but so far, I have not run across a cartridge gauge for the 7.7. I realize that supplies or short, etc. and I'm not complaining about that - I also realize that 7.7 is not as popular as a lot of other cartridges are - so, I'm just asking to see if anybody knows of anyone who does make a cartridge gauge for the 7.7 - if not, I'll stop my searching - if someone does, I'll just keep looking.

Trimmers, trim dies, etc. but I have not been able to find a listing for one - even if listed as "out of stock".

Thanks.

Boolit Grand Master
    Never ever heard of one.
    Probably have to have one custom made.

Thanks Ressell - I'm guessing that perhaps there just isn't enough demand for them to warrant making them? Unlike so many of the other commonly used cartridges for which cartridge gauges are made.

I'm sure I can get along without one as the rifles will let me know (dummy rounds) what will or won't chamber. I have a rifle in another caliber that I shoot cast in - I load as cast - the throat is a bit snug and depending on what range lead I have and the make-up of it, I have had a few that the neck has pretty tight on as far as chambering - the cartridge gauge I have for it is pretty good about letting me know what will go and what might be a bit tight. On the ones for that rifle that prove a bit snug, I mark the brass and throw it in a box not to use. I'm not that familiar with the Arisaka and figured that maybe a cartridge gauge that would let me know if the reload fits SAAMI specs might be helpful if I could find one - but certainly not important enough to justify what it would cost to have one made up.

As you know . . . I'm just retying to get things together for when I get the rifles later this summer - I'm guessing I may be overthinking though as I guessing that the chambers in Arasaka rifles vary a bit.

Thanks though - appreciate your input!

Jim

Jim
    Last edited by bedbugbilly; 06-16-2021 at 04:45 PM.

Jim, Older Lyman reloading manuals may have data on the 7.7 Jap. If you can't find one of those, Frank Barnes' Cartridges of the World will have that information + some loading data. Lastly, I'd buy an inexpensive dial caliper and use it as a case length gauge once you learn what the min. and max. OAL of the cartridge is.

Boolit Buddy
    Also, I don’t thing the Japanese made a standard chamber…

Boolit Grand Master
    I'm kind of thinking that since it's a war time rifle, the chamber would not be all that consistent.
    Made more loose so cases will not get stuck.
    On most of my military, I neck size only.
    Also fire form to take up head space.
    I modify the Lee collet neck size die for the different calibers.

Boolit Master
    Use a dial caliper set to length spec and lock it in place. Wicki says "2.28 is case length.
    3.13 for cartridge OAL

Thank you all for your kind responses an information - I'm "learning". For most of my bottleneck cartridges, I keep a cartridge gauge on the bench to check with . . . and since commercial 7.7 ammo is made, I "assumed" that cartridge gauges were as well . . . BUT . . . like I said, I'm "learning".

I don't have the rifles in hand yet to really know what I am looking at on this project - I have looked at hen over the years when I was at my aunt and uncle's house but it has been a few years. Both are Type 99s - complete - slings, monopod on at least one and I think both - bayonets and scabbards, etc. They appeared/appear to be in pretty much pristine condition and better quality than some of those made as the war progressed. My uncle was on mainland Japan shortly after the surrender (they were anchored in Tokyo Bay at the time of the surrender) and it may be that these two rifles never left Japan during the war and thus are in such nice shape. At any rate . . .

from the info that those of you have provided me here and other places, I obviously am "over thinking" as far as what I will need to load for these. I have brass, dies, a NOE mold on the way, etc. and from the info on the "no chambers created equal" - I appreciate that my dial calipers and my micrometer will probably be my best friend.

I'm not approaching this project without caution and will certainly check chambers, see what the headspace is and my guess is that I will probably have to firearm the brass and then neck size. I'n not looking to push hard loads at all - primarily reduced cast loads for plinking, etc. Honestly, I never thought I would be loading or shooting a Arisaka - but the rifles have sentimental value and I wold just like to be able to shoot then once in a while. Years ago, I had a collection of mnilsurp rifles but had no desire to load or shoot them so I disposed of then - I have a 1905 Danzig GEW98 that was brought back from France in 1919 by a load Vet that I knew well and I greatly enjoy shooting that with reduced cast loads. Interests change over time and I can see where a couple of other milsurp rifles could be fun to shoot as well . . . the Arisakas came out of the clear blue sky - never expected that my cousin would not want them . . . so what's next?

Thank you again to everyone - you experience and advice is greatly appreciated!

Jim

Jim: I've had good luck using the Stoney Point headspace gauges (Now Hornady I believe) Once you have a fired case, just set your dies up to bump the shoulder .002 or .003 and you're good. Gp

Boolit Bub
    Those 7.7 Arisaki actions are strong. You can fire just about anything it will close on and neck size from there. 303 Data will work all day long

Try Wilson

Boolit Grand Master
    I have a few Type 77.
    Even have a last ditch rifle.
    Head space on all are large.
    7.7 Arisaka can be made out of 30.06.
    Easy to do.
    PM if interested in some 30.06 brass.