RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading EverythingRepackboxLoad DataWideners
Inline Fabrication Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Elmer's 44's

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by FISH4BUGS View Post
    So here is MY question - which bullet are we talking about when you say "Keith" bullet? Lyman 429421 or H&G # 503?
    Make your choice.

The thread going off track was my fault and I am sorry for that.
    I should have kept my fingers quite.
    I will take complete ownership of messing up the thread.
    It was a wondeful video.

If anyone wants to discuss anything I said and wants to thrash me soundly please PM me.
    I am not going to respond to anything posted to me on the thread starting now.
    PM your thoughts positive or negative.
    Again I am sorry for derailing the thread. I shouldn't have stuck my nose in it.
    Last edited by 44MAG#1; 06-17-2021 at 12:51 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

So here is MY question - which bullet are we talking about when you say "Keith" bullet? Lyman 429421 or H&G # 503?
    If the bullets are exactly the same, fine. If not, then there should be a distinction WHICH bullet we are speaking of.
    There are at least TWO variations of the #503 with the major differences being in the width of the drive band that I am aware of.
    Does it make a difference?
    Probably not.
    But there were multiple references to the "Keith Bullet".
    I'm sure both will shoot far better than I am capable of doing.
    With regards to the pressure/velocity, it doesn't really matter. In comparing drawings online, we are usually talking about .020" or less here or there. According to Quickloads, the biggest difference I could find only changed it about 40 fps.

If the bullets are exactly the same, fine. If not, then there should be a distinction WHICH bullet we are speaking of.
    There are at least TWO variations of the #503 with the major differences being in the width of the drive band that I am aware of.
    Does it make a difference?
    Probably not.
    But there were multiple references to the "Keith Bullet".
    I'm sure both will shoot far better than I am capable of doing.
    If you read his book SIXGUNS ( available cheap on amazon again ) He describes what my Arsenal #503 is and not what my 429421 is.

flat base, square lube groove, 3 full diameter equal sized bands

the blue coated is made by IDEAL, the clear coated is ARSENAL #503

note the difference of the lube groove, and front band

sorry for the thread hijack HR

Last edited by derek45; 06-17-2021 at 06:42 PM.

NRA LIFE Member

USPSA/IPSC

Boolit Master

44mag#1, You were not the only one, I also got off topic and I just edited my comments to what I should have said in the first place and left it there. Great job Howard. james

Boolit Grand Master

I may have missed it but revolvers can differ alot when it comes to FPS with the same load loaded by the same person.
    Compare a DW with a tight cylinder, barrel gap and barrel to a Ruger Blackhawk with looser specs but same barrel length and there will be a slower slug flying downrange.
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Master

I am going to post my opinion on this. I see much common sense in all the posts in this thread. First thanks to the OP. 2nd I'm pretty sure I have not fired any true Keith loads. I have fired loads inspired by and similar to Keith's. I have never fired a bullet of 1 to 16 tin and lead. EMK used more than 1 mold from more than 1 maker. The important thing is to get similar results and I'm of the opinion that the OP did this. I don't feel it is hard to get close to the experience and results of the Keith load and I'm satisfied. Anything over 20gr 2400 or 16gr in a spl with any reasonable copy of the original makes a good load. The similarity of our thoughts is bigger than Our differences. JMHO-YMMV and I'm just glad we have this forum........
    JMHO-YMMV
    dd884
    gary@2texastrucks.com
    Gary D. Peek

Boolit Buddy
    Please don’t worry about hijacking the thread. I always hope the video links will prompt some lively discussion in the forum. So any comments you may have are welcome. Fire away!

Howard

Boolit Master
    I'm happy with the 250K boolit over 7 grs. of Unique in .44 special and 12 grs. of HS-6 in .44 mag. Fun video.
    "If everyone is thinking the same thing it means someone is not thinking"

"A rat became the unit of currency"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12