WidenersLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Load DataInline FabricationRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Titan Reloading

Thread: Entry level printer

Entry level printer

What’s a decent and inexpensive 3D printer for a middle age guy to get started on?

I see some used ones in my area for $200-350, which would be my budget for only a tinkering machine and making little parts.

I am sure you get what you pay for, and will be always wanting the next higher up machine (just like guns, tools, cars, lathes, milling machines….)

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    There is an embarrassment of riches to choose from. Each has its' pluses and minuses. And soon as you get it, you find out about the mods you can do to make it better.

I got an Ender 3 V2 but already have over $100 in mods planned to improve it... And suspect there will be lots more potentially, over time.)

I would start off by looking at what you want to print, and what filaments are best for that sort of thing, then look at what printers do well with that sort of filament, and finally make a choice.

Moderator Emeritus

Good advice. I have the Creality cr-6 se self leveling bed printer that I got in on Kickstarter. Cost me $321 for everything shipped. Really haven't done much to her but then again it seems I go in phases. Worst being my procrastination in learning freecad. Just have to many other things I need to get done. Probably end up being a winter project. Good luck.
    Ron

Thanks guys!
    I missed the thread below where someone already asked. It had great info…I am leaning towards a Ender 3

The Ender 3 is a good way to start, but knew the plate size was going to be the first aggravation for me so I saved a little longer and bought the $500 CR10-V2. Have I needed the bigger 300x300x400? Not quite yet.....but if I had the Ender 3 I've already in the first 10 months printed to the very crowded limits.....the CR10 v-2 plate is nice, but for the money I think you can even go to the next size......ask TylerR on that. If you plan to print plates for a Dillon Case Feeder.....I think you may be out of luck....even with mine.

Above is the max for an Ender3.
    Since a T-rex is in two pieces and Ender3 could probably do that.

Same with the Star Wars StormTrooper helmet.......

My grandkids insisted that I learn to print interesting stuff beside bullet feeders! They are slave drivers....

Boolit Master

I agree with the Ender 3. Its what I use. I have upgraded alot thought. Not out of necessity but out of certain observable annoyances.

My next printer is going to be an Ender 5.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~