Lee PrecisionWidenersInline FabricationReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Load DataSnyders Jerky
Repackbox Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Spirit of GOD

In Remembrance / Boolit Grand Master Boaz's Avatar

The Spirit of GOD

The Holy Spirit ? From when do we know him first ?

I can answer that because it's simple . Has he changed ? Is the Holy Spirit different now ? He appeared in the old testament and appeared in the new testament . I'd say his most memorable encounter in the new testament was the baptism of Christ by John the Baptist .

Matthew 3:13-17

13 Then cometh Jesus from Galilee to Jordan unto John, to be baptized of him.

14 But John forbad him, saying, I have need to be baptized of thee, and comest thou to me?

15 And Jesus answering said unto him, Suffer it to be so now: for thus it becometh us to fulfil all righteousness. Then he suffered him.

16 And Jesus, when he was baptized, went up straightway out of the water: and, lo, the heavens were opened unto him, and he saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove, and lighting upon him:

17 And lo a voice from heaven, saying, This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased.

But I digress ! My question was...From when did we know him first ? I can tell you that .

And let there be light !

Genesis 1; 1-2

1 In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth.

2 And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters.

3 And God said, Let there be light: and there was light.
    No turning back , No turning back !

Thanks Charlie. I was today years old when I realized that... Mind blown...
    Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe, in order to assure the survival and the success of liberty.

Boolit Master

Good morning - And thank you Charlie for this, on the day that He has made
    Being human is not for sissies.

Boolit Grand Master

Creation - God considered, Jesus spoke, the Spirit moved. All in concert with one another, in beautiful harmony.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master

Amen, Thank you brother Charlie!

Boolit Mold
    amen

Moderator Emeritus

Hi there Charlie...thanks for this post....Amen brother!
    When guns are outlawed only criminals and the government will have them and at that time I will see very little difference in either!

"Within the covers of the Bible are the answers for all the problems man faces." President Ronald Reagan

"We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the law breaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is acoutable for his actions." Presdent Ronald Reagan

The Holy spirit...a big topic but in reality a simple one . I'm certainly not making small of this topic but GOD's word explains everything . To be honest and up front I felt put upon to bring such a topic . Though I believe I have a 'working' understanding of it I'm vexed as to present a complete understanding of the...Holy Spirit . I'm only trying to put forth the place and purpose of him . Being the amount of different denominations here in the Chapel I always try not to step on anyone's toes . It's a joke of mine to several members here that I talk to that I am a fundamental Baptist with a broader view . I'm about as interdenominational as they come . I respect the right of opinion . I'm not out to convert anyone to 'MY' church . If GOD is leading you and you know it then follow him .

' I'm probably boring you at this point talking about my outlook ' I thought about presenting the Holy Spirit through the Messianic Prophecies first . But it doesn't really cover the entire subject . Lets do another way , we'll call it...Hit and miss ! It's more of a decide for yourself way of figuring out who the Holy Spirit really is .
    Last edited by Boaz; 06-27-2021 at 05:48 PM.

I am not the least bit bored by talk of the Holy Spirit, and desire to learn more, feel more, use more, and be convicted more with the Holy Spirit. jd
    It seems that people who do almost nothing, often complain loudly when it's time to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by hoodat View Post
    I am not the least bit bored by talk of the Holy Spirit, and desire to learn more, feel more, use more, and be convicted more with the Holy Spirit. jd
    I feel the same way . Thank you .

Well heck ! Where to start ? After thinking and asking my Lord to help me I think we'll start in first Corinthians . We need to understand that all churches who are faithful in following Christ are one body . We are brothers and sisters in his name . We share the common experience of being created by him in his image .

His messenger Paul worked feverishly and diligently to start Christ's churches . To preach and instruct through his 'Holy Spirit" . Paul struggled at times to unify all the churches...the body of Christ . He went to unimaginable lengths to do so . I can't even imagine how he did what he did EXCEPT through GOD . Flogged , beaten , stoned , being imprisoned and shipwrecked . His persecution only strengthened his conviction and determination .

Lets begin in first Corinthians 12;1-3 . We will read more but lets take our time . There is much to take in . I'm looking forward to revisiting these passages .

1 Corinthians 12;1-3

12 Now concerning spiritual gifts, brethren, I do not want you to be ignorant: 2 You know that you were Gentiles, carried away to these dumb idols, however you were led. 3 Therefore I make known to you that no one speaking by the Spirit of God calls Jesus accursed, and no one can say that Jesus is Lord except by the Holy Spirit.

Lets read on . In verses 4 through 11 more insight and understanding is given . One aspect of the passages we are reading is our commonalty through our faith in GOD . Giving understanding of the Holy Spirit .

1 Corinthians 12;4-11

There are diversities of gifts, but the same Spirit. 5 There are differences of ministries, but the same Lord. 6 And there are diversities of activities, but it is the same God who works all in all. 7 But the manifestation of the Spirit is given to each one for the profit of all: 8 for to one is given the word of wisdom through the Spirit, to another the word of knowledge through the same Spirit, 9 to another faith by the same Spirit, to another gifts of healings by the same Spirit, 10 to another the working of miracles, to another prophecy, to another discerning of spirits, to another different kinds of tongues, to another the interpretation of tongues. 11 But one and the same Spirit works all these things, distributing to each one individually as He wills.

I enjoyed the reading...hope you did too . I find I must constantly refresh myself of verse . We have found out a lot about the Holy Spirit . The Spirit of God gives us great gifts . Each of us are different , our churches may be different in method of worship or theologically determined doctrine . But our commonality of faith and belief in the one true living GOD is our strength . lol , there are many that choke on that , they want to be the 'only' ones . In the new testament with the coming of Christ and a new covenant established we are blessed with the indwelling Spirit of GOD . There will not be different churches where we are trying to get to .

Well heck . We are near finished with 1 Corinthians 12 , lets finish reading it for more knowledge and insight . Unity in belief is the rest of it , Paul struggled to keep the churches together .

12 For as the body is one and has many members, but all the members of that one body, being many, are one body, so also is Christ. 13 For by one Spirit we were all baptized into one body—whether Jews or Greeks, whether slaves or free—and have all been made to drink into one Spirit. 14 For in fact the body is not one member but many.

15 If the foot should say, “Because I am not a hand, I am not of the body,” is it therefore not of the body? 16 And if the ear should say, “Because I am not an eye, I am not of the body,” is it therefore not of the body? 17 If the whole body were an eye, where would be the hearing? If the whole were hearing, where would be the smelling? 18 But now God has set the members, each one of them, in the body just as He pleased. 19 And if they were all one member, where would the body be?

20 But now indeed there are many members, yet one body. 21 And the eye cannot say to the hand, “I have no need of you”; nor again the head to the feet, “I have no need of you.” 22 No, much rather, those members of the body which seem to be weaker are necessary. 23 And those members of the body which we think to be less honorable, on these we bestow greater honor; and our unpresentable parts have greater modesty, 24 but our presentable parts have no need. But God composed the body, having given greater honor to that part which lacks it, 25 that there should be no schism in the body, but that the members should have the same care for one another. 26 And if one member suffers, all the members suffer with it; or if one member is honored, all the members rejoice with it.

27 Now you are the body of Christ, and members individually. 28 And God has appointed these in the church: first apostles, second prophets, third teachers, after that miracles, then gifts of healings, helps, administrations, varieties of tongues. 29 Are all apostles? Are all prophets? Are all teachers? Are all workers of miracles? 30 Do all have gifts of healings? Do all speak with tongues? Do all interpret? 31 But earnestly desire the best gifts. And yet I show you a more excellent way.
    Last edited by Boaz; 07-11-2021 at 09:27 AM.

Thanks Charlie...keep it coming brother, I'm learning a lot.
    Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe, in order to assure the survival and the success of liberty.

FAITH,FAITH,FAITH. Not just saying the words but absolute down deep belief. Thank God Almighty. Behold His mighty hand.

Do a study of the Greek word "paraclete" for a good understanding of the role of the Holy Spirit in the New Testament. A literal translation would be "one who stands beside". There are other shades of meaning in English as well.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

I love how that we all are parts of the church body, and can come together and share, learn, support one another, and combine our strength and power of the spirit.

I belong to a small group of guys who meet weekly, to share and study the word, our thoughts, and experiences, and our very existence with each other. We have many different skills and knowledge. Our lives with the Lord came from many different directions, and yet we come together as a body with much more power and knowledge than any one of us would have alone.

I think --- I KNOW, that God wants us to come together as a group, to share his spirit, to give and get strength as all parts of a body get strength from the same meal.

I love my little group in my little town, and I love that we can come together here as a group or body and share our Lord. jd
    It seems that people who do almost nothing, often complain loudly when it's time to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Pine Baron View Post
    Thanks Charlie...keep it coming brother, I'm learning a lot.
    We're all in a constant state of learning...lol , me included . Reading the scripture does that to a person . So many times I have reread passages and had new thoughts . Thank you for your interest and wanting to find out more . Our bibles are our best reference to fill that need . We all want to understand and know our Lord and Savior more .

Quote Originally Posted by Dom View Post
    FAITH,FAITH,FAITH. Not just saying the words but absolute down deep belief. Thank God Almighty. Behold His mighty hand.
    You have it right . Faith starts our walk with him . Faith spurs us on to learn more and want to know him even more .

John 14:6
    Jesus answered, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast