Titan ReloadingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Reloading EverythingWidenersInline FabricationLoad Data
RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chain Saw advice needed

Chain Saw advice needed

I have an old Stihl 034AE saw. Heavy devil, but works GREAT, and I have multiple bars and spare chains. My oiler quit and likely needs replacement. The part is only about $25.00, what should the repair be worth? Is it something I can do myself? I understand there may be a problem with the gear that drives the oiler. I can't just give up on the old girl? My chain is a common one, so I am sure I could find a new saw to utilize the chains I have.
    Thanks in advance for your replies, hc18flyer

When mine quit working I tore into it and found it quite simple.......you tube is your friend.
    Just type in "stihl chainsaw oiler replacement" and take your pick from what's available.

Mine is an old 025 that still runs like a champ. Like you I have different bits n bobs for it, so am reluctant to buy a newer one.
    NRA Benefactor

Boolit Master

I have a 045 that had multiple problems a few years ago. I was able to buy a parts saw with a bad motor for not much money. The parts have kept the old saw running strong.
    You should be able to find a non-running 034 head for parts.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Boolit Master

NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Boolit Bub

I think if you are mechanically inclined you should have no problems with your repair.
    A few years ago I bought a MS 193t off ebay for cheap because the oiler stopped working, did a little internet research and tore it down, found out what I needed and ordered parts.
    Its really not all that complicated under the shrouds just pay attention to your linkages, I like to take pictures with my phone as I go, especially if its going to be days later putting it back together. Also a good time to give your saw a good cleaning around the jug and flywheel, your saw will love you for it

+1 on the cleaning.....it makes the repair a lot easier......
    NRA Benefactor

I never trusted the automatic oilers to deliver enough oil.
    To make myself feel better, I'd also hose off the chain with motorcycle chain oil in a spray every few minutes.

I don't know what's in that stuff, but it sticks like poop on a baby blanket.
    My chains stayed wetter, and I didn't have to adjust/tighten them as often.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master

1720 miles East of Wall Drug, North of Cooperstown, NY
    YouTube videos are great for tutorials!

I would power wash the saw to first clean it up, then I would take the saw apart and find what the issue is. With today's phones/cameras you can easily document things for reassembly, Order the parts or get a used saw for parts and fix it.

The older saws are well worth fixing.

Ken
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Je suis Charlie
    Remember Lavoy!
    I'll cling to my God and my guns, and you can keep the "Change".

Boolit Grand Master

It was probably built to last and built at a time when they could be repaired ...
    By a new one and what cha got ...Chinese ? Disposable ? Junk ?
    If it still has life ...and you can get parts ... carry on !
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Buddy

I've got an 038 purchased new in 1983, still a great running saw. Parts are still out there, might have to search a bit, but you can find them even if, as others mentioned, you need find one for parts. Also have an MS170 that started leaking bar oil from the reservoir within months after purchase. Repaired once under warranty and lasted until just out of warranty then started leaking again. In contrast, my 038 doesn't leak a drop.

Moderator Emeritus

This winter, I started thinking about "needs". 2020 was a year of shortages and the trend seems to be continuing...also, if I read the tea leaves correctly, we are about to enter into the 1970s-like inflation. So I started purchasing some things and backups for things that I feel I need. I won't go into a whole long schpeel about those things, but one thing was chain saws for cutting wood for heating the house. I am still running a Stihl saw I bought new in 2001 (MS360 Pro). It's seen lots of use and a little abuse, but still runs good. The 360 basically the same saw as your 034, just a few generations newer. 3 or 4 months ago, I seen a "034 Super" listed in the classified ads...the sellers photos made it look in near new condition. I called and the owner said it was his father's and he only used it for suburban use. I bought it for a bit less than half of a new comparable saw. So even though the saw was 30+ years old, it runs like and will be a great backup if my 360 fails me and am not able to replace or repair it. Especially since I did buy a bunch of saw chains which will also work on the 034.

So anyway, I'd surely fix your 034...and maybe even consider getting a spare set of oiler parts.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master
    Both my rotator cuffs hurt when I hear “chainsaw” ! Last time I started and used mine I was in pain for a week.
    I wonder if they will make them with a battery drill adapter to start them. My neighbor has a new weed eater that he starts with drill motor.
    For some of us old guys, that’s a real improvement.
    For the snow flakes it’s a necessity if they ever had to use one !!

Mike

Boolit Bub
    I helped a guy cut down a few trees. I used his chainsaw since mine was in storage, I should have gotten mine. He had a new Craftsman, what a pile of Chinese made doodoo. If you have a good old chainsaw, never give it up. It can be repaired.

Definitely repair the old saw. If you buy a new saw to replace it you will be disappointed unless you go for the highest professional grade ($$$). The old saws were built well and meant to be repaired many times. Even paying your local shop to do it is preferable to replacement in my opinion. If you do buy a new one, keep the old one as a back up. Two is one, and one is none, as they say.

Boolit Master
    Just a thought but consider pulling the bar and cleaning out the debris that seam to gunk up the oil port in the bar of the newer saws - every tank or two of fuel .

Definitely repair. My old 025 still cranks on the third to fourth pull.

Boolit Grand Master
    My 028 wood boss is a miracle machine. If your's is similar, it's worth the effort.

Boolit Buddy

Have had a life long habit of retaining receipts and manuals for my equipment, here's the original receipt for my 038.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	stihlrcpt.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	53.3 KB 
ID:	284883

That was big chunk of money in 1983, especially as an E-5, single income household, first time homeowner, and 6mo old son. It sure kept the woodshed full and we were never cold.

Boolit Bub
    I too have receipts from long ago. I have several Colt Pythons. The most I paid was $425 and the least was $250. Unheard of prices today.
    A mini 14 nib $265
    How about old ammo receipts?

Get the parts and repair it. Don’t cheap out grab genuine stihl oiler and worm gear. If you need the part numbers let me know and I’ll get them for you. Sometimes you can fine NOS parts on eBay for cheaper than the dealer.
    If you decide to replace the entire power head speak to your dealer about what to replace it with since all of your current bars and chains will fit a current equivalent power head.
    It should be very simple though. Pop the cir clip (carefully they have amazing pilots license with many hours flight time) holding clutch drum on remove the oiler drive worm remove screws holding the oiler on and reverse for reassembly. Grease your clutch drum bearing while your at it and replace your rim sprocket as well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast