Titan ReloadingInline FabricationWidenersLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingRepackboxRotoMetals2
Snyders Jerky Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Chain Saw advice needed

Quote Originally Posted by myg30 View Post
    Both my rotator cuffs hurt when I hear “chainsaw” ! Last time I started and used mine I was in pain for a week.
    I wonder if they will make them with a battery drill adapter to start them. My neighbor has a new weed eater that he starts with drill motor.
    For some of us old guys, that’s a real improvement.
    For the snow flakes it’s a necessity if they ever had to use one !!

Mike
    Look into the stihl battery operated saws..... or Milwaukee

Boolit Master
    My 034 AV that I bought in the spring of 1979 still runs well enough for my infrequent needs. Something's still up with the carburetor after a home rebuild. I wouldn't hesitate to tear into it to try to fix the oiler. It may just be a port stopped up somewhere. If you haven't already cleaned it out, check the port that puts out the oil to the chain. May be wood or crud packed into it.

My friend buys a new hundred dollar saw off amazon every year, doesn't even bother trying to start the one he bought last year. usually sells it for 40$

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hc18flyer View Post
    I have an old Stihl 034AE saw. Heavy devil, but works GREAT, and I have multiple bars and spare chains. My oiler quit and likely needs replacement. The part is only about $25.00, what should the repair be worth? Is it something I can do myself? I understand there may be a problem with the gear that drives the oiler. I can't just give up on the old girl? My chain is a common one, so I am sure I could find a new saw to utilize the chains I have.
    Thanks in advance for your replies, hc18flyer

Yes, by all means fix it. You would have to spend around $600.00 to get a Stihl saw of equivalent quality today. If you decide you want a new saw, get an Echo CS-590. It is a 60cc magnesium case made in Japan saw for a little over $400.00.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master
    easy fix as long as you have the proper screwdriver bits. like previously posted lots of step bested instructions online. if stihl dealer doesn't stock parts for repair contact bailey's. or if your daring, farmertec makes clone stihl parts can be bought direct from huztl.net, direct from china. IMHO stihl chainsaws are one brand worth repairing.
    could be something as simple as hose on oil pick up tank is cracked or plugged with some sawdust or might need new oil pump. buy genuine stihl oil hose, vacuum hose, and with genuine or tygon fuel lines. but many of the other farmertec will revive old saw when genuine parts no longer available

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12