Inline FabricationRepackboxWidenersReloading Everything
RotoMetals2Load DataTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters Supply Lee Precision

Thread: HS-6 powder

Boolit Bub

HS-6 powder

I have 1000 speer .358 158 grain swc hollow points and in a thread I started about load data for 38 special I recieved a recommendation of hs6 for plus p loads.

I was able to find 3 pounds of hs6 in my collection and want to try it for +p loads.

Does anyone have experience with these speer bullets and hs6. I am concerned about their tendency to lead when pushed hard.

Load data seems to run 5 grains to 8 grains as I looked through lee, speer, nosler manual's.

A load recommendation would be welcomed as well.

Boolit Buddy
    What firrearm are you shooting? Do you have a chronograph?
    HS6 and W540 are equivalent. I've used enough of both to be more than familiar with them. Low charges burn dirty. Soft lead bullets under 900 fps are unlikely to cause leading. Pay attention to COL: seating too short will raise pressure and increase velocity, seating too long will decrease pressure and result in dirty burn.
    So, here's the sweet spot I found for my snubbies and 4" Ruger Security Six: Col 1.45" - 1.55" (1.50" ideal for my guns) 6.5 grains start load to 6.8 grains my max with no leading.
    Just because change doesn't make a difference doesn't mean that change is bad.

Boolit Bub
    Smith and wesson 36, 15, 65, 10, ruger lcr ,security 6, dan Wesson 15 are the platforms I intend to shoot out of.

I was cross referencing other forums and there seems to be a "understanding" that current data is anemic and should be used as a starting point at best..... I am iffy about that notion, not a risk taker when it comes to guns.

Boolit Master
    What I do is go to Hodgdons and look over the data for the caliber I intend to load with their powder.
    They have 38 Special with 158 gr LSWC bullets listed with
    HS-6.
    Then I start cocktailing the load after starting at a safe load (which I determine based on my meager knowledge) and then go from there.
    Your experimentation will be the most valuable knowledge you will have with your components, lots of components and your firearm.

Boolit Buddy
    Is the current HS-6 faster than the older? I did have some older HS-6 powder that I bought at a discount from a closing gun store that needed a couple of tenths of a grain more to get comparable velocities to fresher powder from a surplus keg of W540 (when W540 was discontinued). Powder is hygroscopic and may increase density if it takes up moisture from the atmosphere. Here in the desert relative humidity is low, but we do use a swamp cooler, which does increase our indoor RH.
    Hodgdon Data Center currently shows 6.6 gr HS-6 as max +P load for 158 bullet in 38 Special with COL 1.455"
    Reviewing my data I would bet a lead ingot that with COL 1.55" you would need 6.7 gr dry to 6.8 gr damp HS-6 to get the same velocity with that bullet.
    You said you wanted a +P load, the current Hodgdon Data of 6.6 gr looks good for max. I'll retract my 6.8 gr mention. You can safely increase COL.
    Just because change doesn't make a difference doesn't mean that change is bad.

Boolit Master
    Hodgdons lists 6.6 grains of HS-6 with a 158 grain Hornady XTP bullet at +P pressure which has a lower velocity than the 158 grain LSWC at standard pressure with the same test barrel length.

Boolit Master
    Winchester, the originator of the powder, lists a Max load of 7.1gr with a 158gr lead SWC. I use 7.0gr with my 158gr cast lead bullets. I'm getting 940fps with that load as used with the bullet on the right. Make sure you use a magnum primer with HS-6.

Don
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hollowpoint Testing.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	73.7 KB 
ID:	284556
    NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by USSR View Post
    Winchester, the originator of the powder, lists a Max load of 7.1gr with a 158gr lead SWC. I use 7.0gr with my 158gr cast lead bullets. I'm getting 940fps with that load as used with the bullet on the right. Make sure you use a magnum primer with HS-6.

Don
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hollowpoint Testing.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	73.7 KB 
ID:	284556
    I've seen this load data in a lot of places. 7.0 seems to be what a lot of folks seem to arrive at for the 158gr lead.........
    JMHO-YMMV
    dd884
    gary@2texastrucks.com
    Gary D. Peek

Boolit Master
    I tried some older HS6 from a cardboard container for some 38-44 158 grain lead loads in my 357's. It ran ok, no pressure signs, came in under 1000 fps from 4" barrels.