RotoMetals2WidenersLoad DataReloading Everything
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Repackbox

Thread: Top punch/sizer dies

Top punch/sizer dies

Can anyone tell me the correct sizer die and top punch for an RCBS sizer that would fit the .428 535gr Postell boolit?
    I can't seem to locate a chart that references by boolit size and profile.
    Last edited by Captain*Kirk; 06-15-2021 at 01:09 PM.
    "Are you gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Boolit Master
    I’m away from all my references at the moment, but the Ideal/Lyman convention for the identification of a mould is the nominal diameter plus the top punch number.

So, IIR the number correctly, the 457132 Postell boolit would be 0.457” diameter and use the #132 top punch.

Usually the as-received mould diameters are bigger than the nominal diameter. Size it a couple thou over your groove diameter.

Boolit Buddy

Numbering convention holds for some not all. For example, my recently purchased Lyman 314299 uses top punch 467. Useful charts here - http://castpics.net/subsite/TopPunches/default.html

Thanks, guys.
    Appreciate the info! I haven't purchased a lubrisizer yet as they are currently unavailable, just trying to get my ducks in a row. I've been unable to find a chart for what top punches are needed for the Postell boolit. This helps a bunch!
    "Are you gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Boolit Master
    What I’ve done in a pinch, when I don’t have or can’t find the exact top punch is find one close to the nose profile. Then I put some hot glue in the top punch, then stick the boolet in the hot glue. It works ok as long as your not trying to size a large amount. If ya need ta use the top punch for a different boolet, just remove the hot glue. Reapply as needed!
    Long, Wide, Deep, and Without Hesitation!

Boolit Bub
    I needed a top punch for a very old varmint mould, cast a couple of boolits for a machinist friend. Gave him a random top punch and he made me the punch for varmint projectile. Find someone with a lathe and talent, you can have any style punch made for pennies (or beer in my case)

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by poppy42 View Post
    What I’ve done in a pinch, when I don’t have or can’t find the exact top punch is find one close to the nose profile. Then I put some hot glue in the top punch, then stick the boolet in the hot glue. It works ok as long as your not trying to size a large amount. If ya need ta use the top punch for a different boolet, just remove the hot glue. Reapply as needed!
    J-B Weld Epoxy glue or Epoxy Putty can be used for a more durabble custom fitted punch .
    I made one for a wadcutter boolit a good 20 years ago and still use it to this day ...I shoot a lot of 38 wadcutters !
    No lathe or friends with lathe required ... if you know J-B Weld !
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"