Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingRepackboxWideners
Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingLoad DataRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Campaigning a ML, designing boolits giving thought to a PP version

Boolit Buddy

Campaigning a ML, designing boolits giving thought to a PP version

We´re mid season around here, but due Covid.. yadda yadda..

This year we opted, me and team mate, to campaign a French made ML. A Felix Escoffier, which is a 45cal gun running a 1:21 twist.
    Issues we´ve run into though is that the rifling is very very deep which i believe we came to terms with with the "new" boolit. A greaser.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	197964119_525534045149933_4461174453127848794_n_-_1.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	27.7 KB 
ID:	284538

Name:	82_(1).jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	106.5 KB 
ID:	284539

This i designed for "short range" work, with a total length of 32.2mm. Ogive came to due a lot of playing around with basically the Postell base design, and evolved from there.
    This boolit has proven to be fairly along the lines what we need (50m standing and 100m prone) and we´re currently developing load data for it for the given rifle at hand.
    Shorter boolit for short range, and if my math is right this thing is stable to approx 850fps. We normally exit between 1200 and 1400 though, depending on intended use.

That said i´m giving thought to cutting yet another mold, flat sided and intended to wrap of basically the same proportions, just modified in diameter to take the paper into account.
    No matter if a greaser or PP it will be used with a greased 45cal wad, this to ensure sealing due that overly deep rifling.

Any thoughts on the matter?
    We CNC cut our own molds so in essence, anything goes.

The greaser, FWIW, comes in around the 420 mark. We´ve also produced a 36mm version for it, that comes all in at 500 (greaser too).

Name:	52.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	94.9 KB 
ID:	284540

Here team mate Patric going at it.. Very lightweight rifle (2,5kg aka approx shy of 6lbs) which of course shows as loads increase.
    We´ve tried it with different designs, backed at most by 110grains of powder, and she´s rather picky about what she likes.

Having very deep rifling may pose a problem for paper patched bullets. At least, in my experience it has been difficult to get them to consistently seal unless the powder charges were very heavy. But since you are cutting your own moulds, it's certainly wort a try. Possibly you might consider trying the single wrap chase patch, I have sometimes had good results with that when the double wrap parallelogram would not work.

Boolit Master
    Help take out the guessing ,BACO (Buffalo Arms Co) makes what your looking for ,take the dimensions And make it/Ed

Boolit Buddy

Name:	88-1.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	59.2 KB 
ID:	285983

Well we indeed cut our own PP mold. Here just a first trials wrap to check dimensions. Seems we´re on the money.

Thus far we´ve just tried it out, no summary from that yet due time constraints. We´ll get there tho, hopefully come thursday.