Snyders JerkyWidenersLoad DataTitan Reloading
RepackboxRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision Inline Fabrication

Thread: 311413 and 2400

Banned

311413 and 2400

I do have this mold now, but bought a big tub of them at a gun shop that were obviously part of an estate. Cast pretty hard and the guy clearly knew how to cast so I took them home, checked and sized them, lube is Carnuba read and been playing with them in my '06 and .308 heavy bench guns.

Ben had written up a thread on it I read and the general wisdom by all is it's a good bullet, but you have to limit it to under 1600 FPS, no problem. Shot a variety of ten-shot groups in the rifle using load data from Lyman for Unique, 700X, Herco, etc., nothing special. Switched to 2400, same general velocity range and groups close up dramatically, not sure why this is, but it did it in both the '06 and more dramatically in the .308.

Seems strange a particular bullet would so strongly favor one powder like that. Anyone else shooting this bullet?

Boolit Grand Master
    My 30-06 is a high number Springfield that was sporterized. It shoots the 311-413 quite well with 20 grains of 2400. I have not tried it with anything else, as mine is a single cavity mold and a little finicky to get good boolits from.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

USMC 77, USRA 79

i use it also rich... but only in my 308... 2400 is the ticket it seems for me also... haven't tried in my 30-06 though.
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

Banned

I just would like to use this with powders I have more of than 2400, at least until the shortage ends. Gonna try some Blue Dot next.

Boolit Master

Accurate 8700 - 47.5 to 49gr for my 303 Brit, 30-06 and 30-40 Krag chambered rifles with the 311413 Squib bullet. All low pressure and under 1600fps while having a nearly full powder column in the case. Some folks recommend a kicker powder first for full burn of this slow powder but I never had a problem shooting the powder without it.

Bruce
    I Cast my Boolits, Therefore I am Happy.
    Bona Fide member of the Jeff Brown Hunt Club

Banned

I happen to have quite a bit of AA 8700. I've been using it in the .458, I get a little unburned powder, but not much and it seems to work pretty well with the Lyman 500 grain round nose. I have been wondering how it might work in '06 class things with heavy bullets.

Boolit Master
    I've been using that bullet in my Remington 700 Bdl and the Winchester 54 I just picked up both are in .30-06. I've been using 12.0 grs of unique and seating the bullet so the bottom grease grove is just inside the case. Averages 1" to 1 3/4" at 100 yards. I haven't tried 2400 but I'm gonna try 5744,IMR 4198, & trail boss when I get around to it.

Boolit Master

My AA8700 loads came from Lee's Modern Reloading 2nd edition for 180gr bullets in those calibers. Its hard to find specific data for that Squib Bullet after the 1960s but after gaschecking and PC/lubing those 311413s, they are usually 175-177gr with my range lead mix.
    I Cast my Boolits, Therefore I am Happy.
    Bona Fide member of the Jeff Brown Hunt Club

USMC 77, USRA 79

try some of the "Seafire" loads with bluedot... also red dot could be your friend, but I never tried to get over 1600 fps with red dot using the "load" and 13g puts you at about 1500fps with that boolit.. blue Dot I ran 18-20 grains and vel ranged close to 2100fps if my notes are correct, but it shot all over the place. 1500-1600 fps is gunna be a sweet spot. prolly wanna cast them on the hard side if your in that higher speed range as you well know I am sure. my wife's 06 hates that boolit... my son's 06 shoots it ok. I went through a spell of messing with it, but I am a flat point kinda guy and use FP bullets for hunting as a preference.
    Last edited by Markopolo; 06-21-2021 at 12:24 AM.
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.