Load DataRepackboxWidenersSnyders Jerky
Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Inline Fabrication Lee Precision

Thread: Broke a scope today.

Boolit Master

Broke a scope today.

Took my new Ruger Predator in .308 out to the range to try my newest loads in an effort to get it down to 1/2 MOA at 100 yards. Last trip had it turn in a 7/8" group, which is acceptable for hunting, but I suspected the rifle was capable of better.

Shot three or four groups and found a load it liked and was rewarded with an exactly half inch group at 100 yards!

Attachment 284531

I was so proud of myself, I took a photo of the rifle on my shooting bench and then walked back to the HHR to put my phone back in the shade when I heard an awful sound.

This was the photo I took just before tragedy struck...

Attachment 284532

Somehow, the rifle tipped over to the right, hit the bench, then bounced off and landed on the rocks. 4' drop and it landed on it's side on the windage turret and the bolt.

Dusted it off and shot a group and it was 7" off. Adjusted it and it was 12" off and 5" high. Would not respond to adjustments. Then I noticed debris inside the lens. Scope was toast.

Attachment 284533

It was a Nikon P-Tactical 3x9 M-RAD scope that is discontinued and hard to find. Mine worked perfectly for that rifle. So, I spent a couple of hours today on the internet and found two of them still brand new. One was in Canada on Ebay, and the other at a gun shop in Louisiana. So I ordered the one in LA and hope to get it next week.

Elated that I finally found a load that my rifle likes, but sad that I destroyed a scope and banged up my new gun.
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Banned
    ouch!!! Sinking feeling when you see it start to go then see/hear it hit something hard. Your into the last of the nikons'.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Conditor22 View Post
    Your into the last of the nikons'.
    Yep, I really debated going with another Nikon vs. something else since the Nikons are all discontinued. I was going to get a Vortex Diamondback Tactical, but they don't make them in 3x9 and their 4x12 was 2" longer and a few ounces heavier than my Nikon.

It really is a shame since my P-Tactical is a great scope for the money. The adjustable turrets are amazing and make sighting in, and on-the-fly adjustments for range, a breeze. Had to have them for my next scope.

I'll be sure to be more careful in the future, but this is the first scope I've killed in 40 years of hunting and shooting, so hopefully I'm good for another 40 years.
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Better damaging the scope than the rifle. That’s one of the times we all had where we wish we could turn back time a few minutes.

Boolit Grand Master
    I missed a deer at 275 yards after my Nikon scoped .308 fell from being leaned against a tree. It was 5 MOA off.

I learned my lesson. Never bought another Nikon (which in hind sight was a really smart decision), and always put high end scopes on hunting and SHTF rifles.

A good scope needs to built tough and that means it will not be light.
    Don Verna