RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionWidenersRepackbox
Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLoad Data
Reloading Everything Titan Reloading

Thread: What is your favorite knife with a straight edge?

Boolit Master

What is your favorite knife with a straight edge?

I have a Japanese friction folder which I really like, but I am interested in alternatives. I don't need a big blade, so even a small fixed blade design could be useful if it's got the right sheath for pocket carry.

What is the straight blade knife that you keep coming back to?
    I'm a big fan of data-driven decisions. You want to make me smile, show me a spreadsheet! Extra points for graphs and best-fit predictive equations.

I would say , based on the one that I usually pull out of my pocket 98%of the time, it would be my regular size— Barlow —style knife. I alway have more than one knife with me. I really like the —SWK Camper— but I save it for special stuff I guess, because I usually pull out the Cheap Barlow. I also usually have a sheath knife with a 4to5 inch blade on me around home or in the woods but it’s not handy for the average cutting I do.( So it’s The Barlow )
    Last edited by frogleg; 06-21-2021 at 05:05 PM.
    A Boy in a Old Man's Body. I Shoulda Been a Cowboy

I'm a big Buck and Case fan.

I prefer the more narrow handled, single locking blade ones like the Buck 110 to keep in my pocket.
    The Buck 119 is a favorite for my fixed blade all purpose knife.

My Case that looks like the 110 is good too, but seems to be a little heavier in my pocket.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

The Spyderco Ronin 2 is interesting. I bought one. Comes with a kydex sheath that can be adjusted to multiple angles, securely holds the blade in place, and can be carried horizontally in small of back if desired.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Spyderco Ronin 2 spec.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	56.7 KB 
ID:	284913

Name:	Spyderco Ronin 2 adj sheath.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	31.4 KB 
ID:	284914

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Liberty1776 View Post
    The Spyderco Ronin 2 is interesting. I bought one. Comes with a kydex sheath that can be adjusted to multiple angles, securely holds the blade in place, and can be carried horizontally in small of back if desired.

Name:	Spyderco Ronin 2 spec.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	56.7 KB 
ID:	284913

Name:	Spyderco Ronin 2 adj sheath.jpg 
Size:	31.4 KB 
ID:	284914
    I looked at some like that! You'll crack up at what I ended up getting as an experiment:

Name:	818Z5zCpclL._AC_SL1500_.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	27.3 KB 
ID:	285047

Less than $10 from Amazon, weighs almost nothing, flat as a pancake, not scary looking. Sharp as the dickens when new and didn't react poorly to my 3000-grit sharpening stone either. We'll see how long it lasts when I actually get a chance to start using it. It's supposed to be a carpentry tool, so it might not be as durable an edge as I could wish, but it checks literally every other box I was wanting: simple, fixed blade, small, easy to handle, straight edge profile.

Part of me hates that I'm so satisfied with it, as if there is something wrong with liking such an inexpensive item. I almost ended up with one of these instead, for 3X the price.

Name:	6106CCKgEJL._AC_SL1500_.jpg 
Size:	14.4 KB 
ID:	285048
    I'm a big fan of data-driven decisions. You want to make me smile, show me a spreadsheet! Extra points for graphs and best-fit predictive equations.

been in my pocket for at least 2 decades - Swiss Victorinox -
    never pick a fight with an old man - if he is too old to fight he will just kill you -
    in this current crisis our government is not the solution , it is the problem ! -

ILLEGITIMI NON CARBORUNDUM

as they say in latin

Boolit Master

I havent found a quality knife I have t liked!

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Bub
    I guess my favorite will be a combination. In 1974, I was 12, I bought my first pocket knife. A Case carbon steel bone handle Trapper. Later that year, I bought a Buck 110, followed shortly by a Buck 119. I still carry the Case in my pocket and the 110 on my belt. The 119 comes out in deer season. The steel in the Bucks was different then. It was harder. I bought another 110 and had it converted to full auto back when Texas legalized switch blades. I've taken to carrying that one next to my 1911 that I carry everywhere I go. I like carbon steel better than stainless. You just have to keep an eye on it. At every days end, I wipe and lightly oil the Case blades with 3 in 1 oil. I also never use coarse synthetic stones. The year I bought them, I bought 4 Arkansas stones. 8 inch soft, medium, hard and black surgical. I strop them on leather.

I guess the point is, try some out. See how each 'feels'. Choosing a knife is a lot like choosing a rifle. Some fit. Some don't. My main hunting rifle is a Remington Model 700 in 7mm Rem Mag. My father ordered it the day I was born. 60 years ago today. Remington had just released the 700 and debuted the 7 mag with it. October 1962. That rifle has been with me on every big game hunt I've ever been on. I still reload the original brass from the box of cartridges he bought with the rifle. Still has the original Leupold 3 -9 sitting on it. With the Whelen style sling he put on it.

It's like my knives. It fits. It gets taken care of. It'll go to my grandson when the devil comes to get me. It'll be a while. I think he still has a restraining order out on me.

I haven't seen a knife at any price that doesn't get dull.
    Buy cheap knives and learn to sharpen them.
    Spend your money on a good gun.

I just bought a knife from the CIA guy Jason Hanson, kydex sheath, neck chain, clip you can set up in any position.
    It is a neat little knife, but in my opinion overpriced. (I had a weak moment)
    What the heck, I guess I'm entitled to waste money once in a while.

I don’t like blades with straight edges, such as lambsfoot, wharncliffe, it sheepsfoot. They are useful for things that they excel at, but I prefer a blade with some belly. Spey blade, pen blade, clip, or my personal favorite, drop point.

My GEC pocket carver, with wharncliffe blades is amazing for detail work when whittling. But I most often use the Spey blade of my stockman, either case 75 pattern jumbo, or old timer 34OT.

The case 75 pattern is my favorite folder and for a fixed blade, my favorite is the buck 192 vanguard.

Boolit Master

I like a Vanguards myself! Bought pop a gut hook model forever ago. This was our first use of them. Ruins the lines of the blade but sure works good!!!

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Master
    I hate to admit this in public, but after 40 years carrying either a Schrade Stockman or a Puma folder, I inherited several Swiss Army knives from my stepdad and began carrying one. Not sexy in the least but they are so handy - about the only thing I don’t use one for is cleaning a deer, but it would certainly do in a pinch.

Boolit Master

I got a Swiss Army for xmas in '95 and it has been in my pocket every day since. I gutted a deer with it, broke tip off big blade, grips are long gone as are tooth pick and tweezers. Screw driver points have been reground. Cork screw ground to a needle point for getting slivers out. I have used the can opener several times as is, also kept sharp for slivers. I use the scissors for hangnails. Gets daily use as a box cutter at work. I broke the tip by poking it in a locust fence post while tiying up some 'mater plants. Not really abuse. Would not be my first choice for hunting ( gramps Marbles) but as a daily companion, hard to beat. I wish they had a better mounting for the tweezers and toothpick.

Boolit Master
    I carry an A.G.Russell Spear point Sting on my belt right side most always. When the Sting isn't on my belt I have a Push knife by Broker on. In my pocket is an A.G.Russell Texas Toothpick that is used where I need a good sharp blade for finessing. On my left pocket is a CRKT M16-02Z used for anything that can hurt my knife blade. On my right pocket is a Benchmade 9170SBK Triage, carried for 9 years incase it is ever needed. On my belt is a GERBER "Rex Applegate/W.E. Fairborn" Combat Folder just incase. As you can see I carry several knives with different blade styles. If I need a big knife it is a custom made bowie or dirk, both with 12" blades.