RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
RepackboxSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingWideners
Lee Precision Inline Fabrication

Thread: Newly aquired Ideal 429303

Boolit Master

Newly aquired Ideal 429303

Purchased in the S&S forum last week.

Decades ago I had the .38 version as Lyman 35893/358093 125 gr. I hope this .44 version drops .431" at least... Tomorrow I'll clean it and begin. Food for the Ruger Flattop .44 Special.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	196562621_10159235159444770_3039454271121715139_n.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	54.0 KB 
ID:	284385Click image for larger version. 

Name:	196332419_10159235159494770_5671606731126292149_n.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	37.7 KB 
ID:	284386

Boolit Master
    How’d you make out? I had a DC mold, and it hated to release those boolits.

Moderator Emeritus
    I have a 4 cavity 429303 mold and it drops bullets very easily. I have heard that they sometimes stick, but that isn’t my experience.

Dutchman - I have a RCBS seating stem that matches the 429303 bullet profile. It came with the mold so I don’t know where it originally came from, but the bullet isn’t deformed at all when it is seated. You might want to see if you can find one.

Boolit Master
    I have a two cavity in this mold and it does not drop the boolits easily....
    If you don't read the newspaper, you are uninformed. If you do, you are misinformed.
    - Mark Twain

When a man loves cats, I am his friend and comrade without further introduction.
    - Mark Twain

Boolit Buddy
    I have a 35893 and it drops them as easily as any other mold. It’s one of my favorites.

Used to shoot a lot of those in a ca bulldog, it was a good match for that snubnosed 44spl revolver.

Used it for a plinking bullet in a 629 also, typical 6-shot groups @ 25yds.
    [IMG][/IMG]

I ended up selling the 2-cavity mold I had on e-bay for stupid $$$. Was thinning the herd, had too many molds laying around. Sold the 35893 at the same time, just didn't use either mold that much anymore.

enjoy your mold

Boolit Grand Master
    Looks like some very deep lube and crimp grooves on that boolit. I can see how it might not be the easiest to get to drop free.

Dean Grinnell use to publish a lot of pictures of a very similar bullet, only I think his came from H&G molds.

Robert

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by marlin39a View Post
    How’d you make out? I had a DC mold, and it hated to release those boolits.
    So far my new mold is typical for the type. It sticks to where it requires several firm raps on the hinge pin to release the bullets.

There is a remedy.

I chuck up in the lathe with the bottom exposed and drill and tap the cast bullet for 10-32 screw and leave the tap in-place. Then remove from lathe, coat bullet with J.B. bore cleaner and spin the coated bullet in the closed mold for about 20-30 seconds at low speed on a cordless drill motor. Clean the mold and begin casting. This treatment has never failed to improve the casting qualities of molds like this with sharp lube grooves.

Dutch

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by garandsrus View Post
    I have a 4 cavity 429303 mold and it drops bullets very easily. I have heard that they sometimes stick, but that isn’t my experience.

Dutchman - I have a RCBS seating stem that matches the 429303 bullet profile. It came with the mold so I don’t know where it originally came from, but the bullet isn’t deformed at all when it is seated. You might want to see if you can find one.
    Pretty much accepted that I'll have to custom lathe turn a seating stem and a nose punch for sizing in the Lyman 4500. The nose shape is real close (technical term!) to the center-drill angle. Figured I'd start with that and probably smooth it out some with a scraper.

This mold is dropping at .433/434" with 50-50 WW+Lino alloy. My Ruger Flattop .44 chamber throats all gage .431".

Dutch
    Last edited by Dutchman; 06-18-2021 at 08:18 PM.