RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingWideners
Inline FabricationLoad DataSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision Repackbox
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: Is your local Cabelas like this?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Mal Paso View Post
    Thought I'd check Cabelas for primers today and No More Online Sales.

Time to dump the Club Card.

So I got to thinking people are POed at Cabelas, maybe they have dies. Sure enough I found a RCBS Carbide Pistol Set with 10% off for being Tuesday, free shipping for being over $50 and $32 out the door with Cabelas Bucks. Lemons to Lemonade LOL.
    I bought a red dot sight from Cabela's because they had the going price for it, but gave me a 5% military discount. I am cheap.
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Boolit Buddy
    I quit Cabela’s about two years ago. Switched to Scheel’s. When they had anti-America, anti-freedom Capital One become their new Cabela’s club card purveyor, that was the last straw. When they had Dick Cabela sell out to the corporate interests, it wasn’t Cabela’s anymore anyway. Same with Dick’s Sporting Goods.

Switched to Scheel’s and never looked back. I will add that, as a family with young kids involved in a ton of sports, we spend A TON. Way more than I’d like.

Until people like us start waking up and spending our dollars exclusively in companies that support our values, the general trend will continue.

Cabela’s, Dick’s, and BassPro can go straight to Anti-American ****. Just my $.02

8mmFan

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    I wouldn't be too hasty. A mother/daughter pair use a .375 H&H, the other a .416 Taylor in competitions in this area, and handle them just fine.
    Oh no, I wouldn't refuse to sell her/him the rifle of their choice but just like a kid who comes into a motorcycle shop with a brand new license and wants a Hyabusa I'd make sure they knew what they were getting into if it looked to me like the person was not a frequent shooter. It doesn't do anyone any good for someone to come into a store, buy a gun because someone told them that's what they had to have and come back a week later to get rid of it and turn them off shooting for the rest of their lives.

I was in a LGS up north and 2 young men came in and told the guy they were going goose hunting and wanted shotguns. One settled on a Browning 10g. Salesman asked him if he was sure and he was so out the door it went. Salesman told me that gun would be back in a week or two and sure enough when I stopped by a few weeks later there it was in the used rack. He asked me if I wanted it and I said nope, my 20g does everything I need it to do.

I shoot .338 Lapua for long range fun... went into a store I don't normally go to and the counter idiot tried to tell me I needed .38 special, not .338 Lapua. I asked how that would fit in a rifle designed for 1 mile shots and he started to stutter...

I was in the Gander Mt and stopped a sale. Guy bought a 45ACP and the salesman handed him a box of 45GAP to go with it.
    Last edited by jonp; 06-26-2021 at 04:40 AM.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Master
    I know what you mean about stopping a sale. I was at the Gainesville cabela's and the half whit clerk was telling the customer that he needed. 38 super for his air weight 38 special j frame. I intervened and got the customer the right ammo as the clerk disappeared.

Boolit Master

Well 45GAP will fit and fire from a 45acp , like shooting 40 s&w from a 10mm , I also have a 10 gauge it is fine for what it is for , heavy loads and reaching out , mine is a coyote gun , a load of number 2 or bb and they dont run far .

So I have watched this thread for the naysayers of the story and one said he would find out , but has not posted back yet .

I was asked for some 38 ammo once and was told special , it was a 38 super and he had some 38+p and was worried it was wrong for his older 1911 , I gave him the 38special for his single action 357 , and told him his 38super+p was fine as that is what his gun would shoot .

Do not have a local cabelas , have a sportsmans warehouse and will be curious to see what it devolves into .

Boolit Master
    well after reading all this and putting my $0.02 in on the matter it just gives me justification not to patronize cabbalas or bass pro in the future unless they got a Jon boat on clearance at much lower cost than anywhere else. went to the local gun shops last week and one of em had plenty of guns, ammo, even a bunch of powder.
    $250 for 8lb jugs. but they didnt have any of my favorites--- the old ugly lever actions that most folks wouldn't look twice at--- but what really got my attention were a few rifles set up on a countertop display one was a Barrett 50 and a 338 and some other long range precision rifle I didn't look closely at. Yup no need to ever go back to a brass pro or cabbalas for me

Boolit Master
    I do go to BassPro for terminal fishing tackle (split rings, hooks, clips, etc...). I can buy it online but being able to see sizes in hand is sure nice.
    Other than that or when my company gives me gift cards that I use to buy handguns (pisses them off to no end) I don't got here ever.

That all said... If they ever get small rifle primers, I'll sell out in a minute and run to them.
    “Coincidence is God’s way of remaining anonymous.”

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bakerjw View Post
    That all said... If they ever get small rifle primers, I'll sell out in a minute and run to them.
    Yep, I'm a Range Rat. Got my $32 RCBS Carbide Pistol Dies in a couple days. They shipped from LA California. The old Cabelas had no presence in California.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by FLINTNFIRE View Post
    Well 45GAP will fit and fire from a 45acp , like shooting 40 s&w from a 10mm , I also have a 10 gauge it is fine for what it is for , heavy loads and reaching out , mine is a coyote gun , a load of number 2 or bb and they dont run far .

So I have watched this thread for the naysayers of the story and one said he would find out , but has not posted back yet .

I was asked for some 38 ammo once and was told special , it was a 38 super and he had some 38+p and was worried it was wrong for his older 1911 , I gave him the 38special for his single action 357 , and told him his 38super+p was fine as that is what his gun would shoot .

Do not have a local cabelas , have a sportsmans warehouse and will be curious to see what it devolves into .
    Maybe but the headspace will be large so outside of a revolver using moon clips why do it when 45acp was on the shelves?
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Master
    Apologies all - I was mistaken about my weekend in Kalispell ( it's next Friday through Sunday - travel baseball with 3 boys playing, I get a bit lost at times). I called, however - a man named Ryan (Brian?) Answered and I ran the OP's post by him. He said that there was an employee meeting where that social media post was brought up. It was labelled as a potential straw purchase due to the purchaser's unfamiliarity with either the rifle's action or what the cartridge was capable of. I still plan on visiting with the store manager when I am there over Independence Day.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by jonp View Post
    Maybe but the headspace will be large so outside of a revolver using moon clips why do it when 45acp was on the shelves?
    Headspace , really ? I can load them and fire them just like some on here do with the 40s&w in a 10mm , I have seen 9mm fired out of a 40 s&w so headspace ? they are being held by the extractor or the 9mm would fall in to deep to fire , I am not advocating firing 45gap in a 45acp but they feed and fire just fine , I own both calibers so it was not hard to confirm .

As to the straw purchase , I do not see it in this case , say what they want they were jerks , I do not see high end large caliber hunting rifles as being high on a list for anyone to buy illegally so as to sell or pass on to others .

But I hold to a stricter view on what the founding fathers intended on ability to own or possess , you did your time you paid in full or you should not be free .

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456