RepackboxSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingWideners
RotoMetals2Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Lee Precision Reloading Everything
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Is your local Cabelas like this?

Boolit Master
    About 15 years ago I was visiting friends and family in Michigan. Went to a Gander Mountain store in Flint. In their used rack they had a fairly new Marlin 1895 Cowboy. I wanted it, but with a California drivers license they would not even talk to me. They wouldn't sell it to my 75 year olld cousin retired school teacher as a bithday present for me and they wouldn't talk about sending it to a California FFL. Once I returned to California I wrote an irate letter to Corp headquarters. I got a call from the store manager apologizing. Ask if the gun was still available and it was. Got it for about $50. cheaper than the rack price shipped to my FFL in Cal. Only explanation I got was that lots of dealers were spooked by ATF of potential straw purchases.

Boolit Grand Master

Gun Control ...at the sales counter ... seems like it's working !
    I bet there are no laws that say a gun dealer has to sell you a gun ... if he has any reason to think something might be amiss. And I bet that "has reason" can be mighty flimsey...like the buyer was a woman .
    Probably all totaly legal under the eyes of our new laws !
    They go to great length's to win ...and boy are they good at it !
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Buddy
    Bismarck ND Scheels accused me of trying to make a straw purchase. I know the law and vigorously challenged them, even tried right then to call the Fargo BATF but Friday afternoon there was nobody in the office. There are other stores but my favorite gun salesman worked there, have hunted pheasants with him, but I will never set foot in a Scheels store again. They won’t miss me but I will not miss them either. If they honestly thought I was making a straw purchase they are supposed to report me, but I think they knew better. I have a cousin who is a lawyer as well as a sister-in-law, brother and son, all lawyers, it would have been fun.

Boolit Master
    Close to da Creaux,Hang'n out in Swamp's and Bayou's
    Quote Originally Posted by MaryB View Post
    I have ran into the good ole boy attitude towards women. I had dropped some cast 45acp boolits off at the LGS, owner is a friend and he found me 300 pounds of lead so I cast him some boolits. As I was standing there while he was on the phone this dude comes in, looks at the cast boolits and starts telling me I wouldn't know what to do with those, women don't reload etc... friend who owns the store gets off the phone and turns around and thanks me for casting the boolits and could I do one more run for him(I did 250 the first run) so he could share them with another good customer.

Dude who was talking down at me was standing their red faced, mouth hanging open... he turned around and stumbled out the door... friend started laughing and said good riddance, that dude is always talking down to women in the store.

Ran into it at the range too, I stopped at the pistol shelter to shoot and the local police department was there practicing. They were only using half so I asked if they would mind if I used the other half. Got a go ahead so I set up to shoot, hearing them talking low about how women can't shoot and this is going to be hilarious... "we should go hold her hand so she doesn't shot herself" etc etc... meanwhile they were lucky to be hitting 1 of 6 shots at 25 yards...

I proceeded to start shooting, ran the targets 4 times missing twice(6 flip down plates with a rope reset, so 22 hits out of 24 shots at 25 yards) then noticed it had gone quiet on the other side. They were all staring then started packing up. One of them came back later and apologized for how the other guys acted, then asked me for some pointers. I gave him some suggestions, he started hitting 50% and in 2 more years he was shooting competition. Police training teaches some really bad habits, like arms straight out instead of slightly relaxed and at your normal lock up point where you get really steady.

It is changing, I see this behavior mostly from the older guys, the range I am a member of has 2 women only days now each month, and Thursday nights are also women only. Gets us away form the jeering and condescending garbage. Lets us talk gear that works for us instead of being told no that is not for women, no way can you shoot that caliber... I got that on the rifle range one day when I had the Vepr out and was shooting 7.62x54r. Dude was telling me that was way to large of a caliber for a woman, I should be shooting 22lr on the 50 yard range(I was on the 300 yard). Another guy who slunk off after I started running the steel targets we have setup from 200 to 300 yards.
    Down south we yell Bang that gong lady!!!
    Dang that's good shoot'n!!!
    Mighty fine shoot'n,Lady Wish I could do that well !!!
    You live to far North to be apricated by ill-mannered slugs is the way I see it. Keep shooting !

Boolit Buddy
    For those that didn’t know, Sportsman’s warehouse was recently purchased by the bass pro conglomerate as well. I no longer frequent big box stores for any reloading or shooting needs. I’ve been in an active boycott against Dicks sporting goods since about 2011 when they decided to remove all shooting/hunting equipment from their SOCAL stores. It’s going to be Mom and pop stores, pawn shop circuit, gun shows and internet sales from here on out.

Boolit Buddy
    My Cabela's sad story was in South Edmonton, AB.
    Back in 2016 or so, I needed to get some powder, primers, bullets, and other bits and bobs.
    Guy at the gun counter was shining on a cute girl and ignored everyone else. I waited, normally there are several people working the gun/components desk. This time it was just him.
    I had a basket with bullets and other stuff (heavy) but this guy was really trying to connect with this chick. Like speed dating but at work.
    I overheard a bit of the conversation and it was irrelevant. I waited some more but it appeared this guy was going to be thinking with his other head and I retraced my footsteps and replaced everything back on the shelf and left.
    Don't do much shopping there anymore. I took my business elsewhere. If there is a Cabela's manager reading this he/she should be very ashamed of hiring these guys. On the other hand Rustywoods, Wild West and P&D Enterprise's have a good rep. Maybe B-asspro killed the business.

Boolit Master

Went to a new in my area Gander RV place, they have guns and ammo. Asked the counter guy if they are going to sell reloading equipment, I could not believe the answer he gave me!!! "If we sold reloading equipment we could be sued if they made ammo with the equipment, and shot somebody."
    I just left the store. I saw no sense in trying to talk to him, you can't fix stupid!!!!!
    Did not mean to hijack the thread.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by 2A-Jay View Post
    Never boughta gun at Cabela's Bass Pro. I have bought Bricks of primers at both in the past. But I will not travel 0ver 165 miles round trip to get fleeced by either of them. I will travel that far to shop at Sportsman's Warehouse though.
    Bad news! This happened this winter. Bass Pro/Cabela's bought Sportsman's Warehouse.

https://newschannel9.com/sports/outd...ass-pro-owners

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
    Gun Control ...at the sales counter ... seems like it's working !
    I bet there are no laws that say a gun dealer has to sell you a gun ... if he has any reason to think something might be amiss. And I bet that "has reason" can be mighty flimsey...like the buyer was a woman .
    Probably all totaly legal under the eyes of our new laws !
    They go to great length's to win ...and boy are they good at it !
    Gary
    I worked at a large sporting goods store in Glen Allen, VA in the mid 80s. Yeah, that’s the one. One night one of the cousins that ran the place for their uncle gets a call from a running buddy that says “My wife is headed up there to buy a gun. Don’t sell her one!” And hung up. He didn’t.

Banned

I would have to drive over 90 miles to shop a Cabela's or Bass Pro, and that doesn't interest me. And reading these posts makes me glad I don't. We have two LGS's and I live close to Graf and Sons, so I'll go to one of those first.

Boolit Master
    My local Cabela's (65 miles away) is Kalispell and they don't carry casting equipment. Also their prices went through the roof since the buy out. I didn't go to Bass Pro because of their too high prices and I don't go to Cabela's for the same reason. They rarely have anything I want which doesn't help.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by zarrinvz24 View Post
    I’ve been in an active boycott against Dicks sporting goods since about 2011 when they decided to remove all shooting/hunting equipment from their SOCAL stores.
    I was visiting my son last weekend, we stopped at a mall in Portland, Oregon, to purchase a couple of new shirts and ties for his wedding. We went into Dicks to look around, mostly to pass the time while my wife continued shopping. When asked about the hunting section we couldn't find, then about the fishing section that was nowhere to be seen, the answer was....."nope, we don't wish to offend other customers that enter from the mall". They were polite when telling us we could order online, but they don't have those sections in their store.
    Maybe that's not their official policy, but that's what the sales person said and that's the way it is on 82nd avenue in Portland. And maybe it's just the rules of the mall. My son knew of a gun store on McLoughlin Avenue, we spent about an hour and a half in there, leaving my wife and his future bride at the mall.

Both parties were happy and had a pleasurable day.

Any man who talks down to a woman didn't get whipped enough by either parent as a child IMO.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Gator 45/70 View Post
    Man,Those 2 behind the counter makes me shudder to think non-discriminating Liberals have taken over at Cabelas?
    You and I can't refuse anyone service at our place of business ...
    ...it's called discrimination . But when the right want to refuse service in the case of selling firearms ... it's perfectly legal .
    They have discovered gun control at the sales counter ... we don't think you should own a gun ... no sale . Your 2A rights are trashed ...easy and they will get away with it .
    No court will touch it .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Buddy
    Vote with your dollars don't waste your time in that store again, that is what I do if I encounter bad service.

Boolit Buddy
    ...it's called discrimination . But when the right want to refuse service in the case of selling firearms ... it's perfectly legal .
    They have discovered gun control at the sales counter ... we don't think you should own a gun ... no sale . Your 2A rights are trashed ...easy and they will get away with it .
    No court will touch it .
    Gary
    You have the right to refuse service at a place of business.

Boolit Master
    No court will touch it .
    Gary
    I can (and do!) most assuredly refuse service at my business!!!
    I'll close it the day I am told otherwise.

Boolit Master
    There are other places to buy guns and gun stuff. You don't have to shop in a store that treats you wrong.

Boolit Master

Nearest Bass Pro is 10 miles, haven’t been there in 7 years and will be a lot longer before I return. No Cabelas within 100 miles of us and I’m not disappointed about that either. Dick’s Athletic Wear is right around the corner. The Barnes & Noble next to them sells more sporting goods.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast