WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxSnyders Jerky
Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLee Precision
Load Data Reloading Everything
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Is your local Cabelas like this?

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    From post #24

This lady really knew her stuff. She did a multiple handgun purchase and had a carry permit. I sold her two handguns and I was unaware she had purchased a couple the day before. Multiple handgun sale have to be reported but the red flags went up when we discovered to multiples in two days so the BATFE multiple sales paper work was expedited. Within 10 days one of the firearms was recovered at a homicide scene. Don't know the deals of the murder but he booking info for the straw purchase in online. The BATFE request info but they don't give the FFL anymore than that.

If you seem scripted, unstable or unsafe you will not be purchasing a firearm from me but has the case above shows some will still get by. Same for when a couple comes in had one wants to purchase a gift for the the person standing next to them but doesn't want them doing the 4473 unless it's their underage child.

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/may-...s-18-years-age

May a parent or guardian purchase firearms or ammunition as a gift for a juvenile (less than 18 years of age)?
    Yes. However, persons less than 18 years of age may only receive and possess handguns with the written permission of a parent or guardian for limited purposes, e.g., employment, ranching, farming, target practice or hunting.

[18 U.S.C. 922(x)]
    Just a follow-up on this for those that are interested.

Life isn't 100% black and white. If you believe it's a good idea to sell to people that appear to be scripted, unstable or unsafe I really don't know what to tell you other than you will see a lot more of what's laid out below. How is that good for anyone??????????????

I would love to see the pre 1968 days come back were JC Penny's and Sear's had 50 plus pages of guns in their catalog for mail order. Those days are not coming back. Not effectively policing are own will 100% guarantee the regulation forced on us will be a lot worse then we currently have.

https://www.startribune.com/she-boug.../?refresh=true

https://bearingarms.com/camedwards/2...ng-ring-n46506

https://www.atf.gov/news/pr/three-in...tiple-firearms

https://bearingarms.com/tomknighton/...zZ_GUSblVV8BiQ
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 06-17-2021 at 03:13 AM.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master
    This reminds me of the dimwit who asked me for proof of age....Im over 70 ,and the years havent been kind either. But ,it was his job,and he did it.......which gets around to the clerk.......big corporations dont give anyone under executive level any leeway in how company policy is carried out....go by the book or you are out the door...so why risk your job for a few cents comission....assuming they pay any comission..............Of course you may get the strange situation here where a shady character was able to buy 1000 handguns.....thats right ,all of our restrictive laws ,and a guy with a string of criminal convictions buys 1000 handguns!.....for something like tens of millions of dollars.

Boolit Master

It's like the ladies that ask me jokingly if I'm old enough to buy alcohol at the checkout. I always say I'm old enough to buy it, but not old enough to know better.
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Boolit Grand Master

I have seen some if this first hand at the nearest cabellas personally.

I went up there a few years ago they had their pedersoli 74 sharps long range in sale. Told the salesman what I wanted and asked how many they had in stock. asked to see 3 of them he asked if I was going to purhase 3 I told him no I wanted to select best wood fit finish and trigger. He informed me that they were all the exact same, But he did bring out 3 and we opened them up 2 were very plain straight grained walnut but the 3 had some very nice grain and colors it was fitted up nice with no blemishes and good trigger and finish. I Told him thats the one I wanted and started on the paper work. He then informed me that I had to buy a case to transport in Michigan, I informed him I was from Ohio ( he had my drivers license) and I had to comply with ohio law. We did go look at cases They had none in stock the rifle would fit in with the 34" barrel. Then it was a mandatory trigger lock. At this point I asked to see the manager another sales man came out and I again told him I would like to talk to the store manager. Buy now the check had came back good and approved. Finally got the manager there I told him what had transpired and the attempts to up the sales with a "mandatory" case and trigger lock. I then informed him if this was the case since they had no case it would fir in that the rifle would be staying as I wasnt waiting for a case to be ordered. He told the original salesman that the box would qualify as a case to transport home with and to get the sales done.

Second time was an rws air rifle Had to fill out 4473 and go thru background check on it then the same mandatory case and trigger lock purchase. I already had a trap, scope and bunch of pellets selected and on the counter.

Banned

They required a 4473 for an air rifle?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by richhodg66 View Post
    Yes it's a attempt to put you off from making the purchase.

Boolit Master
    Lady, you need to write and call the main office, relay that story and raise the ugly words, "sexual discrimination". I bet they give you that freakin' rifle. Those folks are lucky my daughter didn't have that experience. She's a physician so at least after she committed mayhem on the 3 of them she could have treated them.
    [

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by GL49 View Post
    I was visiting my son last weekend, we stopped at a mall in Portland, Oregon, to purchase a couple of new shirts and ties for his wedding. We went into Dicks to look around, mostly to pass the time while my wife continued shopping. When asked about the hunting section we couldn't find, then about the fishing section that was nowhere to be seen, the answer was....."nope, we don't wish to offend other customers that enter from the mall". They were polite when telling us we could order online, but they don't have those sections in their store.
    Maybe that's not their official policy, but that's what the sales person said and that's the way it is on 82nd avenue in Portland. And maybe it's just the rules of the mall. My son knew of a gun store on McLoughlin Avenue, we spent about an hour and a half in there, leaving my wife and his future bride at the mall.

Both parties were happy and had a pleasurable day.
    Northwest Armory??

Good place.

From many of the replies here it's apparent that many of ya have NEVER worked behind the gun counter and even when given the truth refuse to believe it.

As someone who spent nine years back there I too would find the circumstances given kind of suspect. The BATFE can and does do sting operations. The store can lose their FFL, the salesperson can face prison time.
    NRA Benefactor.

Boolit Grand Master

Is this true? I've found the local Cabelas to have some salesman and women behind the counter that had no idea what was going on but this was beyond the pale. Bass Pro I wanted some BP for my 43 Spanish and the guy behind the counter asked what for. ? He had to ask in case I was making pipe bombs or something. When I told him what I wanted it for he went and got me what I wanted. I won't buy a firearm from them. Did a couple of times through the Gun Vault online but new or used their prices are very high.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by AbitNutz View Post
    Lady, you need to write and call the main office, relay that story and raise the ugly words, "sexual discrimination". I bet they give you that freakin' rifle. Those folks are lucky my daughter didn't have that experience. She's a physician so at least after she committed mayhem on the 3 of them she could have treated them.
    I'd have no problem is I were working behind a counter and a female or male for that matter came in looking for a 300Win Mag in asking them if they had shot one before. This is because many people come in having read the online forums or whatever and just have to have "that" gun. If they told me they had shot one that would be the end of the discussion.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Burnt Fingers View Post
    Northwest Armory??

Good place.

From many of the replies here it's apparent that many of ya have NEVER worked behind the gun counter and even when given the truth refuse to believe it.

As someone who spent nine years back there I too would find the circumstances given kind of suspect. The BATFE can and does do sting operations. The store can lose their FFL, the salesperson can face prison time.
    Spot on. The FFL holder has the LEGAL right to deny a sale for any reason period. No explanation required from the legal aspect. From the business side it does have ramification.

Bartenders are in a very similar situation. If they overserve they will be sued and lose their license and possible face criminals charges. Same for any FFL that ignores straw sale red flags.

I only work part time at a small shop. Started after my wife also retired due to to much together time.

Just yesterday two hoodrats came through and checked inventory for their shopping list. Watched them on the parking lot camera. They made a call and in about 20 minutes a 29 year old white chick showed up and briefly spoke to them. We could see the money transfer. She had a permit to carry and the NICS did go through but in those cases store policy is to state it was delayed and call the BATFE. The BATFE has the tapes and 4473 info.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by jonp View Post
    I'd have no problem is I were working behind a counter and a female or male for that matter came in looking for a 300Win Mag in asking them if they had shot one before. This is because many people come in having read the online forums or whatever and just have to have "that" gun. If they told me they had shot one that would be the end of the discussion.
    I wouldn't be too hasty. A mother/daughter pair use a .375 H&H, the other a .416 Taylor in competitions in this area, and handle them just fine.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Moderator Emeritus

I shoot .338 Lapua for long range fun... went into a store I don't normally go to and the counter idiot tried to tell me I needed .38 special, not .338 Lapua. I asked how that would fit in a rifle designed for 1 mile shots and he started to stutter...

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MaryB View Post
    I shoot .338 Lapua for long range fun... went into a store I don't normally go to and the counter idiot tried to tell me I needed .38 special, not .338 Lapua. I asked how that would fit in a rifle designed for 1 mile shots and he started to stutter...
    Not a big surprise MaryB. I worked at Sportsman's Warehouse for a while, after I retired. Their management does not value outdoor experience, or product knowledge when hiring, just retail experience.
    NRA Endowment Life Member

Boolit Bub
    I went in a bass pro with a friend, he has a Thompson Sub-machinegun. This was a few years ago and they had 45 acp on sale. The salesman heard us discussing the Tommy gun and proceeded to argue with us that Thompsons don't shoot 45 acp, they shoot 50 cal. Now, I never could get him to explain what 50 cal he meant. I got highly annoyed and demanded he explain what 50 cal, because any 50 cal handgun cartridge was developed around 70 years after the Thompson. And if he meant the 50 BMG, he was an imbecile. He never explained what 50 cal he meant. Again, I was younger and far more rude than I am currently. I told him to just shut up and bother someone else. I personally never had a good experience in bass pro, and more than once saw them treat women poorly.

I agree they have the right and a duty to not sell to a questionable customer. But I've seen them treat women as if they were just stupid and unable. The only places I've seen treat women worse in my experience is some mechanic and oil change dives.

Boolit Bub
    The Cabelas in Springfield, OR is no gem. I quit going there after watching them be rude to multiple people. In addition there reloading stock has become super limited. PRE COVID, it seemed to start after BassPro bought them.

Quote Originally Posted by richhodg66 View Post
    I was at Cabela's the other day and we were looking at an 1858 Remington New Army Pietta. I was thinking about buying it for my son, who was looking at it and really wanting it. While talking to the salesperson he mentioned that I would have to fill out an 4473 to purchase it. I explained that this was blackpowder and did not need an 4473. He rolled his eyes and said he agreed and I shouldn't have to fill one out but that it was company policy. I left it sitting on the counter and just walked out the door.
    " My people skills are just fine. It's my tolerance for idiots that needs work."

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by KMac View Post
    He rolled his eyes and said he agreed and I shouldn't have to fill one out but that it was company policy.
    This "company policy" crap is getting old!

WalMart stopped selling pistol ammunition and AR and AK ammo due to "company policy". That has negatively affected me and millions of other shooters that used to depend on them for ammo.

Lots of corporations are now using "company policy" language to restrict American's Constitutional rights. Can't carry a firearm in a company vehicle when doing service work in a high-crime area. Can't bring up conservative values at work. Can't go mask-free even with a vaccine.

All "company policy". BS.
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

In the past I had talk with a women in Cabelas and since she was working the gun part of the store because they move them around in different dept of the store. I ask her if they give her any training in firearms , she said no they ask each other and Google about the firearms that someone is looking to buy. That is the sad part , I also go to Scheels and they train the ones that works in the firearms part and dose not move them around like that . One of them told me also they go for training in there dept once a week also. For them to keep up to date on what they sell and what ever else they sell. Only once I had a problem with someone behind the counter in some years ago and that guy was not the one that was cashing me out. I had called ahead of time about some powder I needed it was 8 lbs jug and the firearms sale person said it will be up front for me to pick up . So when I went to pick it up the women took care of me no problem , there was this kid is what is best to say he was, shoot off his mouth to me that it was illegal to buy the 8lbs jug of powder and I told him if it was why dose the store sell it then . He said they do things like that . So I told him if he have a problem to take it up with upper management, he shut up and the women that was cashing me out laugh at him and he did said I he will take it up with upper management. The next time I walk in there he was not working there anymore .
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Master

No More Online Powder/Primer Sales

Thought I'd check Cabelas for primers today and No More Online Sales.

Time to dump the Club Card.

So I got to thinking people are POed at Cabelas, maybe they have dies. Sure enough I found a RCBS Carbide Pistol Set with 10% off for being Tuesday, free shipping for being over $50 and $32 out the door with Cabelas Bucks. Lemons to Lemonade LOL.
    Last edited by Mal Paso; 06-22-2021 at 09:55 PM.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast