Titan ReloadingInline FabricationRepackboxSnyders Jerky
WidenersReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Lee Precision
MidSouth Shooters Supply Load Data

Thread: 2 ball load and threading barrel for chokes

Boolit Master

2 ball load and threading barrel for chokes

I am still working on going hog hunting so have started playing with 00 and #4 buck my reloads. I am also playing with factory Winchester SUPER-X 1 oz slugs that I have several boxes of. Like the 00 and #4 buck loads very well but the slugs are shooting 8"-10" groups for 5 rounds 50 yards. Thinking of getting a Carlson's 18 1/2" barrel with bead front sight, having the barrel threaded for chokes so I can put a rifled choke on to shoot slugs. Will add trijicon front sight an a ghost ring rear sight on the receiver. I have a 1986 Remington Police magnum that I am using. I am still working on the components for my 2 ball load. What is the thoughts on adding a screw-in choke for round balls? Any thoughts on the Carlson barrel for round balls?

Boolit Grand Master

I would try different slugs. Even from a bead sighted shotgun, you should be able to about cut those groups in half to 4"-5" or so. Try Remington slugger 1 oz, and 7/8 oz, as well as Brenneke 1 1/8 oz original slugs. I've never found a shotgun that wouldn't shoot at least one of those three well.

Boolit Master

Keep your barrel and send it to Carlson’s and let them thread it for chokes. The shorter the barrel the less balanced your 870 will be. An IC choke will work with the slightly undersized Win slugs. A full choke will tighten up your buckshot loads too. Good luck.
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

I had my buddy thread my Mossberg 590A1. You need to have enough meat on your barrel for it to happen.

Boolit Grand Master

What MSM said!

You should be getting much better slug accuracy than 8" to 10" at 50 yards with factory loads. Try some different brands.

For round balls you want a snug fit to bore with the ball in shotcup... that is it should take some effort to push the ball and shotcup through the bore. You need to pick a RB mould size and wads to suit or patch the ball up to fit snug in the wad.

0.678" RB fits some standard wads well but it appears that Lyman has discontinued 0.678" moulds.

0.662" is a standard size and can be cloth patched up. That has worked well for me.

0.690" is common but too large for many wads. I've had poor results with 0.690" RB's though others have had success.

0.735" moulds are also available and a good choice for naked round ball on hard card wad column.

Whatever round ball you use, put a 1/8" nitro card wad or two under it for support. If in a shotcup the wad will try to wrap around the ball if nitro card wads aren't used.

Longbow

Boolit Grand Master

I would never pay to have an 870 or 500 barrel threaded. There are way too many barrels on Ebay you can buy.

Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    I would never pay to have an 870 or 500 barrel threaded. There are way too many barrels on Ebay you can buy.
    Cost me $75 to have my 590A1 threaded. Well worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

I wish it was that cheap here!

I checked around and barrel threading runs about $180.00. Mind you a new barrel runs over $300.00 and used ones are rare... depending on gun and are running $150.00 to $200 for smoothbore with choke tube.

One day I will get going and silver solder the Brownells adapter to my old barrel and give a rifled choke tube a go.

Longbow

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Blood Trail View Post
    Cost me $75 to have my 590A1 threaded. Well worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    You can have a whole 870 barrel to your door in a few days for $125, sometimes less you you look. I'd never thread a barrel when you can do that. I also threaded my 590 barrel, but you can't buy a threaded 20" 590 barrel. You might not be able to buy a threaded 590 barrel at all. Plus I made the mistake of letting the guy talk me into threading it for Truchoke, instead of Remchoke. I'll never do that again.

Boolit Master
    Thanks for the info. Will look on eBay as had not thought of there.

Boolit Man
    Threaded an NEF 12 gauge with a rented reamer and tap by hand, $65 and my time.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Earl54 View Post
    Threaded an NEF 12 gauge with a rented reamer and tap by hand, $65 and my time.
    Geeze, $65 seems pretty extreme for a rental. I've rented crowing tools, and even with shipping they only were around $25. As was stated, with shipping, you can have Mike Orlen tap your barrel for you for around $75.

Boolit Grand Master
    Have info for Mike Orlen? Have a .410 O/U I need one barrel threaded.

Boolit Master

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mike Orlean.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	31.3 KB 
ID:	285553