Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyInline FabricationLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingWidenersRepackbox
RotoMetals2 Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: any Farmall fans?

Boolit Master

any Farmall fans?

got a new project, a barn find, a first year, 1947, Farmall cub with belly mower. for some reasons I can't post pictures here anymore.
    its got a couple problems but engine runs smooth, it smokes a little, but not too bad for a 74 year old machine. appears to still have all original 6 volt positive ground electric system. pto won't engage, at worst it needs new transmission shaft, if I have to dig in that far to fix it it will get new clutch and pressure plate. a few inches of rust on one rear rim but what look like original tires still holding air. the only real corrosion is battery box is rusted apart. but all the tin and front grill intact and real straight. once I get all the problems straightened out it will probably outlast any zero turn mower I could have bought for less than $5k

Boolit Buddy
    Agreed that it will outlast anything made today. Dad has a wide front super c no rear hydraulic unfortunately. I have my fil's 56' farmall 100 at our place now. Moved it when we moved them a few years ago. First year for the number series, single point spike hitch on the rear. It needs some love, a tree fell on it just before we moved it, and dad did not take care of it as well as he thought he was. Still fires up with a little finesse though.
    Hard to beat the old machines even with their quirks.

Boolit Master
    I'm guess I'm one that keeps hoping American craftsmanship and manufacturing will return to what it once was. guess I'm living in the past. obsolescence was not built into those old machines they way it is engineered into stuff being built today. I thought I was going to get an old 130 Farmall but I think they advertised it at way too low a price, $1200 and stopped taking my calls when I told the dealership I'd be more than happy to pay their delivered price.
    but one thing about the cubs is there are several places making replacement parts and prices are very reasonable.

Boolit Grand Master

I had a 47 cub with hydraulic lift. If you have the 6' woods belly mower you really want the hyd lift. Also a 6' mower on the cub is really wanting for power. I had plow cultivators and mower for mine. Does yours have the wheel weights in the rims?

Cleat type tires are hard to find bu turf tires are available. Keep the coolant filled and add rust inhibitor yearly, The water jackets are known to rust out. Also the o ring in the oil filter cap should be replaced every change.

Pto engages with a sliding collar that where out until it wont engage not an expensive part and not hard to change out. Take care of the woods mowers drive belt they are long and expensive. One belt system all 3 pulleys on the deck back and over the 2 idlers then up to the pto pulley. The pto pulley is a taper lock remove 3 bolts,and put into tapped holes and use the to release hub from pto spline.

A great little tractor and fun to operate run. There was a front end loader for them cute little single arm loader. at 15-18 hp they are really wanting for power and with the non live pto you cant slip the clutch to slow down ground speed with out also slipping pto.

Boolit Master
    funny you mention front lift this thing has original Farmall lift brackets front and rear but only rear and belly mower are attached to touch control unit.front lift may have had a blade or bucket, don't have complete accessory manual yet to see which it is. upon closer inspection it has resistor mounted above distributor. I would like to restore to 6 volt system. got it running on 12volt but need to get a 6volt battery, battery box, carb kit, carb is leaking, float valve probably buggered,. maybe putting it all back to 6 volt is fools errand, will have to determine generator, voltage regulator and head light voltage. but without it running I was just messing with it and got pto engaged and turning pullet while in gear turned rear wheels a bit. might be simple fix. I'll order manuals and some basic parts and get into it. before this my smallest tractors are a super A and a yanmar 1500d. this should be a real fun worthwhile project

Boolit Buddy
    Another thing to keep in mind with these old machines is fuel. Any old rubber lines you will want to replace. Use ethanol stabilizer in every tank ( I like the stuff lucas makes that is green), also use lead additive. The valve seats need the lead to keep a good seal. Otherwise the compression is so low on them if you have old gas it will typically burn it.
    This is what I do with my 8n, which is a 1950.

Boolit Grand Master

On cubs the clutch and transmission have to be engaged Its not a live PTO when clutch is in everything stops

Boolit Grand Master

I grew up in Maine with my Dad's Farmall 200 with front plow and a separate plow mount but two 2.5" steel rods sticking out. He would plow snow with the plow and move large rocks with the rods. He also had a 300 and an old 20 - that was a woods tractor before he got it and had the narrow front end - he would not let us boys drive it. That old 20 (hp rating?) could move, too. He used it for plowing and spring tooth harrow raking - of course we did it all with those tractors. Dad grew wheat, corn, at one time was the third largest dry bean producer in the State of Maine, and helped with the development of the Maine Yelloweye bean. Before I was 12 I was driving the 200, by older brother driving the 300, and Dad leading with the 20 to drive five or so miles to a neighbors farm where he was leasing the ground. We'd spend the day there and drive back in the evening. At various times we had two types of squash for pies and green peas for the local cannery too.

When I was 12 we moved to Northern Virginia and there was a Cub and a Super A there that I could drive.

Yeah, I have found memories of Farmall's.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Banned
    Those Cubs are tough as nails. I had my grandfathers for a long time. It had a sickle mower since he bailed hay. But it did have front lifts cause he had front and back cultivators, and hydraulic.

Boolit Master
    I have an old B Farmall with a 6' belly mower, and it could have used more power, and would get hot if you pulled it too hard. Would like to have a Cub, but really want an old L John Deere !!!

Boolit Master

I have a 1976 1466 that still runs great. I had to put on new tires this year.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Boolit Master

My grandpa had one of those when I was a kid and I loved riding on it with him.

Those old tractors are worth their weight in gold out here now. Used old tractors simply don't exist out here on the market, according to my dad who has been searching for a few months for a decent used tractor.

He was told by a dealer that all of the Californians moving up here are buying up land and becoming "Hobbyists" in which they start raising goats, or Llamas, or some other hipster livestock and need a smaller tractor.

Dad has got by 50 years with his small horse operation with out a tractor by just renting one when he needed it for large jobs, or using his sons as forced manual labor, lol.

But, the last couple of years there has been a hay shortage and farmers have stopped producing the small bales and going to those giant rolls, so dad needed a tractor to move them around.

He looked all over the region from Utah to Canada and couldn't find anything under $20k.

Then, last week he happened to be driving by a local implement dealer and spotted a rough-looking `74 Ford 7600 with a hay spike, bucket, and scraper. Perfect! He found out it was traded in an hour earlier, so dad bought it on the spot for $5,000. It needs a lot of little things, but runs good and has good tires.

It's a tough market out here.
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Boolit Master

not really a farmall guy but I do have a few. H, M, f-20 and some macormick/deering stuff as well
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

Boolit Grand Master
    Neighbor had a Cub when I was a kid, that's about s close as I have come to one. When I was looking for a small tractor with a belly mower the local used tractor dealer had a cub with a small mower 42" I think, it wasn't a Woods. The carb leaked on it like most Zenith carbs.

If you need a belt for yours, I have found that V belts for less dot com is a lot cheaper than buying locally. the one for my Woods was $34 or $38 plus shipping. It was made in India, but it has lasted several years.

Robert

Boolit Master
    Farmall 504 here.
    Life is so much better with dogs!

1948 M that came to our farm around 1975ish. I once pulled the volunteer fire truck- and the duece and a quarter Kaiser that attempted it first - out of the mud in the creek bottom coastal field. And plowed field after field and moved a thousand ish round bales.
    It's been dry and idle for years, but Lord willing I'll get her going again someday.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

I had a cub f series woods belly mower, plow cultivators and the wheel weights. ad had several over the years. He drew up with a F12 and a super H at home. He had a 400 with wide front conversion, 504 Mounted 2 row picker on it most of fall, 706, 1066, 74XX with front assist. He started on the original 40 acres with a oliver row crop on steel tracks, didnt do lot of cultivating or spraying then.

Boolit Master

I was the proud and sometimes frustrated owner of a dealer sample Cub with hydraulic lift front blade, wheel weights, a swinging draw bar and later added Wood mower deck. The original paint color was white. I was told the white paint indicated the tractor was a dealer owned unit they would loan to perspective buyers. The carb bowl to carb top was warped from multiple gaskets and over tightening. Trued it by taping a sheet of 220 sandpaper on a glass plate and sanding until I couldn’t see daylight under the mating surface. Finished on 360 grit and then crocus cloth. It drug a dozen deer back to the barn, cut 5 acres of grass and plowed snow for 15 years before I sold to a collector when we moved.

Boolit Master
    I grew up with Farmall don't remember all of them but had a 1938 F-12, F-30, M, Super M, 1945 A with a 5' belly mower and the last one was a 674. Now all I have is a 30 hp Kubota with loader and finish mower.

Boolit Master
    I learned to drive on a Cub when I was 13. Mowed fields with the sickle bar, hauled rocks with the sled for a rock garden. Had to hit the starter and choke just right or it wouldn't start. The parking brake in the barn was a cinder block. In a hurry one morning I backed over and crushed the cinder block. I had an instant understanding how fragile cinder block is compared to concrete.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast