RotoMetals2Load DataRepackboxReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingInline FabricationLee Precision
Wideners

Thread: Inside neck reaming: Logic Check

Inside neck reaming: Logic Check

I've never had the need to ream a case neck, but that is about to change; I am forming Tokarev brass from .223, and have a 30-06 rifle that requires a .313" boolit (Argentine Mauser, rechambered but not rebarreled). Anyway, neither will accept a projectile without bulging to an unacceptable degree (flaring the case mouth will get them started, but a bulge appears immediately below that). So, as I understand it, I need something along the lines of a Forster inside-neck reamer, to thin the brass in the necks of these cases. That would be the .308 and .303 reamers, respectively. Have I got this right?

Boolit Master
    When making 7.65x53mm argy brass from 8mm Israeli I had to neck ream because I was down into the thicker part of the 8mm brass. I used a .311 neck reamer. Form and trim die for the 7.65 case, then neck ream with Foster case trimmer and then neck size. I used Sierra .311 dia 150 grain bullets. Never had a problem with the 8mm cases so converted. Bought the 8mm cases at a local gun show, about 450 for about $30. Still have about 175 or so left. Frank

I remember that the Forster reamers have different real measures than the nominal ones, and that Forster sent me anyway any specific, custom, real measure I had requested to work on my .308 cases. Fine people and accurate customer service, indeed.
    Food is overrated. A nice rifle is way more important.
    Rob

Boolit Buddy

You might be over thinking the remedy , have you tried the 303 Brit expander ball in the 06 size die?, Then see if the empty case will chamber ?? if it does, then seat the .313 bullet and see if it still chambers ..

The Tok might be finicky if you mix brass, but shouldn't be much more of a chore than a .300 BO. Tok diameters being larger than the .223 cases, you still might have to ream but a couple thousandths mistake in reamer diameter selection can leave loose neck tension. I went thru this cut and test with the 8mm Kurz and it changed my outlook on buying factory brass. It was aPITA....

Quote Originally Posted by SOFMatchstaff View Post
    You might be over thinking the remedy , have you tried the 303 Brit expander ball in the 06 size die?, Then see if the empty case will chamber ?? if it does, then seat the .313 bullet and see if it still chambers ..

The Tok might be finicky if you mix brass, but shouldn't be much more of a chore than a .300 BO. Tok diameters being larger than the .223 cases, you still might have to ream but a couple thousandths mistake in reamer diameter selection can leave loose neck tension. I went thru this cut and test with the 8mm Kurz and it changed my outlook on buying factory brass. It was aPITA....
    The 303 expander sounds like a good idea, certainly easier than reaming, as long as the round will chamber. I don't have one handy, but perhaps I can find one somewhere. I have an unlimited supply of free 223/556 brass, so froming Tokarev cases is a very attractive prospect. I've already purchased a mini chopsaw from Harbor Freight, and it makes short work of cutting the brass down. It seemse I'll just have a take a risk with the reamer, as the brass is definitely too thick.

.308 and .303 reamers, respectively. Have I got this right?

HD, Forster neck reamers are marked [on the shaft] .308" and .311"-.312". I use more of the latter than the former for removing "the dreaded donut" from reformed brass for my M 1909 Arg. Mauser. Hope this helps.
    Last edited by Maven; 06-17-2021 at 06:37 PM.

Boolit Master
    I have Not yet had a need to inside ream. Making 22-30's does require neck "turning".
    I check by trying to put a Boolit into a "well fireformed", fired, round. If it won't go I generally "Turn". If a donut forms at the shoulder, then a "ream" is Necessary. Hope that makes sense..
    Just the way I was Taught, betting there is more than one "method"..