WidenersTitan ReloadingInline FabricationRepackbox
Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rust on molds

Boolit Master
    I use a bead blaster with glass or sugar sand for rust.

Boolit Master
    Evaporust works well. A typewriter eraser will also clean up small rust spots. You can still get them on line. They look like a pencil with a brush on the end. Faber-Castell pencil with brush 3 pack.
    SMOKELESS IS JUST A PASSING FAD!-STEVE GARBE

FORMER NJ HUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR
    GOA LIFE MEMBER
    SASS LIFE MEMBER

ADAPT, IMPROVISE, OVERCOME!
    "ANY MAN WHO THINKS HE CAN BE HAPPY AND PROSPEROUS BY LETTING THE GOVERNMENT TAKE CARE OF HIM, BETTER TAKE A CLOSER LOOK AT THE AMERICAN INDIAN!"-HENRY FORD

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by oldcanadice View Post
    You guys that use evaporust: Do you soak the molds in it or wipe-on wipe off. How do you rinse the molds and handles so the residue comes off?
    Soak the part in evaporust, as per directions, take it apart, wash off the part with water, dry with air hose or canned air spray for computers, apply light oil-I use Kano-Kroil. Light gun oil works good too. Use brake cleaner to wash off mold and smoke them before use. Works for me.

GOA LIFE MEMBER
    SASS LIFE MEMBER

"ANY MAN WHO THINKS HE CAN BE HAPPY AND PROSPEROUS BY LETTING THE GOVERNMENT TAKE CARE OF HIM, BETTER TAKE A CLOSER LOOK AT THE AMERICAN INDIAN!"-HENRY FORD

Boolit Master
    I just finished cleaning up a mold I bought from flea bay. It looked OK in the pictures, but it had a fair amount of rust and crud on it when it arrived. I let it sit in Evapo Rust, completely apart, for a couple of hours, brushed off a lot of rust with an acid brush, washed it off with hot water, dried it with computer compressed air, and then took a type writer eraser to it and cleaned it up pretty good. I used a Faber-Castell perfection #7058B eraser made in Germany. I oiled it prior to re- assembly. Looks pretty good.

GOA LIFE MEMBER
    SASS LIFE MEMBER

Boolit Master
    If rust is light boiling and polishing with fine steel wool and oil works, I have also cast a couple of bullets with the mould and used that to lap out cavity. I have also used some of the other methods it all depends on how rusty and where it is. Regards Stephen

My first mold was given to me in a box of stuff. I knew nothing and it took CB to tell me it looked like a HG. It was pretty rusty in and out. I went easy and cleaned up the old .38 WC mold with Evaporust. Its really nice but the cavities are pitted. It still works great anyways.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12