RotoMetals2WidenersRepackboxLee Precision
Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataReloading Everything
Snyders Jerky Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What to do with cast loads and no gun in caliber?

Boolit Buddy

What to do with cast loads and no gun in caliber?

Sold my rifle and have several dozen loaded cartridges with cast bullets left. Some jacketed loads I was able to pull and reuse the projectiles, and sell the brass. The cast loads are crimped so they don't really want to come out of the case using a collet puller and I would probably destroy my plastic impact puller if I did more than a few.

Should I just toss these? It is worth trying something else to salvage components? 30-40 Krag brass that has been fired more than once.

Boolit Master
    I've used an impact puller very successfully on crimped cases (more 30-40 cartridges than I can count!!), But using your press and placing a soft jawed pair of pliers above the die set and using the cam action of the puller is also very simple. Both recover the powder and primer and brass - and it's up to you how many bullets you salvage (and therefore how many go back in the pot for another casting session).

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    i've done more than 35,000 with a impact hammer.

Banned
    IF it's rifle brass, put the cartridge in the shell holder, raise the ram through the top of the press, grip boolit with side cutters/wire strippers/--- then lower the ram.

watch out for the threads

Boolit Master
    As previously stated, you will not destroy your impact puller.

Don
    NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Boolit Buddy
    Your puller will be fine, I’ve disassembled 700gr heavy crimped 500 Mag ! Just use some hard wood to whack against.

Boolit Master

Done many hundreds with an impact puller. Use it. It will be ok.

Boolit Master
    I use the pliers on the bullet trick on the reloading press. Only issue is it destroys the bullet. But, being cast you can just toss them back in the pot. I like it much better than the impact hammer.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by charlie b View Post
    I use the pliers on the bullet trick on the reloading press. Only issue is it destroys the bullet. But, being cast you can just toss them back in the pot. I like it much better than the impact hammer.
    This also tends to leave gas checks in the case neck.

Save them for your next 30-40!

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

buy a Krag and shoooot!

Quote Originally Posted by richhodg66 View Post
    This also tends to leave gas checks in the case neck.
    But I've had gas checks left in the neck with an impact puller.

To cure that I've got a piece of baling wire bent into a very tight hook that will fit through the mouth of the case.

Push the gas check into it case with a punch, shake out all the powder, then hold the case upside down, reach in with the baling wire and pull it out.

On bottleneck cases the gas check is usually sitting sideways and the wire pushes past it and snags it on the way back out.

I can usually get it on the first or second try.

And another vote for the lineman's pliers, the press and pulling the boolits, then back into the pot.

Way easier on the hand and the ears.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by 15meter View Post
    But I've had gas checks left in the neck with an impact puller.

To cure that I've got a piece of baling wire bent into a very tight hook that will fit through the mouth of the case.

Push the gas check into it case with a punch, shake out all the powder, then hold the case upside down, reach in with the baling wire and pull it out.

On bottleneck cases the gas check is usually sitting sideways and the wire pushes past it and snags it on the way back out.

I can usually get it on the first or second try.

And another vote for the lineman's pliers, the press and pulling the boolits, then back into the pot.

Way easier on the hand and the ears.
    I can understand the OP's reluctance to do all that, sounds like a very time taxing job with little reward.

If it were me, I would try and make a trade with someone you trust, or squirrel them away for possible use in the future. If times ever got really tight, then I would go through the effort to pull them down and recycle components.

Banned

It really isn't that much work and Krag brass is worth saving, hard to find even before the shortage.

Boolit Master
    I just use a slender needle nose pliers to pull lost gas checks out through neck sideways after dumping/shaking powder out of case. Farrier's nippers or horse shoe pullers work well for pulling bullets, with many bullets still usable after pulling, slight marks but little accuracy change under 100 yards.

Boolit Master

Send them to my address. I'll get rid of them for ya. I'll even pay shipping.

Boolit Grand Master

I've used an impact puller on a brazillion military armor piercing 30-06 rounds ...WWII surplus ammo from machine gun belts .
    Hint : To break the seal / crimp ... seat the bullets a little deeper ... yes deeper! this breaks the crimp and sealant (military ammo) and the inertia pulling is much easier ... Trust Me !
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master

Cast.. Just put case thru press with no die, grab bullet with pliers..lower ram. Re melt bullet.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
    I've used an impact puller on a brazillion military armor piercing 30-06 rounds ...WWII surplus ammo from machine gun belts .
    Hint : To break the seal / crimp ... seat the bullets a little deeper ... yes deeper! this breaks the crimp and sealant (military ammo) and the inertia pulling is much easier ... Trust Me !
    Gary
    ^^^what he said!!!^^^

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Conditor22 View Post
    IF it's rifle brass, put the cartridge in the shell holder, raise the ram through the top of the press, grip boolit with side cutters/wire strippers/--- then lower the ram.

watch out for the threads
    This is what I do. Krag brass is worth saving and the bullets can be remelted. I use Lineman pliers.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast