WidenersInline FabricationRepackboxReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Load Data

Thread: Rossi m92 puma

Boolit Bub

Rossi m92 puma

In 2020 I acquired a interarms imported rossi m92 puma 357 magnum.

I am having issues cycling the action using factory bullet styles. I am using 158 grain hornady xtp 357 magazine and Winchester 130 grain fmj. If I work the action at a snail's pace I get decent cycle reliability, yet pickup the pace to the rate.i shoot my Winchester 94 and I get jams.

Could anyone recommend a bullet style for smooth feeding?

Boolit Master

Thats opposite of the norm.

I have had three. None where great till I Disassembled and smoothed things out. Then they where delightful!

There is a number of good videos on Utube to outline the work.

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Bub
    Cwlongshot I had the same thoughts as well as I sat in Costa Rica last week.

Boolit Master
    I have a .44 and .45LC that I bought new within the last 7 months, both function smoothly, when worked slow or fast, but seem to do better the faster you work them.

Boolit Buddy
    Not trying to hi jack the thread, but if you get to a point of frustration.....PM me, Ill gladly taking the jam o matic Puma off your hands...I need another project ......Regards,

Banner Sponsor

I have a 45 and a 357, the swc seem to have problems feeding, but the Lee RF styles feed well. Keep an I on the coal . Too long will hang up.

Maybe the magazine spring needs replacing? There are probably other springs involved, as well.

Boolit Master

Mine feeds empty cases...

Dont get too balled up, Just follow direction and in about a hour yours will too!

CW

Moderator Emeritus

I have one that feeds anything. I have another that feeds the 358156 in 38 cases and nothing in 357 even empty cases. It is accurate with those pushed fast. If you cast try the lee 125 gr rf.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

I have an Interarms Rossi in 357. The darn thing will choke if the OAL of the cartridge is wrong. It will also choke on any bullet that has a shoulder where the base of the nose transitions to the full bullet diameter as the bullet goes into the casing. It absolutely hates SWC's unless I cycle the action really slow.

BUT... I found that if I load round flat nosed bullets (Lee .358 158RF or 125 RF) I can cycle as fast as I can and they will feed as long as I keep the OAL around 1.525". If longer, they jam. If much shorter, they jam. I am using this gun for cowboy action shooting, and I have not outrun it yet. (Maybe someday???).
    Try other cartridges and see if they work better or worse. Hopefully you know of someone that reloads. If so, get with them and play around with the OAL of the cartridge. You should have good luck with round nose, found flat and truncated cone style bullets. Stay away from wadcutters, semi wadcutters, etc., with the shoulder on the bullet nose. PM if you would like my phone # or email so we can chat. It's a great gun.

Sam Sackett

PS. Seriously, if you decide it's too much bother or you can't fing a cartridge to work, please let me know. I'd love to have a second one as a backup gun. I really like these old guns!

The Rossis will teach you all about the Winchester 92 pattern action. I've never met one that didn't need work to run right- but I've liked every one of them once they were sorted. The 44-40 is the one that I wish I'd kept..

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Sackett View Post
    I have an Interarms Rossi in 357. The darn thing will choke if the OAL of the cartridge is wrong. It will also choke on any bullet that has a shoulder where the base of the nose transitions to the full bullet diameter as the bullet goes into the casing. It absolutely hates SWC's unless I cycle the action really slow.

BUT... I found that if I load round flat nosed bullets (Lee .358 158RF or 125 RF) I can cycle as fast as I can and they will feed as long as I keep the OAL around 1.525". If longer, they jam. If much shorter, they jam. I am using this gun for cowboy action shooting, and I have not outrun it yet. (Maybe someday???).
    Try other cartridges and see if they work better or worse. Hopefully you know of someone that reloads. If so, get with them and play around with the OAL of the cartridge. You should have good luck with round nose, found flat and truncated cone style bullets. Stay away from wadcutters, semi wadcutters, etc., with the shoulder on the bullet nose. PM if you would like my phone # or email so we can chat. It's a great gun.

Sam Sackett

PS. Seriously, if you decide it's too much bother or you can't fing a cartridge to work, please let me know. I'd love to have a second one as a backup gun. I really like these old guns!
    yep cant beat those two LEE boolits for the 357 Rossi - the combo makes a neat little blackpowder round too - (the LEE 158RF and a case full of FFFg or even FFFFg)

Boolit Grand Master
    IMHO, part of the issue is the action. I had one in .45 Colt and it never cycled smoothly like the 1894's or 1873 clones. Back when I shot CAS, none of the fast competitive shooters used them. But they are half the price, or used to be, so there is a niche for them. Bullet style and COAL will get you to a workable combination and some good suggestions already.

Good luck.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master

Neutered 10mm has a few videos. Easy to follow and understand.

https://youtu.be/ZYg2hyqUKO0

https://youtu.be/zVUb6vybexw

There are a number of other folks offering a good informative video. DONT OVER THINK THIS!! It is a 1892 Winchester copy.

https://youtu.be/_ENMY1wTN2I

CW

Boolit Master
    Something I noticed with a few I've messed with is a tendency to need to point it down and give a jiggle of the lever or two to feed .357's as opposed to .38's which fed flawlessly with RNFP or truncated cone boolits. With some, the shoulder on a SWC can be a show-stopper but others seem to be okay with them. If you open the lever with an empty or dummy round fed from the magazine, look down into the open action where the rim is positioned to come up through the cartridge guide cuts. You may notice tooling marks and a certain roughness on the cartridge guide cuts the rim comes up through as it starts to align with the chamber. The more smoothed they get from use, the more rapidly and reliably they fed the longer .357's. If this is the difficulty with yours, they can be smoothed and polished with a bit of fine emery cloth or steel wool to remove burrs and sharp edges BY HAND, not with a power tool - but only just smooth them, don't go for completely removing all traces of tool marks. It's important to not change the shape, width or depth of the guide cuts. This is an operation which requires repeated disassembly and re-assembly to test whether it feeds without this "stickiness", so be patient and plan to take some time. It's easy to go too far and have a condition where the cartridge on the carrier flips completely out of the rifle as you close the action. New guides are the only answer then.

The '92 was designed around bottle-necked cases which are smaller up front and easier to get in the hole. A cylindrical cartridge (.357) needs to come up a little higher in the back as the boolit enters the chamber to get "around the corner" of the chamber's edge. A RNFP boolit is your friend in this regard. Another work-around is to load to .357 OAL in .38 Spl cases, which leaves the front end a little smaller (.358 rather than .375"), but I no longer load them to .357 pressures for fear that one may find its way into an old revolver and mayhem ensue. A smaller meplat or shorter OAL also helps, but I like a big flat on mine, and since the guides are now smooth, RNFP .357's at proper OAL feed fine now. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

BTW, Nate Kiowa Jones, aka Steve of Steve's Gunz specializes in the '92. There's a lot of info/options there: https://stevesgunz.com/
    Last edited by yeahbub; 06-16-2021 at 12:19 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    I have had many rossi 92s and the number one thing for reliable feeding is shimming the cartridge guide so that they are only a few thousandths wider than your loaded round.

4/5 of my rossis had .015 or larger clearance and it lets the loaded round bounce nose high and miss the chamber. 38 specials have thinner brass and sometimes loaded rounds would eject out of the action when working it fast.

Usually I remove one guide and put a strip of aluminum foil or business card behind it and then it feeds slick as snot with all OAL except 38 wadcutters.

Boolit Bub
    if its brand new just keep using it. After about 500-1000 rounds mine feeds everything. Great rifle. I did change the ejector spring, though i dont think this had anything to do with it. Was tired of hunting brass down, now they land at my feet.

For what its worth, 358429 loaded over the driving band with a charge of 14.5 grns Imr 4227 is the most accurate 357 round ive ever shot outta this rifle. It has become my go to, but only with this rifle.

Boolit Master
    I've got same gun with same problem, interarms imported pre safety Rossi 92 in 357mag, 358156 in 357 mag brass both feeds and shoots great. mp 359125 also works well. gun is very picky as to what cycles smoothly or at all through it.
    perfect candidate for Steve gunz slicking methods I guess