Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersRotoMetals2
Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Repackbox

Thread: Star Sizer Stopped Working - Plugged?

Star Sizer Stopped Working - Plugged?

My Star Sizer decided to quit pumping wax this morning. I removed the die that was in it and attempted to pump wax with no luck. A bit came out of the hole that feed the die but nothing afterwards. The unit is about half full of lube. I checked the plunger that applies pressure on the tube of lube and it seems to be working ok. I use a Magna heater and it is on. I suspect the unit is plugged from where the lube enters the area before the ram pushes the lube into the die area. I know I likely am not using the right terms but if you have the machine you know what I am referring to. I am wondering if I add enough heat to turn the wax into a liquid if the downward pressure on the tube of lube would be enough to foce the wax through and free the unit. I

I removed the Inspection plug and akk I see there is a shiny piece of metal which U assume is part of the ram that forces lube into the die.

I have to say this unit comes with the a manual completely devoid of anything but the barest of information. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Take Care

Bob
    Its been months since I bought the book, "How to scam people online". It still has not arrived yet!

"If the human population held hands around the equator, a significant portion of them would drown"

OK before I give you guys a chance to come up with a solution I got it working again. I heated the lube just below the waxes melting point but still pretty runny, cleaned up what some here might describe as a small mess - my ego refuses to admit it qualifies as a mess, I turned the heat off let things cool down, reinserted the die and the top die and the machine is working as it should again. Whatever was preventing the lube from moving to the die has been eliminated and life has returned to normal. I don't suppose I would be the first to ask why a somewhat more extensive manual could be produced. This machine has been around since the 30's and I have not. Surely there was at one time a more descripted manual than what now passes for same.

Take Care

Bob
    Its been months since I bought the book, "How to scam people online". It still has not arrived yet!

"If the human population held hands around the equator, a significant portion of them would drown"

Boolit Buddy
    Greetings,

I just finished greasing some bullets myself.

Occasionally, an pocket of air gets trapped inside the feed reservoir. I end up removing the 1/4-20 set screw for the die and crank down the spring tension while pumping the handle. Eventually, I will get some popping sounds followed by grease pushing out the air.

Your heating method probably allowed the air to rise as the grease liquefied.

I sort of like your approach and may try it myself. Thanks for the idea.

Cheers,

Dave

Dave have something under the die when you do it. When the was turns liquid it runs and runs and runs. I found a bit late had I left a bullet the die and the die in the sizer my er ah er mess might have been a tad less. I suspect it likely was an air pocket.

Your welcome. All the best

Take Care

Bob

A year later and I am again running into the same problem. Tomorow I will unscrew the brass scre at the bottom of the sizer and try to bleed off some air. I hope that what is the issue. Frustrating!

Take Care

Bob

Boolit Master
    Are you refilling the lube sizer with hollow stick lube or solid stick lube, or perhaps pouring in melted lube?

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by robertbank View Post
    A year later and I am again running into the same problem. Tomorow I will unscrew the brass scre at the bottom of the sizer and try to bleed off some air. I hope that what is the issue. Frustrating!

Take Care

Bob
    So sorry to read of your deja voo! Question: What brand/type lub is in your Star? I have three of these, with nary a problem ever with the Magma blue stuff or the one with Lyman Orange Magic. However -- I have had lapses of operation which I guessed to be air pockets in the third... In this case (fortunately it was mid-summer out at the time) I took entire unit, unbolted from base heater, out and dropped it into a large pot of water boiling on my propane smelting burner. I had had all sorts of different remnants in the unit, so I thought it might be a smart move to melt/clean ALL out. My major recollection was seeing what appeared to be three times the lub come out of the machine than I thought possibly could have been in it!

Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Bannister View Post
    Are you refilling the lube sizer with hollow stick lube or solid stick lube, or perhaps pouring in melted lube?
    No solid tubes from the manufactuer. The machine has only been fed solid Magna lube. I also use the air assist set at 42lbs. It might need a complete clean pput as Georgerkahn did with his. I just put a new tube in so it may wall just be an air pocket. I will remove the inspection plug and see if I can bleed off some air.

Take Care

Bob

Boolit Master

Make sure the piston is returning for a full stroke. The piston has to fully return to allow lube in where the piston can force some lube out.
    You may need to disassemble and clean out the piston area. This area is the last to get heated by the heater.