WidenersReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
RepackboxLoad DataInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Lee Precision
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 38 special

Boolit Master
    Not as high as some are posting but 6 grains of HS6 with the Speer lead SWC with a magnum primer in 38 special is an absolute tack driver out of any of the 38 or 357 revolvers I have and was just under and over 900 fps depending on barrel length. The ones I loaded hotter to get close to 1000 fps did not have the accuracy and started leading barrel. The best accuracy and highest fps came from a 14-3 with a 8 inch barrel.
    I couldn’t get 231 or Unique to give the performance that I got with HS6 though there are many other powders that others have.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    I use mostly Bullseye or 452AA, which I still have multiple 8-lb. caddies leftover from my bullseye competition days.

My loads with each powder mimmick CharGars.

I don't use a Ransom Rest, but do check loads in a bull-barreled BSA-Martini with 10X Unertl scope and also from several Colt New Service, Official Police and Officer's Model Match revolvers, as well as S&W .38-44 Heavy Duty off sandbags. Lately a tricked out Ruger New Model Blackhawk has been factored into the mix because it was the only recent production revolver I had which would hold its own against the older Colts.

Best loads should produce sub-2-inch six-shot 50-yard groups from the revolvers on demand, anytime.

From the bull barrelled BSA-Martini and Unertl scope sub-two inches average over a series of fifty continuous rounds, excluding none, firing five consecutive ten-shot groups at fifty yards.

Take-aways:

Soft bullets 8-10 BHN,
    FAT diameter .360"+
    Redding Profile Crimp
    Remington primers seated in a clean pocket.
    New Starline cases best
    Or older W-W, R-P or Federal WADCUTTER brass having mouth wall thickness not exceeding 0.010" for a 1/2" distance below the case mouth, with cases being trimmed 100% to eliminate any long ones, so all are 1.150-1.155".

"Short" cases under 1.150" are sorted out and lotted up separately and bullets in those seated out to achieve a snug push fit in the cylinder charge holes, mated to the specific gun.

With factory 148-grain Winchester or Remington HBWCs, I load 3.0 grains Bullseye or 452AA at 1.20" OAL.

With Saeco #348 146-grain DEWC I load 3.5 grains of Bullseye or 452AA at 1.25" OAL with the sprue cut oriented forward.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post

With factory 148-grain Winchester or Remington HBWCs, I load 3.0 grains Bullseye or 452AA at 1.20" OAL.

With Saeco #348 146-grain DEWC I load 3.5 grains of Bullseye or 452AA at 1.25" OAL with the sprue cut oriented forward.
    What do you put behind a 158 grain bullet?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12