RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyRepackboxWideners
Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLoad DataInline Fabrication
Lee Precision MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Midwest Powders

Boolit Bub

Midwest Powders

Anyone have info on this powder? Several places are selling the powders they make. In particular, I would like to know about their MP 195 pistol powder. Can't find much about it except for a 40S&W and a 45acp load. One each. Anybody got more? Thanks and Best wishes

Boolit Master
    I had a bad experience once with the American reloading, bait and switch on 6.8 bullets, I gave them one chance and they blew it,
    I believe they are repackaging powder they got somewhere else, I don't think they make anything.
    just my opinion

Boolit Buddy

Re: Midwest Powders

I know of a site that has "MP 195 Pistol Powder" for sale right now.....not much info on the product page though.
    But look at the top of the page, "Click Here" in blue will take you to the web version of their newsletter email.

Scroll down, there it says: "MP 195 Pistol Powder (Burns 40-50 on the chart, similar to W 572)"

Searching will bring many queries just like yours on lots of forums across the net regarding other MP powders.
    Some have gone as far as emailing the sellers and have received replies like this....and I am c & p quoting here....

"Midwest Powders is simply a distributor that gets overrun powder from large manufactures of ammunition.
    The powder is virgin and never used but has been re packaged from large drums to jugs.
    If the label says it is similar to CFE 223 than that will be what to compare it to.
    We can't call it CFE 223 but we can "compare it". Hope this helps!"

A couple of years ago MP powders could be had at real bargain prices...like $13 - $15 per pound.
    I never read any complaints by users of the powders, but that doesn't mean there aren't any.

I will admit that I was tempted by this one, but now that it is well over $20 a pound, not so much...
    the gap is too small between this and the real Win 572 that I have on back order.

Your needs may be different....but I hope this helps.

Boolit Buddy
    Just before I run out of my real Accurate 1680
    I am going to open up the "MP 350 Military Smokeless Rifle Powder"
    said to be "similar" to 1680 that I bought last August for $14.90 a pound,
    and compare the two side by side....
    Make some starting loads of each, all same same except for powder and test.

I will try and report back on what I find.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Cord View Post
    Just before I run out of my real Accurate 1680
    I am going to open up the "MP 350 Military Smokeless Rifle Powder"
    said to be "similar" to 1680 that I bought last August for $14.90 a pound,
    and compare the two side by side....
    Make some starting loads of each, all same same except for powder and test.

I will try and report back on what I find.
    I bought 32 lbs of that one. I haven't gotten to loading any of it yet.

I looked at the MP 195...I got better deals waiting for kegs of Shooter's World to show up.

I paid a bit more for the Auto Pistol...but I'm getting a known powder with tons of load data.
    NRA Benefactor.

Boolit Bub
    Thanks so much for your response/help. I still have some of the Midwest Powders from the $12-15 era.

Boolit Master
    I also bought the "MP 350 Military Smokeless Rifle Powder" said to be "similar" to 1680. I still have a good bit of WC 680 to burn before I open up the MP-350. Any reports on use of MP-350 yet?

On another note, Redeye & American Reloading now have three Milsurp powders and they have primers in stock.

For what it is worth, I ran the load data for two of their powders (MP-380 stick and MP-553 ball) through Quickload to estimate burn rates.

Their MP-380 stick powder load data (22 gr under a 55 gr FMJBT in a 223 for 2850 fps) is most likely between H322 and IMR 3031 (if their gun was 18" to 22"), or possibly a little slower (if their gun was over 22"). All calculated pressure values for powders coming close to their velocity at 22 grs charge were on the low side for a 223 (32K to 40K).

Their MP-553 looks to be in the range of H414 to Win 760 or possibly just a little slower. Pressures for these powders at this charge and velocity were pretty hot, 60K.
    Last edited by P Flados; 06-30-2022 at 11:57 PM.

Boolit Grand Master
    There may be lot to lot variations to consider as well. If you have a few jugs of one lot, it will be easier to work with.

A near maximum load with one lot, may not be wise with a different lot so using data from a forum is a bit risky.

If the price was right, I would buy 4 jugs and experiment like Cord suggested. Start low and work your way up. Not much risk if you use common sense.
    Don Verna