Load DataLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Reloading EverythingWidenersSnyders JerkyRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters Supply Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: how many burn rate powders/manufactures do you keep?

When you load for 60+ rifle, shotgun and pistol, starting at the 204 Ruger and ending at the 470 Nitro Express or the 22 Hornet and ending at the 50-70 depending how you define smallest and biggest, I've got a bunch of different powders.

Plus a bunch that I inherited or bought at garage sales cheeep. Found a use for all of them, may not be the ideal use but they all go bang and for non-competition fun shooting that's all I need. More money for the important things in life--beer, more reloading tools/molds/tools in general/iceboat stuff.

Was given an unopened can of 5066 this summer, apparently 60 years it was the cat's meow in handgun loads. It's all good, even if you have to dig a little bit for load data.

Boolit Master
    WOW thats a pretty nice collection of primers, I like the floor magazine its so much more spacious than a locker (easier to find what your lookin for) LOL

Boolit Bub

Hmm, never really counted ... OK, I have 8 powders, but seem to load a majority of my rounds with IMR 4227 or International. There are a fair number of W231, also, and onesie-twosies of IMR 3031, W 296, IMR 4831. Even one with Bullseye, mostly because some one traded it to me for some primers.

Boolit Master

I mainly shoot imr and powders. A very little bit of winchester. Here in the last year I have picked up some Alliant, and now as of last week, Accurate. I'm in the market to also try some Ramshot .. just can't find any true blue.

Of those makers.. I would guess I have about 30 or so different powders.

Boolit Master
    I keep one or two kegs each of H4895, H4350, and H4831 for all jacketed bullet rifle loads for use in about a dozen rifle cartridges from .222 through .300 Magnums.

For cast rifle loads in six or eight cartridges from .30-40 through .45-70 I use 5744, Reloder 7, H4895, and a dwindling supply of SR4759.

For five or six handgun cartridges I use Bullseye, 231, Herco and Unique, but 90% of my handgun cartidges are loaded with the first two.

I went that route of trying many powders for years and had countless containers with varying amounts of powder. Most of the new powders I've tried in the last thirty years offer nothing over powders I was already using, but I guess it's a marketing ploy to have many powders that duplicate many powders.

Boolit Buddy
    I have quite a few. But if we go back to normal where I can get what I want, I'm certainly going to consolidate. Handguns I like having one main one for 9/40/45 and for lower speed revolver loads, along with a middle speed powder for higher velocity handgun and then I keep 2400 and H110 for magnum loads. Rifles each cartridge has its own powder. I am doing cowboy action shooting now and so I may add one even faster burning handgun/shotgun powder for that. I could get by with just a few powders, but variety is the spice of life.

Boolit Master

Southern Middle Tennessee/ Hillsboro Alabama
    Gold Bond and Dr.Scholls . You were talking about foot powder ,,, right ?
    Grumpy Old Man With A Gun....... Do Not Touch !!

The more the better. I have learned through the shortages that I can keep shooting even if the loads are not ideal for the gun.

I tried out a number of different powders when I was developing loads for my rifles. I found that my needs were covered by two or at most three different powders and those are the ones I stock. I still have a few partial bottles of various powders left over from testing but very seldom use them.

Handgun powders are a different story. I have quite a few different ones but only because they were what I could find at the time. Most of my handgun loads are covered by three powders. Most of the powders I picked up during the shortage have been used up for range loads and practice.

Boolit Master
    I have too much variety, and too much quantity. A month ago I was looking everywhere online for a pound of VV 3n37 to try with a light 9mm bullet. Never did find it and was about to post a wtb with a stupid price when I found 5 lbs that I’d forgotten I had.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12