MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Lee PrecisionRepackboxWidenersLoad Data
Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: PC not going into battery

Boolit Master
    my experience with cast boolits & auto pistols is that they need to be crimped, in order to feed reliably.
    the crimp die set correctly, is where you pass the 'plunk' test

The ogive gets larger along with the diameter of the bullet when it is pc’ed. Resizing only affects the diameter. You will need to seat them deeper into the case. Had a similar experience with my 300 blkout.

Banned

I have had the same problem in the past in my wife's SCCY CPX2. I thought the same as you, then I decided to check a dummy round OAL. I found that with the Lee TC pills I needed to seat a bit deeper than the RN pills. I was concerned at first about the depth of the boolits, so I loaded 5 and fired them and they fired flawlessly.

Boolit Master
    If you are running a max load and seating deeper you probably do need to reduce the powder charge a bit. Unless you measure velocity or pressure you won't know when you are over pressure.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonheart View Post
    Sorry, but that is incorrect, just the opposite, cases get longer the more they are reloaded and therein lies the safety issue, especially if you pick up range brass of dubious origin, as I do.

When a cartridge is fired the case expands due to pressure and heat to the size and shape of the firearm's chamber. Once the case starts to cool, which is immediate, there is a a slight spring back allowing the extractor to remove the case from the chamber. However, the case does not return to the original shape and size. Wildcat cases take advantage of this and are often "fire formed" in this manner.

To reshape the case it typically is pushed into a sizing die to allow it to once again hold the bullet and be inserted into a like size chambers. It is the heat and working of the metal that causes the metal's grain structure to lengthen and this is not just metallic cartridge cases.

But the sizing process itself is flawed because the entire case is not resized. The shell holder does not allow the entire case to go into a sizing die, so there is always a ring just above the case's base that goes unsized. Repeated firings in unsupported chambers allows this ring to expand outward and eventually will be so large in diameter that the case will no longer chamber. This expansion of the case as it came to be known as the "Glock Bulge", but in reality this is an issue with firearms with unsupported chambers.

This case Bulge can be removed by pushing the entire case through a properly sized die made for that purpose, further working the metal.
    Quote Originally Posted by Burnt Fingers View Post
    I'm not sure where you get your info, but straight wall cases get shorter. I thought this was common knowledge. Bottle neck cases are a different animal.

http://vintagepistols.com/massreload...ding45ACP.html
    I'm with Burnt Fingers on this one. I have personally measured probably 10,000 auto-loading handgun case lengths after reasizing because I was very anal in my early days. Not one of them grew past max length and they universally got shorter with successive firings and resizing. Many of them shrunk below trim-to lengths (even after sizing). Mine is anecdotal, but it is a decent sample size across several cartridges.

Further a die that sufficiently sizes down to the web will get reloaded brass to gauge reliably. I gauge all of my ammo and it will split before it won't gauge. 80-90% of my straight wall ammo is shot through Glock barrels.
    Last edited by Taterhead; 06-23-2021 at 11:57 PM.
    "There is nothing like looking, if you want to find something."
    ~Thorin Oakenshield

Boolit Master

Just wondering if it makes a difference if boolits are sized nose first or base first. Most of my sizing is done on a Star, nose first. I can see that metal might be displaced forward if sizing base first.

I have a Lyman but don’t think I’ve ever sized boolits for an auto loader on it. It’s used primarily for SWCs for revolvers.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Boolit Mold
    I had a problem in an LCP with .380 bullets not wanting to go into battery that I had PCoated. Sized them down 1 more thousandth and they work fine now. I tried really crimping them hard but it did not work until I sized the whole bullet down one more thousandth.

Boolit Master
    post # 18 also explains why .45 colt cases (as an example where the rims doesn't get boogered up by an extractor) don't fit the normal shell holder after a lot of reloads- the groove gets mashed shut.
    Loren

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Taterhead View Post
    I'm with Burnt Fingers on this one. I have personally measured probably 10,000 auto-loading handgun case lengths after reasizing because I was very anal in my early days. Not one of them grew past max length and they universally got shorter with successive firings and resizing. Many of them shrunk below trim-to lengths (even after sizing). Mine is anecdotal, but it is a decent sample size across several cartridges.

Further a die that sufficiently sizes down to the web will get reloaded brass to gauge reliably. I gauge all of my ammo and it will split before it won't gauge. 80-90% of my straight wall ammo is shot through Glock barrels.
    Gentlemen, I stand corrected as it appears there is an adequate mechanical reason for straight wall cases head spacing on the case mouth to get shorter in length. Thanks for bringing this to my attention.

After every firing I pneumatically run all my straight wall cases through a die to push out the bulge that develops above the rim before standard resizing. I started this years ago to assure every case would chamber. So my additional reworking of my brass appears to causing me to get a different result from the norm.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12