Titan ReloadingInline FabricationRotoMetals2Load Data
RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionWideners
Reloading Everything

Thread: Identify Remodel antique single shot shotgun find in wall

Boolit Bub

Identify Remodel antique single shot shotgun find in wall

Looking for anyone who might be able to assiste me with identifying a dun discovered in a wall cavity from a house in Alabama.
    There is writing on gun very hard to read have some pictures just not able to upload to this site keeps telling me it failed.

Gun has an external hammer the break open mechanism appears to have been a on the right side of the gun forward of the trigger maybe a push button ( the exact part is missing) given the condition of the gun and the look of the trigger guard I want to say manufactured on 1800's. all the screws on the gun are slotted and no Philips head screws used. Trigger guard metal extends beyond the trigger guard area and goes down the stock like a strap for about 6 inches.

part of the writing on the gun appears to say patent applied for

If you know anything about shotguns this old and would like to assist identifying it send me a message and I will send the pictures I have of the gun.

Thanks for the help

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210612_235152[10230].jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	75.1 KB 
ID:	284440

Name:	20210612_235556.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	28.7 KB 
ID:	284441Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210612_235617.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	32.9 KB 
ID:	284442Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210612_235642.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	30.7 KB 
ID:	284443Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210612_235830.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	40.8 KB 
ID:	284444Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210612_235851.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	26.0 KB 
ID:	284446
    Last edited by deboog93; 06-13-2021 at 12:02 AM.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Anybody’s guess with no pictures. Take it to a gunsmith
    Regards
    John

Boolit Master
    Pictures are probably too large. Resize to a smaller file size and keep trying. Less than 1 mb should post ok. Hard to even guess without more detail. Is it like this?

Name:	61240011-48E3-477C-BC12-9B08AC771052.jpeg 
Views:	466 
Size:	20.1 KB 
ID:	284439
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Bub
    pics added

a very abused single shot shotgun, not shootable to me.

Boolit Buddy
    It looks very much like a Davenport Arms Co single shot shotgun.
    The shape of the frame, the heavy forend iron.
    The trigger guard may be a replacement from some other gun.

That missing piece and shallow recess in the forward part of the frame is for a quick take down latch.
    The barrel hinge pin is screwed through the frame and has a spring loaded latch on the right side to assist in screwing it into and out of position. When in place, that latch portion can then be snapped down into the recess and flush with the frame. A slight thumbnail cut in the frame allows you to lift it back out again.

The gun should have a hole in the top of the frame right behind the hammer for the 'top lever'. Seems to be missing the top lever in the pics. That is what would be used to open the gun/unlock the breech.

I think the gun was partially disassembled at some point so it couldn't be fired. The firing pin hole cross wise thru the side of the frame looks to be filled with perhaps lead solder. The firing pin I am guessing, is removed.
    The action is probably locked shut and can't easily be opened w/o the top lever in place,,so the gun would have been safe to have around as a display piece.

All just my guesses and opinions of course.

The roll marked impression on the left side of the frame has some decorative scroll work with a word(ing) above and to the left of it that I can't read.
    To the lower right of the scroll it says 'Special' .

Probably a gun branded in one of the many 'House Brand Names' that these companys would gladly make for a customer if they would buy their guns in some quantity.

The other possibility is that it's a Crescent Firearm Co product. They made thousands of single and SxS shotguns under a 100 or more different names.
    But I still think it's a Davenport product by the shape of the frame and forend iron.
    Hopkins & Allen bought out Davenport IIRC,,so maybe H&A is another possibility.

H&A also used a Take Down latch on some of their single shot shotguns. But the ones I can recall are different from the Davenport style in that they are fitted into the left side of the frame instead of the Davenports right side. Plus they are shaped much differently.

There's always the chance that H&A used Davenport parts to build guns when H&A first took Davenport over.
    Then the Davenport style TD shows up on an H&R gun. I know that H&A continued to use the Davenport name as a sort of House Brand name on their rifles. Not sure about shotguns.

....About all I can say!

Boolit Master
    That is a Hopkins and Allen single shot shotgun. I had 2 in the shop recently working on them, small stuff. They also made the trade guns for a lot of different hardware store chains, along with Iver Johnson. The post previous to this one is right on about the Davenports shotguns. H&A used this for a lot of their shotguns, in the first half of their manufacturing days.

The name of the shotgun appears to be located on the LH receiver sidewall, but I cannot make it out from the pic(s).
    Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Master

I got mine without a barrel. Printing on the right side is the patent. Mine has 00 and 01for patent dates. Decided to do something different so when I ended up with a box of 28 gauge brass shot gun shell I measured to see how big a bullet it would take, looks like .590". Next make a barrel that size and fit it to the action. This should be about like a 577 Snider for power. Still need to make the extractor and forearm then a bullet mold the proper size. Used a standard 28 gauge chamber reamer.