Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2RepackboxLoad DataReloading Everything
Wideners

Thread: 1884 Trapdoor Woods Sporter

Boolit Buddy

1884 Trapdoor Woods Sporter

When I got this Trapdoor rifle the barrel was already cut to 24" and the stock had been cut back to a stub and there were no sights. I attached a front sight base with JB Weld and a Krag 1902 rear sight with one screw just to try shooting it and then put it away for awhile. Last year I took it out again and looking at it the barrel seemed a bit gangly for the shortened stock so I checked out the proportion of barrel to stock of the Trapdoor Carbine and decided to cut the barrel back to 20" to get the same look and better handling. The barrel was filed flat and an RCBS chamfering tool used to clean up the crown.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2778.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	85.2 KB 
ID:	284417 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2780.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	85.3 KB 
ID:	284418 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2783.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	48.5 KB 
ID:	284421

To replace the temporary rear sight I made a simple sight that would use the tang screw and not require any further alteration and would work nicely in the woods.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2782.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	73.3 KB 
ID:	284419 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2770.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	43.3 KB 
ID:	284420

An old feeler gauge body was used for the forward portion with the pieces held together with JB Weld and the elevation screw and one of the thicker gauge fingers allowed flex for the adjustments to be made. A Williams sight eyepiece is held in place by two size 00 faucet washes that were softened a bit in a microwave to accept the eyepiece that is now held securely in place. The rubber washes also match the contour of the feeler gauge body piece. The sight is the same width as the tang and sits centered over it.

I developed a hunting load using a LEE 459-405-HB and 24.0gr IMR4227 topped with a .75gr puff of dacron which chronographed at a comfortable 1120fps. Took it hunting in VT several days this past season but didn't get a shot. One day I met a local hunter at the end of the day and as we chatted I noticed he kept looking down at the rifle but didn't ask about it. You don't see many 20" Trapdoors in the deer woods these days but this one is definitely going back.

I like it ! I shot a deer a couple years ago with a Werndl rifle that I brought back to life now as a 45-70. Have fun ��

Jedman

Boolit Master
    I have one similar to yours. Nice looking rifle thanks for sharing the pics with us.

Boolit Master

Nice work. I love the sight.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Great work, Doctor. You brought it back to life. I would hunt with it too!

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    It turned out great. You made yourself a nice little carbine there for sure. I like your ideas on the sights and how to mount them too.

Boolit Mold
    I really admire your rifle, and even more your skills and ingenuity to build the gun the way it turned out. Very nice job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Go on to trapdoorcollector.com post the serial # of the rifle they will be able to tell you when it was made and any other info on your rifle . I just love the trapdoor 45-70 rifles .

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    Very nice! A great looking rifle!

Years ago, I had a "cut down" 45/70 but had no real interest in it so traded it off. Now I'm looking for a trapdoor to play with - funny how our interests change. A "cut down" (Bannerman Special) would be a fun project.

Thanks for sharing - you did a great job!