Snyders JerkyInline FabricationReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRepackboxLoad Data
RotoMetals2 Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So I Bought This S&W 500 Mag, Used RCBS Dies, and 150 Spent Shells...

So I Bought This S&W 500 Mag, Used RCBS Dies, and 150 Spent Shells...

Picked up a lovely old S&W 500 Mag with 8-3/8 inch barrel. Older model. (I wish I could find its date of mfg based on serial number CYM5xxx. No luck, so far.)

I think the former owner passed on, because the gun, a bunch of fired 500 S&W brass ($0.60 each), a set of used carbide RCBS 500 dies ($30) and a bunch of other stuff suddenly appeared at my local gun shop.

So I bought the gun (fair price), the dies, the brass, and a 50-cal bronze cleaning brush designed for black powder guns. Still awaiting a shell plate for the press. Also ordered a Lee Factory Crimp die (I love those things -- elegant simplicity and adjustability.)

Some 325-gr and some 350-gr jacketed bullets, and some 440-gr cast gascheck bullets also on the way.

Already have a selection of Hodgdon and Winchester powders and some Large Rifle primers to load these babies up.

Deprimed the brass using my Frankfort Arsenal hand deprime tool, then wet-tumbled the brass with stainless steel media in 125-degree warm water, with a squirt of Dawn and a 9mm shell's worth of Lemi Shine, this morning. Came out as if brand new.

Brass is a mix of Hornady (probably from the factory ammo) and Starline, for reloading.

Any of you guys see an appreciable difference between Hornady and Starline brass for the 500 Mag?

I will not be reloading on my Dillon 550 press. Not worth the conversion cost. Won't be doing that much 500 reloading. So it's back to my faithful old original RCBS Rock Chucker single-stage press and careful weighing of the charges. And a firm crimp.

I don't plan on loading anywhere near max loads -- those don't look like fun at all -- and factory ammo is impossible to get and stupid expensive.

But it's simply fun to have this cannon, even unfired, if only to show friends.

Any reloading wisdom from you guys is appreciated.

What I've picked up so far:

1. Do not fire it with my hand near the cylinder/barrel gap.
    2. For first-time shooters, load only a single round into the cylinder.
    3. Wear serious hearing protection.
    4. ?

The picture is off the internet, but looks very much like my 500, with ports on the top front.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	S&W 500 Mag.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	23.7 KB 
ID:	284408

Thanks.

I have the impression that 1-2-3 are quite general indications for any newbie revolver shooter & about all the revolvers.
    I believe that .454, .460, .500 etc. deserve other considerations, shooting gloves first.
    I would refuse to avoid shooting them indoors, or in any case between two adjacent side walls, because shooter's head concussion increases exponentially, but for sure I'm wimpy, because I don't enjoy anything more than .44mag_
    Last edited by wilecoyote; 06-12-2021 at 04:40 PM. Reason: them
    Food is overrated. A nice rifle is way more important.
    Rob

Boolit Buddy

Somewhere between the Red and the Rio Grande
    I have shot a 500 before and I can honestly say it was NOT a pleasurable experience! I’m with you Wiley , .44 is plenty for me !
    Keep your powder dry and watch your six !!

Quote Originally Posted by Txcowboy52 View Post
    I have shot a 500 before and I can honestly say it was NOT a pleasurable experience! I’m with you Wiley , .44 is plenty for me !
    TX, you said it
    Food is overrated. A nice rifle is way more important.
    Rob

I had to have a 500 when they were introduced. Over the years I've found TrailBoss loads are very mild and shooting buddies ask me if I put any powder in these loads. They splinter bowling pins just fine. Unique loads seem about right. You know you just shot a magnum but it doesn't punish your hand. Bowling pins don't stand a chance. H110 loads get your attention. This is like shooting factory ammo. This load launches bowling pins back onto the berm. All these loads are with 440 cast out of wheel weights with a gas check.

Denny

You are going to have a lot of fun with that beauty…..or you won’t..

Boolit Buddy
    Well, No. 4 is obvious - enjoy it. I have 7.5” PC model, which is compensated, it will let you know you’ve fired a handcannon especially with 700 grainers over H110 . Won’t break your wrist or anything, my 16 y.o. son
    couldn’t get enough of it, cause I’ve only brought 20 rounds of those 700 grainers ( that’s 2 lbs of lead btw ). My “plinking” round is 350 gr. 20 lbs pot goes out empty fast when casting for this behemoth

Quote Originally Posted by wddodge View Post
    Over the years I've found TrailBoss loads are very mild and shooting buddies ask me if I put any powder in these loads. They splinter bowling pins just fine. Unique loads seem about right. You know you just shot a magnum but it doesn't punish your hand. Bowling pins don't stand a chance. H110 loads get your attention. This is like shooting factory ammo. This load launches bowling pins back onto the berm. All these loads are with 440 cast out of wheel weights with a gas check.

Denny
    Denny, Thanks. I load Trail Boss for SASS and have plenty. Trail Boss even works well in .50 BMG, I'm told. Interesting powder. Believe me, I don't want to shoot if it's painful. I don't even like shooting .45-70 factory loads in my brother-in-law's Henry. Three rounds and I'm done. That's not fun. (I build him some lighter loads that are less extreme.)

Guess I'll go to Alliant for recommended Unique loadings.

Looking at Hodgdon under the 440 Cast Gas Check, they list --

CFE BLK
    H110
    H4227
    Lil'Gun
    Longshot
    Titegroup
    Trail Boss

I've got all but the H4227. This should be interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by kayala View Post
    Well, No. 4 is obvious - enjoy it. [snip] My “plinking” round is 350 gr. 20 lbs pot goes out empty fast when casting for this behemoth
    If you don't mind, what mold do you use, and do you employ a gas check? Do you powder coat the bullet?

I notice Bear Creek sells a moly-coated 50-cal 340-grain pill they say works well in 50 AE, 50 Beowulf and "as a plinker" for 50 S&W Mag. No gas check. $45/250 rounds. 18 cents per round. https://www.bearcreeksupplybullets.com/50-340

They also sell a 425-grain bullet. $56/250 rounds. 23 cents per round. Those prices bring the cost of shooting this handcannon down significantly.

Quote Originally Posted by Txcowboy52 View Post
    My 629 6-inch was so lonely in the safe. I heard it ask for a big brother. How could I turn it down?

Quote Originally Posted by wilecoyote View Post
    I believe that .454, .460, .500 etc. deserve other considerations, shooting gloves first.
    I would refuse to avoid shooting them indoors, or in any case between two adjacent side walls
    Good considerations. I will be shooting outdoors at our local range.

Hadn't thought of gloves. More padding the better!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Liberty1776 View Post
    If you don't mind, what mold do you use, and do you employ a gas check? Do you powder coat the bullet?

I notice Bear Creek sells a moly-coated 50-cal 340-grain pill they say works well in 50 AE, 50 Beowulf and "as a plinker" for 50 S&W Mag. No gas check. $45/250 rounds. 18 cents per round. https://www.bearcreeksupplybullets.com/50-340

They also sell a 425-grain bullet. $56/250 rounds. 23 cents per round. Those prices bring the cost of shooting this handcannon down significantly.
    I’ve just started casting during this pandemic, because all commercial casters working on common calibers. I’ve had stock of 350 plated Berry’s for plinking and Matt’s 700 grainers lubed and checked. I’ve bought my moods from mp-moulds, 440 gr, plain base and 700 gr (solid) or about 640 HP with GC. I do PC mine, also ordered 350 gr from NOE.

Boolit Buddy
    I got in to shooting the shooting and handloading the 500 S&W when the round was first introduced (I haven’t shot mine in quite some time) and have two 500’s that dates from 2003/2004.

The 6.5” barreled one started life as an 8 3/8ths model with standard fluted cylinder and I sent it back to S&W a few years ago and had them put a late model shorter barrel and an unfluted cylinder
    on it.

The 4” I sent to Robar and had them make a “pinto” out of it by blackening the frame and barrel with their Roguard process and the cylinder, comp, screws and internals in NP3 plus.

As far as handloading goes, I remember that Hornady’s 500 S&W ammunition was “primed” using large pistol primers and everyone else (including Starline) used large rifle primers.

As all my brass for the 500 S&W was collected 17-18 years ago, I can’t speak to whether current production Hornady uses LR or LP primers.

If you got “vintage” Hornady brass in the deal, you may want to check primer pockets to determine whether they are large rifle or large pistol primers.

Denny, Thanks. I load Trail Boss for SASS and have plenty. Trail Boss even works well in .50 BMG, I'm told. Interesting powder. Believe me, I don't want to shoot if it's painful. I don't even like shooting .45-70 factory loads in my brother-in-law's Henry. Three rounds and I'm done. That's not fun. (I build him some lighter loads that are less extreme.)

Guess I'll go to Alliant for recommended Unique loadings.

Looking at Hodgdon under the 440 Cast Gas Check, they list --

CFE BLK
    H110
    H4227
    Lil'Gun
    Longshot
    Titegroup
    Trail Boss

I've got all but the H4227. This should be interesting.
    I've used the TB, H110 and the H4227. I think you'll find the 500 is really pleasant to shoot with the Unique loads. I keep 50 of each of my loadings ready to go. When somebody new wants to shoot it, I give them the TB loads first and let them work up. Most everybody like the Unique loads. There are a few that want to shoot more of the H110. One of these days I'll get a 700 gn mold to try.

Denny

Quote Originally Posted by ATCDoktor View Post
    As far as handloading goes, I remember that Hornady’s 500 S&W ammunition was “primed” using large pistol primers and everyone else (including Starline) used large rifle primers.

As all my brass for the 500 S&W was collected 17-18 years ago, I can’t speak to whether current production Hornady uses LR or LP primers.

If you got “vintage” Hornady brass in the deal, you may want to check primer pockets to determine whether they are large rifle or large pistol primers.

Now that is interesting. Starline uses Large Rifle, but original Hornady used Large Pistol.

I'll mic the Starline and Hornady that I have and compare.

This is why I love this site. Very smart and experienced people comment here.

Quote Originally Posted by wddodge View Post
    I think you'll find the 500 is really pleasant to shoot with the Unique loads.

Denny
    Denny,
    I looked at the Alliant site under Unique and they don't list 500 S&W Mag loads. Biggest they have is .454 Casull.

If you don't mind, what bullet/Unique load combo have you found to be so nice?

Thanks.

http://www.alliantpowder.com/reloade...spx?powderid=3

Boolit Buddy
    I think you are going to enjoy your new toy.

I have a 4" 500. I load RCBS 400 cast, no GS, with Unq. for mild loads and a med. loading with bought 440WFNGC with Tightgroup powder.

I think all my brass is Star-Line. I managed to get some Black Oxide when they had it; just for looks.

I don't wear gloves when I shoot mine.

I put a "hole blocker" on the front of mine.

I use the Lee Factory Crimp die on almost all handgun loads. I wish the 500 came in Carbide, oh well.

If you need a speed loader Diamond D Leather in Wasilla, AK, has them in alum.

Now that is interesting. Starline uses Large Rifle, but original Hornady used Large Pistol.

I'll mic the Starline and Hornady that I have and compare.

This is why I love this site. Very smart and experienced people comment here.
    The Starline brass primer pockets appear to average a few thousandths deeper than the Hornady brass pockets. But readings are inconsistent.

Banner Sponsor

I use Unique for my light loads and 4227 for the heavy stuff. It is a really large case and the extra bulk of the 4227 helps to fill it up.
    The 700s are fun to shoot, but unless you have the John Ross model with the faster twist rate, then don't expect the bullets to stabilize.
    The Lee 440 is a great bullet. I have a 4" SW and a 7.5" BFR.

Denny,
    I looked at the Alliant site under Unique and they don't list 500 S&W Mag loads. Biggest they have is .454 Casull.

If you don't mind, what bullet/Unique load combo have you found to be so nice?

Thanks.

http://www.alliantpowder.com/reloade...spx?powderid=3
    440 gr gas checked cast from wheel weights/water dropped. 13.0 gr Unique Winchester large rifle standard primers

Denny

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast