WidenersLee PrecisionLoad DataTitan Reloading
Snyders JerkyRepackboxInline FabricationReloading Everything
RotoMetals2 MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Numerich Arms H&A underhammer

Boolit Man
    Update, after a long spell of not working on the under hammer I finally got to the finish line,( or so I thought) the new hammer is short of going over the nipple. At first glance it looks like the hole for the nipple is too far forward, but measuring it compared to the old barrel, its the same within a few thou.. Old hammer fits just fine but I would like to use the new one, any suggestions would be welcome.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	new hammer.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	96.1 KB 
ID:	301410 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0619221505(1) old 1 hammer.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	28.7 KB 
ID:	301411

Boolit Master
    The same thing happened with the last one I built. What I did was open up the front of the skirt to clear the cone with a dremel using a dental burr. You don't have to remove alot just enough to clear the side of a capped cone.

Boolit Grand Master

Heat it and straighten it a little. Probably casting shrinkage. If you cut away the front of the hammer skirt you will vent more gas to your arm.

Boolit Master

one of the problems with the H&R design, the hammer nose is not lined up with the pivot point of the hammer. I have done several over the years where I angled the nipple to line up with the hammer. This only works when making a new barrel but it would be possible to make an over size plug to fill the nipple hole and drill and tap a new hole. I have been playing around with the H&A stile under hammer for over 40 years and have made my own frames to use the H&A hammer and trigger but now Pecatonica will not sell me hammers or trigger so that runs the time up for a build.

Boolit Man
    The strange thing about the new hammer is when it it down all the way without nippleClick image for larger version. 

Name:	7089 h&a hammer.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	46.7 KB 
ID:	301471 it is centered. Going to work on it this weekend and see what happens

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by OBCoal View Post
    The strange thing about the new hammer is when it it down all the way without nippleClick image for larger version. 

Name:	7089 h&a hammer.jpg 
Size:	46.7 KB 
ID:	301471 it is centered. Going to work on it this weekend and see what happens
    A short nipple may take care of the problem. The old H&Rs used a 1/4"-32 nipple, Track of the wolf has some.

Boolit Man
    Heated and bent hammer and ground a little out of the inside of hammer cup, works good now. Here are a few pics of the rifle, added a short post for the rear sight, lyman front sight and original rear sight. Made the ramrod pipe out of 1/2 brass hex stock, ramrod is a little long but I don't plan on using it. Also used a set screw to hold barrel to frame so as to hold it in place to drill taper hole.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0627221232.jpg 
Size:	37.4 KB 
ID:	301612 . Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0627221233.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	44.8 KB 
ID:	301613.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0628221015.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	20.8 KB 
ID:	301614. Now my other H&A has a buddy Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0628221118.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	24.9 KB 
ID:	301615

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123