Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Snyders JerkyRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Load Data Wideners
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Use adhesive for peep sight on lever rifle?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by earlmck View Post
    That is the correct sight for the Rossi; lining it up will not be a problem because you just attach it flat against the left side of the receiver and there is plenty of windage adjustment to get sighted in. You do want it reasonably close to level, and as far back as you can get it without blocking the little safety lever thingy (assuming you have the model of Rossi that has that and that you haven't removed it). If you have removed the little safety thingy you can mount your sight back a scosh farther if you want...
    I did a bit of research before I got the Williams sight. And dry fitted it. Hate to admit it but my old eyes, and the existing buckhorn rear sight do not work well anymore. Using an adhesive may allow me to see how it shoots and how well I can see with the Williams before drilling and tapping. I am not unacquainted with peep sights; as I was on my college’s varsity rifle team back in ‘69-‘71.
    Britons shall never be slaves.

Boolit Grand Master
    I have used a product called Goop to adhere temporary ribs to trap shotguns.
    Don Verna

Boolit Buddy

Sir, I have used the Black Max t affix a front sight to a rifle barrel. Works Great. Randy.

The Black Max will do it. I used a lot of it in industry

Boolit Grand Master

For metal to metal, use a good two part epoxy , slow setting and slow curing .
    I still like J-B Weld 8265 S Original Cold Weld steel reinforced epoxy , dark grey color and 24 hour full cure time . Follow cleaning & prep directions carefully .
    5 minute , quick setting epoxies are not the strongest ... use the slow cure for max strength .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Buddy
    I have used Brownell glass bed to mount a rear sight on a 22rf. That was 2 or 3 years ago. It has not moved.

Boolit Master
    I have often Crazy Glued Iron Sights including front and rear to the barrels of rifles.
    I do that so that I can check alignment of the sights before I drill and tap them.
    This allows me to make final minor adjustments to the sights so when all done , the sights are usually set to zero at 100 yards.
    Epoxy works too.
    It is just that you wait to let it cure.
    With the crazy glue , I can pull off a sight and relocate it and reinstall it when I am at the range with out taking up lots of time.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Hdskip View Post
    The Black Max will do it. I used a lot of it in industry
    It begs the question: once you have stuck it on there with Black Max, and then decided it was the perfect location, but you want to then drill and tap it in; how do you remove it? Heat or a solvent?
    Last edited by JoeJames; 06-16-2021 at 11:26 AM.
    Britons shall never be slaves.

Boolit Master
    Reviving this old thread for other thoughts.
    Founder of the Single Shot section.

A government big enough to give you everything you want is big enough to take everything you have.

8 in the 10 ring, then I get a PING. Love my Garand.

Boolit Master
    I recently had an epiphany about sights (particularly optical sights). I went to my first ever optometrist's appointment. He and I got to jabbering, he enjoys sporting clays and he and I had met up a time or two. I asked him if he could help with measurements for optics/ peep / tang / open sights. He said yes (of course) that's what he does for a living!!
    Long story short, given a distance (i.e. eyeball to tang sight) with an objective point (i.e. front sight or target or even both given the right circumstance), any good optometrist should be able to help one choose the appropriate sight. I asked him about a carbine project of mine, he spit out my ideal magnification and distance from my eye that should be ideal. After a bit of research, I turned a gift card into the appropriate optic and I have to say - man knows his stuff! His precision of distance was amazing.
    We're supposed to meet up next week so he can try out my shot casting rig, I'm looking forward to his opinion and thoughts on the various sights I have - and more specifically my ability to be able to effectively use those sights for 40 or so years to come!

My thoughts are that with the price of quality made sights, why not make sure my eyes will be able to use them before making that investment!
    (Including semi- permanently attaching them to try them out first!!)

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

+1 or however many for the use of JB Weld!
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Grand Master

oThe amount of surface area the sight has makes a big difference also a small blade with short narrow base not as well as a long ramp type base, fitted scope blocks that match the surface and have a lot of area will hold very well.

When its proved it self if possible I dont remove the sight or bases. but use a good fitting transfer punch to mark then spot drill and drill and tap thru the base or block. A lot of small shops use super glue for one offs. Fixture in a tube.

Boolit Master
    On a 1894CL Marlin which will see infrequent use & only off of a bench, red Loctite.
    Taped off the surrounding area, in case of squeeze out, and the Loctite along with the longer tang screw has held up, so far.
    Double sided tape had to much of a rocking motion, side to side.
    https://wbrpc.org/

genealogy, another area of interest

feedback - http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...9613-czech_too

Boolit Grand Master

Thee are several types if double faced tape available. What is sold in the local stores is more for carpet with a spongy core that does give. Then there are some "scotch" tape style that are firmed but not enough adhesive meant more for craft use. 3M makes one that is industrial use a very firm core and very strong adhesive. This is the one you want. Here like the glues surface prep and area make a big difference. At work we used this to machine thin fine parts both in the mill and surface grinder. It is tenacious stuff It would take awhile soaking in thinner to break down and release the part.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by country gent View Post
    Thee are several types if double faced tape available. What is sold in the local stores is more for carpet with a spongy core that does give. Then there are some "scotch" tape style that are firmed but not enough adhesive meant more for craft use. 3M makes one that is industrial use a very firm core and very strong adhesive. This is the one you want. Here like the glues surface prep and area make a big difference. At work we used this to machine thin fine parts both in the mill and surface grinder. It is tenacious stuff It would take awhile soaking in thinner to break down and release the part.
    Any idea on the 3M number?

A government big enough to give you everything you want is big enough to take everything you have.

Boolit Grand Master

I cant remember it when we needed it we got it from the crib when done it was returned. Wish I had some here now for out in the shop.

Quote Originally Posted by Landy88 View Post
    I'm interested. I've a nice old Mauser, that I'd hate to drill; but the guns utility would increase exponentially with a peep sight versus the pretty but very limited express style sights.

If you find a good way to do it on a lever, it'll likely be very close to a way to do it on another action type.
    Williams Gun Sight Co. once made a drop-in Mauser peep sight that interchanges with the top section of the military rear sight.

The Williams WM-96 PEEP : https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1006000848

If interested, I would suggest calling Williams customer service to see if they can a dig up an NOS unit for you.

Last edited by pietro; 01-12-2022 at 07:02 PM.
    Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Consider using the product used to glue rear view mirrors to windshields. It’s designed to stick to a hard smooth surface. Most glues and epoxies recommend roughing up the mating surfaces. You probably wouldn’t want to do that, if you may be removing it.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GregLaROCHE View Post
    Consider using the product used to glue rear view mirrors to windshields. It’s designed to stick to a hard smooth surface. Most glues and epoxies recommend roughing up the mating surfaces. You probably wouldn’t want to do that, if you may be removing it.
    I think this might be the answer.

Boolit Man
    maybe this tape ?

3-M VHB
    Last edited by gordie; 01-22-2022 at 09:35 AM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast