Titan ReloadingInline FabricationRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionLoad DataReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Wideners
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Use adhesive for peep sight on lever rifle?

Boolit Master

Use adhesive for peep sight on lever rifle?

Has anyone used adhesive to attach a peep sight to a lever gun?

I know D&T is the proper way to do this, but I want to see if I like the setup before spending the money.
    Founder of the Single Shot section.

A government big enough to give you everything you want is big enough to take everything you have.

8 in the 10 ring, then I get a PING. Love my Garand.

Boolit Master
    I used a piece of double stick tape (wall mount variety) to hold a tang sight on a Krag sporter to see if I liked it. Worked alright, but the tape had "squish" in it so not ideal. I ended up not liking it, so put a Williams on it.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    not a lever gun but I've got an antique slide action that looks like someone used some sort of glue, looks like it might be that old fashioned brown rubbery contact cement that used too come in a brown bottle with a brush. well anyway the front sight looks to be glued on place with the stuff and its held that sight solid in place for at least the 20 plus years ive been using the gun.

I'm interested. I've a nice old Mauser, that I'd hate to drill; but the guns utility would increase exponentially with a peep sight versus the pretty but very limited express style sights.

If you find a good way to do it on a lever, it'll likely be very close to a way to do it on another action type.
    The first purpose of the Second Amendment is too often overlooked, fostering a liberty of mind and action necessary in the people of a free republic.

“Ironically, the only gun control in 19th century England was the policy forbidding police to have arms while on duty.”
    ~ Don B. Kates, Jr.

Boolit Master
    I put a Lyman receiver sight on my little Henry 22 Lever. I was going to d&t but that would just be going into a thin aluminum shell as you Henry owners know, so I used JB Weld. Been working like a champ for two years now.

Boolit Master
    I was thinking of trying this:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	11.2 KB 
ID:	284394

A government big enough to give you everything you want is big enough to take everything you have.

Boolit Master
    I really enjoy shooting my 1873 Trapdoor but just can’t see those little sights anymore. I do not want to drill or molest it but being able to attach a red dot to it with an adhesive that could be removed with no damage would be something I would do.

Boolit Buddy
    JB Weld is the way to go. Degrease everything first.

Boolit Buddy
    I used JB Weld to attach a Williams receiver sight and front sight base to my Krag Sporter because I didn't want to drill and tap and used that setup for more than ten years. I did have the receiver sight come off once while hunting but it was a real cold day and it fell over after I leaned it against a tree. I drilled some holes in the back of the sight to allow more grab for the J.B Weld and didn't have any more issues after but didn't let it drop again either. I have since put a Rice sight on it and had the new Criterion barrel drilled and tapped for the front base.
    Last edited by NEKVT; 06-12-2021 at 01:39 PM.

Boolit Master
    How do you guys make sure it is aligned properly before adhesive?

Boolit Buddy
    You don't say what sight you are thinking of mounting on what rifle but for the Williams receiver sight on the Krag it is a specific model for this rifle so only goes in one location with little play. I just aligned it so the eyepiece bar was in the proper position. The front sight base was aligned by sight.

Boolit Master
    Williams 94/36 on a .357 Rossi 92.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by cabezaverde View Post
    Williams 94/36 on a .357 Rossi 92.
    Ok, you now have my attention. I have a Rossi R92 in 44 Magnum and a Williams 94/36. Had both for about a year, but not sure I trust my gunsmith not to pecker it up. If it works, PM me and let me know. Thinking that the easy way to verify alignment would be to line up peep with front sight and existing rear sight.
    Britons shall never be slaves.

Boolit Buddy
    I would think that sight on the M92 you would want it to be in a similar location as on the M94 it was designed for. Google that sight on a Win M94 and you will see examples of the placement. I have the Williams FP on my Marlin 1894 and it lines up about 1/16" from the top receiver edge but pictures of the FP on the M94 show it a bit higher. You just want it with the eyepiece bar bottomed out to sufficiently clear the bolt and with the windage adjustment set in the middle for the eyepiece to be somewhat aligned with the existing sights. Many receiver sights require a taller front sight blade to get normal adjustment range.

Boolit Master

Ive read of people using Loctite Black Max for this purpose. Maybe try searching the forum for it.

Attachment 284435This is a antique H. Piper marksman rimfire rifle that I added the receiver sight to with a small plate with two tapped mounting holes with J B Weld epoxy. So far no problems, if I choose to remove it there wount be any holes in the receiver.

Jedman

Boolit Master
    I have used superglue. Doesn't last forever, but it is a good way to test out the sight before getting more serious.
    Hick: Iron sights!

Boolit Grand Master

I used locktite super glue to mount and test an early tasco pro point ( had the battery housing on the side) on a ruger mark 2 shoat it some and zeroed it up. I then transferred the holes with a transfer punch and drilled and tapped. As far as I know the glue is still holding the weaver blocks.

Mount the fire arm up solid and level it up then level the bases and mark glue and set level. With super glue you have a very short working time. Epoxy gives a longer working time. small spring clamps work well and dont push all the glue out of the joint. If this is a side mount then level needs to be front to back and side to side. If its out front to back then the appeture wont be round or you wont see thru it

Boolit Master
    Whatever you use, make sure there is a good solvent available in case you decide to take it off later. I turned down an old H&R 12 gage because someone had mounted some type of rear sight with some sort of glue and then removed it with some sort of grinder.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeJames View Post
    Ok, you now have my attention. I have a Rossi R92 in 44 Magnum and a Williams 94/36. Had both for about a year, but not sure I trust my gunsmith not to pecker it up. If it works, PM me and let me know. Thinking that the easy way to verify alignment would be to line up peep with front sight and existing rear sight.
    That is the correct sight for the Rossi; lining it up will not be a problem because you just attach it flat against the left side of the receiver and there is plenty of windage adjustment to get sighted in. You do want it reasonably close to level, and as far back as you can get it without blocking the little safety lever thingy (assuming you have the model of Rossi that has that and that you haven't removed it). If you have removed the little safety thingy you can mount your sight back a scosh farther if you want...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast