Reloading EverythingInline FabricationLee PrecisionWideners
RepackboxTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Just Curious?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Bmi48219 View Post
    If you listen to interviews of anti-Assault Rifle proponents you’ll frequently hear mags referred to as ‘clips’. You’d think someone hell-bent on banning assault rifles (or as the say ‘ARs’), would at least want to sound halfway intelligent.
    It's impossible for anyone who wants to ban guns to sound intelligent.
    NRA Benefactor.

Boolit Master

If they at least called it a cartridge head, I might not hate it so much, but they don't. Just ignorance of proper terms.

Boolit Master
    If you go to a region that uses terminology different than yours, whose the ignorant one?

Boolit Master

Anecdotally, a few years back two young gentlemen showed up at the range. They were the kind of shooters you didn’t anticipate being problems. Ten minutes in to their session I noticed some baffled looks and quickly learned the cause. Shooter #2 had recently went into a sporting goods store to purchase 9 mm bullets. He had just opened a sealed black plastic box of 500 Berry’s 9 mm plated 124 HPs and was upset because the store clerk hadn’t told him he was buying real bullets..
    Earlier that day a foreign customer had given me a couple boxes of Winchester 9 mm ammo he couldn’t take back to Europe. I traded the ammo to the kid for the Bullets. We were both happy (I’m not a fan of Winchester range ammo). I’m pretty sure the young man now has a firm grasp on difference between ammo and bullets.
    Sometimes you learn the hard way, but then you don’t forget.

Boolit Master

I've never heard of "heads" or knew anyone that used that term, and I've lived all over the US. Including Hawaii.

I was able to score a couple of boxes of Hornady .355 115 grain bullets a few months ago from a guy at work who sent his wife to buy ammo from the LGS and came back with two boxes of useless bullets.
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

I've heard at least one person speak of "heads". It didn't bother me. I knew he was knowledgeable and was just using slang. No big deal.

But it does bother me to hear someone call a cartridge a bullet.

Boolit Master
    In MY opinion, using cutesy words to describe something i.e. pills, heads etc. is indicative of one of two things. Either that individual is simple/ignorant or they are crying out for recognition as in "look at me, me, me----". In either instance that is so sad.
    R.D.M.

Growing up in rural S.E. Oklahoma, the terms shells and bullets typically mean a loaded cartridge. I have heard the term 'head' used when referring to the actual bullet itself, as in...the bullet head jammed going in the barrel and now it's bent. I think it's a regional thing.

Murphy
    If I should depart this life while defending those who cannot defend themselves, then I have died the most honorable of deaths. Marc R. Murphy '2006'.

Boolit Master
    Here’s one that I have heard recently & it makes me cringe (freedom pills )

Boolit Master
    I've heard tracer bullets called heads.
    "If everyone is thinking the same thing it means someone is not thinking"

"A rat became the unit of currency"

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic_Charlie View Post
    I've heard tracer bullets called heads.
    This would be redheads.

Boolit Master

Haven’t been there in a long time but used to see “pills” and “heads” on the AR15 site. ‘Nuff said.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Boolit Grand Master
    About as "ignorant" as calling cast bullets.... boolits.

I know...it is the site name...but you guys who do it look none too bright to most non-members....and even to this member.

If Lyman ever puts out a Cast Boolit manual I will concede it is appropriate, but I will never use the word boolit in a post except to denigrate its usage.

BTW, recently wanted to purchase some ingot molds from a member here but all he had left were marked with that word so I passed. If the Redneck Gold ones are ever offered I will buy a few. Would never wear a T-shirt with that word on it. The logo of the shapely, scantily clad lady riding a cast bullet is a good one. That I would wear!!!
    Don Verna

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12