RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLoad DataInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxReloading EverythingLee Precision
Wideners

Thread: WTB 32/20 sizer and 32/20 mold

Boolit Buddy

WTB 32/20 sizer and 32/20 mold

I have a problem child in a S&W 32-20 revolver. This one has small chambers. My full length RCBS sizer doesn't quite size the cases enough to fit in this revolver. They lack about .010 from going in to fully seat in the chambers. My colt revolver chamberers them just fine. The length of the cylinders are different too! I have a Winchester mold that casts a great 115 bullet, but the crimp area makes the loaded round stick out about .010 from the front of the cylinder. So I need to find out if I can find a different full length sizer to solve the size problem, and I need to find a mold that has a shorter nose after crimping! The Winchester mold has a nose that is .329 from the crimp ring to the end of the bullet. I need to find a mold that has a nose of around .325 or shorter from the crimping ring. The Colt does just fine with the old mold, and the sizeing and crimping work just great on it. It's the Smith that is giving me fits. Anyone have a sizer die they would let go, or a set would be all right also, a different brand other than R.C.B.S. Also a mold that cast a bullet with a nose shorter than .325 and casts a bullet around .312/.314. Thanks in advance, and best regards John.

Boolit Master

Turn .010” off the base of the die or take .010” off of the shell holder!

Moderator Emeritus
    You can also trim the brass for the Smith so that you can seat to a slightly shorter OAL and still use the crimp groove.

May have a mold that will work, I'll check later.

If you don't hear from me in a day or two, poke me.

I tend to forget what I'm supposed to be doing by the time I get to the shed and get waylaid by the 7853 other projects I have going on.

Retirement is supposed to be easy, it's juggling more stuff then when I was working.

Boolit Buddy
    I finely got off my duff and ordered one from Tom, found one that will work with the length I needed, so all I have to do now is wait! Thanks everyone!

.32-20 has essentially two different trim lengths:1.280 and 1.315...why???? still no good answer but new starline brass is close to 1.280. My S&W 1905 won't chamber anything longer than 1.305, even empty. Check your OAL and if it's 1.280 and not chambering I would have the chambers reamed and throats uniformed rather than customizing dies etc. I have three .32-20s and all will take the same SAAMI spec ammo that I load, I only make one different load for the S&W 1905 and it's a wadcutter. What S&W do you have?

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    ^^^^what quail4jake said^^^^

TRIM those cases@!

If a 1.28 case still stands proud, either the head-to-shoulder datum length is short [probable cause] or the cylinder throats are tight in diameter [Possible, but MUCH less likely].
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks everyone for the information. I trimmed about 35 cases to 1.28 and the lengths were all over the map! Some as much as .040 long. Then coated a case with a felt pen and found that the center of the shoulder was hitting on the inside of the cylinder, a bright ring was in the center of the taper! Removed a few thousands off of the die and resized them, and bingo they seat like they should! Now will have to process all of them as I shoot them up! Thanks everyone, and best regards.