Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingWidenersLee Precision
Load DataRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Inline Fabrication RotoMetals2
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Snakes; Be careful out there

Boolit Master
    What with all the rain here in Louisiana and the bayou tech which is at the end of my property have seen more snakes near my burn pile. So now cut the grass every other week. Except for where the water came over the banks. Nothing but mud and that will take weeks to dry out. So will be taking my little 410 shotgun and 3" shells. Will be taking the burn pile apart with my tractor and burning it in stages. Good thing it came with a front end loader. And the racoons show up to eat the cat food and some of the older cats for the time being have disappeared. Took one kitten that died to the trash on account mother has neglected them. Gave them food and water but survival is doubtful. Frank

Snakes are the reason God gave us shotguns.....

Just sayin'.......

I've read that poor folks down South would keep their yards in bare sand, and rake it it every day so the track of a snake would show up.

Feral mother cats are ruthless about not just abandoning their young but actively driving them away. Seen it happen several times over the years.
    Cognitive Dissident

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by richhodg66 View Post
    Passed a big bull snake killed in the highway this morning, sure wish he was alive and healthy and on my place. I see lots of snakes in the yard, vast majority are this little species, I think the biggest I've seen was a foot long, most aren't much more than a big night crawler.

Just don't understand how so many grown men can be such cowards of something that's only flesh and blood and relatively unlikely to be a danger to you. Hard to believe so many guys on a site like this are afraid of their own shadows and that timid.
    your welcome to come see how afraid of my shadow I am. Hard to believe someone thinks (or at least claims) there a brave bad but because they dont have the sense to fear something that can harm them. I suppose you went into combat without a lick of fear too. I know i sure didnt. Fear keeps you alive. Its why God put it into our dna. Tell you what ill stand 5 feet from a rattler when you free climb a 138k volt 150 foot transmission pole that has even enough static charge to make your hair actually stand up, belt in and hang out with one foot dug into the pole and reach out almost horizontal and change insulators. Or plug yourself between two phases of a 14000 volt 3 phase distribution line and work out with only a pair of rubber gloves protecting you knowing one mistaken movement can kill you. Its all in what you KNOW. Im sure if i was raised in an area that had lots of snakes id be used to them too. Id like to see some who claim to be so brave have watched my ma chasing black bear off the porch with a broom. Let alone be within a 100 yards of one without a 300 mag. "afraid of there own shadows" I think ive been measured MANY times in my life. But if it makes you feel tough have it.

Boolit Buddy
    I got a minnow trap and some mouse scent goo on the way. After I killed one last week my neighbor, couple hundred yards through a patch of woods, killed one today.

Boolit Master

Found this little guy in the yard today. Not sure what breed. Im thinking juvenile racer.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210627_163011.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	22.4 KB 
ID:	285283
    One round at a time.
    Member of the NRA,GOA and FAOC. Gun clubs Zerby rod and gun club. Keystone Fish and Game Association.

Boolit Master
    That's not the racers I remember.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by BigAlofPa. View Post
    Found this little guy in the yard today. Not sure what breed. Im thinking juvenile racer.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210627_163011.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	22.4 KB 
ID:	285283
    Eastern milk snake, maybe? If you have water nearby it could be a local species of Nerodia (water snakes). Milk snakes are often copperhead mimics and water snakes are often cottonmouth mimics.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Ahh yes could be a milk snake. There is no water close by. My wife has snakes for pets. And she wants to add it to her collection. Just want to be safe before she makes a bad mistake.
    One round at a time.
    Member of the NRA,GOA and FAOC. Gun clubs Zerby rod and gun club. Keystone Fish and Game Association.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by BigAlofPa. View Post
    Ahh yes could be a milk snake. There is no water close by. My wife has snakes for pets. And she wants to add it to her collection. Just want to be safe before she makes a bad mistake.
    Definitely not venomous. If you can acclimate it to handling it'll probably make a pretty good pet.

Ryan

Boolit Master

Snakes ain't pets. Dang sure not in this house.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Finster101 View Post
    Snakes ain't pets. Dang sure not in this house.
    I used to breed Australian pythons. Had as many as 50 of them at one time.

Northern Virginia, where the freeway does roam.
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanmattes View Post
    I used to breed Australian pythons. Had as many as 50 of them at one time.

Great pictures Ryanmattes, beautiful animals. When I was a teenager, had a Colombian red tail boa, very friendly coiled around my arm.

My admiration does not carry over to any venomous creatures.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanmattes View Post
    Eastern milk snake, maybe? If you have water nearby it could be a local species of Nerodia (water snakes). Milk snakes are often copperhead mimics and water snakes are often cottonmouth mimics.

Which is the reason most non-venomous snake get killed around my place. If they look like a moccasin or copperhead, they die period. if I can clearly tell they're nether I leave them be. With a soon to be 3year old running around and playing in the yard it's better to accidently kill a harmless mimic than to let a potentially dangerous one live.
    Rattlers are not a concern for me, I've seen one in this area in the 18years I've lived here.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Txcowboy52 View Post
    Yes sir, minnow trap with a fresh chicken egg inside as bait, can’t be a store bought egg. We trapped 18 copperheads our first summer and 12 the next summer, I didn’t believe it at first but I promise you it has worked for me!
    So I got a minnow trap. As I was setting it out with a fresh egg in it I realized, I have no idea what I'm going to do to deal with this snake without risking getting bit. I don't think I can get that trap open safely. So I'm left with destroying the trap to destroy the snake or throwing it on an open fire until the threat is neutralized? Any advice?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by CoolHandMoss View Post
    So I got a minnow trap. As I was setting it out with a fresh egg in it I realized, I have no idea what I'm going to do to deal with this snake without risking getting bit. I don't think I can get that trap open safely. So I'm left with destroying the trap to destroy the snake or throwing it on an open fire until the threat is neutralized? Any advice?
    Or if your hellbent on killing it drop it in a bucket of water for 30 minutes or so.

Boolit Grand Master

It really dies look like the snakes need to be careful. A lot seem to want to do them harm

Boolit Master
    I expect that you could drown it if you’re not comfortable opening the trap. Wonder if you could put it in a large trash bag and fill it with car exhaust.

Obviously you’ll want to avoid killing a hognose, milk, rat or other nonvenomous snake.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Or make 2 mini spears, pin it with one, behead it with the other

Boolit Master

I think my wife has 14 snakes now. Most of them are different morphs of ball pythons. She has 4 sand boas and now this new one. He's a calm little snake. Handles well.
    One round at a time.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast