Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2WidenersRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationReloading EverythingLee Precision
Load Data
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Snakes; Be careful out there

Boolit Buddy

3 moccasins so far this year, 1911 with shotshells keeps them under control.

Boolit Master
    Ryan, I believe you are correct. I kinda jumped quickly on the ID of that snake. Since we don't have the cottonmouth's here,, I don't get to see many juvies,, and had forgotten about the differences in pattern. Most of my cottonmouth handling was when I'd visit Florida, and Texas.
    My mistake.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by contender1 View Post
    Ryan, I believe you are correct. I kinda jumped quickly on the ID of that snake. Since we don't have the cottonmouth's here,, I don't get to see many juvies,, and had forgotten about the differences in pattern. Most of my cottonmouth handling was when I'd visit Florida, and Texas.
    My mistake.
    I've only seen two cottonmouths this close to the house, and they were both young so I thought they were copperheads. It was only after they were dead and I got a closer look that I realized they were cottonmouths.

Normally what I see around here are these guys. I caught these two having date night in my driveway a while back.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Years ago while coming in from my blind I found a small rattler, about 12" long. Shot it twice with my 20 ga. May have missed on first shot, wasn't paying attention. Sons ask why did you shoot it twice dad? Daughter told them "he wanted to make sure it was dead". She was right, bright girl. Last thing I needed to do was run into it or an older sibling an hour before sunrise in a blind.

Boolit Master
    Neighbor shot 2 by the pool this afternoon with his fortay. They come from the wet area towards my house, his pool gets in the way. I tend to have more black snakes, and very rarely a green tree snake.

Boolit Master
    We have no dangerous snakes in my AO. When I travel to areas where they exist it is kind of fun to see them. Would not be happy about sharing my garage or yard with them though.

Boolit Buddy
    Opened the roller door to get to my tractor yesterday morning and found a 3 foot Western diamondback. Rock bar took care of him. First time one got inside.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by yovinny View Post
    Around here,, if it's got fangs, it dies..Everything else can peacefully go it's own way..
    Same here for the most part. Although if it startles me and looks like a moccasin it dies!
    Accidently killed a few olive colored water snakes because at first glance they looked like a moccasin, and they were near where my daughter plays. Chicken snakes have startled me but I let them go since I could immediately ID them and they were pretty chill, and help keep the rodent population under control. Had a bad problem with pack rats chewing wires causing damage (a vehicle electrical system beyond repair for one)
    Around here the moccasins are very aggressive and will come after you most of the time vs. retreat.

Was rather proud of myself several years ago though. Was on the phone with my neighbor while walking to my hog trap, had a moccasin come out of a mudhole towards me. Pulled the 1911 and shot and hit 6 times before I realized it. Neighbor asked what it was I told him Moccasin. He said "how many times did you hit it?" I said "how many times did I shoot?" He said "6" I said "musta hit each time cause he's in 7 pieces!"

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanmattes View Post
    Bullsnakes and gopher snakes both mimic rattlers, and can have a diamond pattern like that, although I'm more familiar with the ones in Texas, which look a little different than the one in your picture.

Both will rattle their tails against leaves, as will gopher snakes, but they have a different shaped head.

All that said, a very young rattler will only have one or two buds on his tail, and may not be able to rattle like an older rattler. That pattern is iffy enough that I'm not comfortable saying whether it is or isn't a rattler just from the pics.

One telltale is that all rattlers of all species have a brown stripe that passes over their eyes, like this:

If you see that, and that pattern, and it's trying to rattle but just not making a lot of noise, you might have a juvenile rattler on your hands.
    Judging by the Pupil/eye shape I'm not sure that's an actual rattler. The pupil is round, most venomous snakes in the US have cateye pupils

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Bmi48219 View Post
    So what is this? I know the pics aren’t the best but I couldn’t convince it to pose. The tail sort of looked like some of the photos posted by others but it was vibrating like it wanted to rattle. It did have a triangular head.
    Attachment 284445
    Attachment 284447
    Attachment 284448
    Looks like a young timber rattler to me. the head shape and tail color is what makes me think that vs some imitator

Boolit Master
    Close to da Creaux,Hang'n out in Swamp's and Bayou's
    Quote Originally Posted by lksmith View Post
    Same here for the most part. Although if it startles me and looks like a moccasin it dies!
    Accidently killed a few olive colored water snakes because at first glance they looked like a moccasin, and they were near where my daughter plays. Chicken snakes have startled me but I let them go since I could immediately ID them and they were pretty chill, and help keep the rodent population under control. Had a bad problem with pack rats chewing wires causing damage (a vehicle electrical system beyond repair for one)
    Around here the moccasins are very aggressive and will come after you most of the time vs. retreat.

Was rather proud of myself several years ago though. Was on the phone with my neighbor while walking to my hog trap, had a moccasin come out of a mudhole towards me. Pulled the 1911 and shot and hit 6 times before I realized it. Neighbor asked what it was I told him Moccasin. He said "how many times did you hit it?" I said "how many times did I shoot?" He said "6" I said "musta hit each time cause he's in 7 pieces!"
    It's funny how a lot of people think a moccasin won't charge you, Plenty scoff at the ideal, I'm in the same band-camp as you.
    They will charge with that white mouth open and fangs bared.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by lksmith View Post
    Looks like a young timber rattler to me. the head shape and tail color is what makes me think that vs some imitator
    Timbers have stripes, not diamonds. If it's a rattler, it's a juvenile eastern diamondback.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Gator 45/70 View Post
    It's funny how a lot of people think a moccasin won't charge you, Plenty scoff at the ideal, I'm in the same band-camp as you.
    Yeah, they're scary aggressive.

They'll also try to eat fish still on your line. I've had them swallow a fish that was on a stringer in the water. Had to toss the whole stringer. Had 'em drop out of trees into the boat.

Nasty little suckers.

Boolit Master

They'll also try to eat fish still on your line. I've had them swallow a fish that was on a stringer in the water. Had to toss the whole stringer. Had 'em drop out of trees into the boat.

Nasty little suckers.

When they drop in the boat, Do you abandon ship or blow holes in the boat ?

Boolit Master
    I whacked it with a cane pole till I broke its back and flipped it back in the water.

I like snakes, and regularly pick up the snakes I find in the pasture, but with cottonmouths, I'm not playing around.

In my opinion, you can be dangerous, or you can be an *******, but you can't be both. Cottonmouths are both, so I have a very low tolerance for them in my space. People who are both I can avoid, but cottonmouths won't take a hint.

Boolit Master
    I whacked it with a cane pole till I broke its back and flipped it back in the water.

I like snakes, and regularly pick up the snakes I find in the pasture, but with cottonmouths, I'm not playing around.

In my opinion, you can be dangerous, or you can be an *******, but you can't be both. Cottonmouths are both, so I have a very low tolerance for them in my space. People who are both I can avoid, but cottonmouths won't take a hint.

Lol, I try to give every one I see a good flogging like they deserve !

Boolit Buddy
    Snakeshot from a handgun usually doesn't hurt an aluminum boat

I do them the same way as gators that get too close to the boat or my yo-yo's, whack it with a boat paddle!
    and yes, I have pulled up a boat next to a gator and whacked it with a boat paddle. Darn gator kept going for my yo-yo's whenever they went off and getting my fish. A few whacks with the paddle and he started going the other way when the yo-yo's went off

Boolit Buddy

Nasty little suckers.

suppressed 22 pistol comes in handy when fishing. Lost my fish, but the snake will never get over it. I usually keep it or my 410 pistol in the boat with me. If I see em on a log or tree I shoot them. the 22 is quiet enough that the wardens don't hear and come investigate

Boolit Grand Master

Lived in AZ for several years and cruised timber in AZ and Utah. Never saw a snake but I'm sure a few saw me. I won't kill one unless it's a danger much like turtles. I hate to run over a turtle even a snapper
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Master

I actually had one strike at my zero turn once while mowing. I say once because that one won't do it again. They are called zero turns for a reason!

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast