MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionInline FabricationTitan Reloading
Snyders JerkyWidenersRepackboxRotoMetals2
Reloading Everything Load Data

Thread: My Mrs. Scored some lead for me!

Boolit Buddy

My Mrs. Scored some lead for me!

Morning folks,
    The wife is on Facebook, which I am not, and asked me what I am paying for lead. I told her it of course depends on what it is and the quality. Long story short, fella has 200+lbs. listed for 200$, sure I'm game.

I picked it up yesterday and it is a nice little score. Just about 240lbs of usable lead. Mostly pure in the form of 2 very large pigs that are over 100lbs. Most of it is easily identifiable, some 50/50 that is still in bar form, a few other bars of solder that are unmarked. There are a few small mystery ingots that contain some kind of alloy as they have a very high ring to them.

Also included are quite a few sticks, maybe 15lbs, of old body lead. Like they used to use on vehicles. What is they consistently of these? I would assume it has some tin to make it flow, but I'm not sure.

Now to start chopping and fire up the big fryer. Gonna have to make myself some angle molds.

Ken

Banned

The question comes up; "where do you get your lead?" a lot. I've found you just always have to be on the lookout, it often turns up cheap or free. I could get all the range scrap I want free with a minimum of effort from the range I sometimes shoot at.

I'm pretty sure I have enough to last til the dirt nap now, especially since 95% of my shooting now is into a berm on land I own and I'll recover it someday if I ever run low, but if you want to cast, you need to be a scrounger or expect to pay a lot.

Boolit Master

My wife provided me my first large supply of lead back in 1989. I had accumulated a little at a time back in those days - just ahead of what I was shooting it seemed; 2/3 of a 5 gallon bucket was the most I had on hand back then. When I got home one day, she had stopped by a tire shop on her way home and had talked the staff out of (12) 5 gallon of buckets of wheel weights - Free - Gratis - No Charge!. Guess she was a keeper; I still have her.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Boolit Buddy
    I have been dealing with a small tire shop as well. Not much volume through them, but their weights are 50% or better lead. I just got finished rending about 50lb or so of coww. All it will cost me is the occasional box of bud light for the shop owner.

Boolit Master
    Body work solder typically 40-60 tin lead or 30-70. Guy I worked for years back liked the 30-70 because it was cheaper.

Boolit Grand Master

Nice Score! You just have to always be on the lookout!

Boolit Buddy
    Looking back in the archives here it seems most of the body lead is most likely 70/30. The star filler should be 60/40.
    I've got piles of tin now, mwhaaa (as I roll in my pile like scrooge mcduck).