WidenersInline FabricationRepackboxLoad Data
RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
Lee Precision MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Selecting a diameter for my fake Colt SAA

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by GhostHawk View Post
    A cast boolit 1-4 thousands over will squish under pressure and make a nice tight fit with a good grasp of the rifling.

Undersized or same sized bullets often keyhole, have terrible accuracy.

A larger boolit has more options than a smaller one.

You could if needed size it down one or 2 thousandths.
    But as long as its fairly soft, ie NOT hardcast, it should do fine. And it should do it with a minimum of fuss.

I used to use the Lee .452 230 gr, but all was not well. Some rounds did not like to go into battery.

Then I got the Lee 6 cav in .452 truncated cone. And all my 1911 problems went away. Couple of light coats of BLL and it was a steady shooting machine. Fed better, no going into battery issues, shot like gangbusters. Shape is important. Too much bullet too far forward of the neck will give you feeding problems.

Take notes, copius notes. Typed, written, on computer, in a 3 ring binder, whatever works for you.

I'll keep that in mind in case I try to use these Saeco's in my 1911 as well. Its a RNFP rather than a TC so we'll see.

As for the notes, I've had a vintage LC Smith Corona perched next to my loading bench for years. Gotta write/type notes in style

One of the handiest set of tools that I own for revolvers is the .251 to .500 pin gauges. With these, I measure the throats and size my bullets to that and not the bore measurement. My bullets are cast of lead from 30to1 up to a BHN of about 12 depending on the intended use. Works well for me. Gp

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12