Reloading EverythingWidenersTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
RepackboxInline FabricationRotoMetals2Load Data
Lee Precision

Thread: New federal ammo 38 sp punch issue

New federal ammo 38 sp punch issue

Just picked up a box today. When I got home I inspected them as this is the first I've seen this particular bullet. Immediately I found one the looked like the nose was crushed with pliers. All the others were great. Just curious if anyone has had issues with new ammo being disfigured? Been shooting Federal for over 35 years and this is a first. Already called with VM and their contact us page.
    Attachment 284372

It got tweaked in the automatic loading machine and the QC people missed it. I'm surprised there aren't more issues with factory ammunition than there are, considering the millions of rounds they produce per year.
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

Boolit Grand Master

I can only imagine it being one of those one in a million things. I doubt a punch did that, without buckling the case. It very well could have been dropped on the floor and put back in the loading bin. Stuff happens. With the speed the rounds come off their loading machines, I really doubt they have anyone visually looking for such defects. It passed the check weight, assuming they use one. Unless you picked that round up in your hand as you did, how else would you ever catch a defect like that?

Boolit Buddy
    I have bullets seated upside down and bullets with half of the nose not there. All factory

Boolit Master

I am with Fred, it is amazing that with the millions of rounds of ammo produced each year, they have so few mistakes like this one. I think the ammo manufacturers do a great job.

Boolit Master

I have to agree, for Federal that’s a one in a million goof up. I was given several boxes of Federal 38 sp. & 357 loads by a rep. The boxes had stickers added noting them to be ‘Seconds’. Other than a few scratched bullets they looked fine to me. OTOH, the QC on Remington’s standard range ammo is less than thorough. I’ve saw several dozen rounds with sideways or upside down primers early last year. Hopefully that’s over. Users of MagTech ammo should take a close look at COL. Our CRSO found five obviously short .380 rounds in a single box. Must have been six to start because the customer’s M&P had already self-destructed. Happened another time and both instances were caught on the range videos. Luckily neither incident resulted in physical injury.

Boolit Master
    Here is the key, if one will just stay grounded. "Been shooting Federal for over 35 years and this is a first. "
    With the million of rounds the ammo manufacturers load and sell and with nothing being "perfect", is a few mistakes really upsetting. If the operate in the 98 percent perfect category with 2 percent imperfect how many rounds will be imperfect out of the million. 20,000 right? Half of 1 percent would be 5000.
    Think about it for a moment.

Boolit Buddy
    Agreeing with everyone above,
    but also, right now they are all running 24 / 7 / 365
    in the midst of the biggest ammo shortage in history.

People are tired and the machines are running full time.

QC is bound to suffer.

To be clear, I am not in any way "Saying that increased production excuses lower quality"

Someone else may attribute that to me, but the statements of others made in error are beyond my control.

What I am pointing out is that any thing or system run to and beyond its limits will break down.

This is a possible reason for what happened to this round of ammo, but not an excuse for it.

Let us not confuse reasons with excuses.
    Last edited by Cord; 06-15-2021 at 10:01 AM. Reason: To be clear...

Unusual, that's for sure. They may send you a new box.

DG

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Cord View Post
    People are tired and the machines are running full time.QC is bound to suffer..
    QC that misses the occasional cosmetic imperfection can occur under the current circumstances. Mistakes that cause injury are always unacceptable.
    In the big picture ammo is relatively cheap compared to things like automobiles and appliances. But that should’ve lower the consumer’s expectation of quality. Every round (and automobile) that comes off the production line generates profit at multiple levels. Saying that increased production excuses lower quality states both the problem and the solution.

Quote Originally Posted by 44MAG#1 View Post
    Here is the key, if one will just stay grounded. "Been shooting Federal for over 35 years and this is a first. "
    With the million of rounds the ammo manufacturers load and sell and with nothing being "perfect", is a few mistakes really upsetting. If the operate in the 98 percent perfect category with 2 percent imperfect how many rounds will be imperfect out of the million. 20,000 right? Half of 1 percent would be 5000.
    Think about it for a moment.
    Not upset at all. Just seeing how many people have had this type of problem with their ammo. Like I said first time in 35 years. Should have played the lottery this week. I'm confident in Federal ammo.

Boolit Grand Master

Very Very uncommon problem... in fact it's not really a problem .
    Your first damaged round in 35 years ..that's a pretty good track record for the ammo makers .
    I was expecting to see damage when someone dropped a box during shipping and handling , Amazon , UPS , stock boy in the store ... lots of places for damage to occur and it's sort of amazing more ammo doesn't arrive more beat up . Manufacturers will take care of you .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Federal has advised that they can't send a replacement, so they are sending a $10 refund. Great service!