Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRepackbox
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Load Data Wideners
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New to 45 ACP. Recommend a mold please.

Boolit Master
    I would need to look to see if I still have a roundnose mold but I know the only one I pull out to cast with is the Lee 230 TC. I feeds in all my autos and shoots well in my SAA.

Quote Originally Posted by Polymath View Post
    Yep same here, Lee mold 230 gr round nose (hardball shape) L2 alloy. Tumble lube.
    same mold here, tumble lube, fine in the Heckler & Koch .45_
    Food is overrated. A nice rifle is way more important.
    Rob

Boolit Bub
    All suggestions appreciated. I have a friend who is sending me a some boolits from his Accurate 200M and 230M molds. I'll give them a try and go from there. Since he's shooting them in a Glock 30 I have high hopes that they will shoot well in mine. I that proves true I'll be ordering an Accurate mold or molds.

Glocks will have a stupid fail to feed jam with most SWC. The rear of the ejecting brass will get stuck on the SWC full band that is coming up from the mag. This I think can be overcome with a change in OAL and or load or bullet speed, I did not want to fool with it so went to a
    Lee 200 FPRN

At the risk of melting down the internet with my opinion, I’d go with a 6 cavity Lee mould. Borrow some SWC’s or buy a $30, 2 cavity in SWC to see if the feed. If not go with their round nose You’re not shooting long distance like a rifleman and I seriously doubt any of the pistoleros can really tell the difference in different moulds at 20 yards. As long as the base of the bullet is filled out properly your accuracy will be consistent. A 6 cavity allows you to make a lot of bullets in a relatively short time. If the SWC’s don’t feed, Lee makes three different 230 grainer a, two truncated noses and a round nose

Boolit Buddy
    LEE 6 cavity 230 grain round nose has worked for me in several Glocks and Colts over the years in NRA and IDPA matches.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by bruce381 View Post
    Glocks will have a stupid fail to feed jam with most SWC. The rear of the ejecting brass will get stuck on the SWC full band that is coming up from the mag. This I think can be overcome with a change in OAL and or load or bullet speed, I did not want to fool with it so went to a
    Lee 200 FPRN
    The first Springfield XD45 pistols had a similar problem.

The extracted brass would come back and hit the case mouth of the top round in the magazine and peel the brass back.

I've had three XD45 pistols and everyone of them did this when using a SWC bullet.

The XDM doesn't have this problem.

I'm a huge SWC fan for the 45 ACP. But I'll be one of the first people to say to get a RN or round nose flat point if you're not absolutely positive that your gun will feed a SWC.

I also agree with the poster to stay away from ANY Lee 1R design.
    NRA Benefactor.

Boolit Buddy

If you can get your hands on one.......the best all around mold for me has been the MP 452-200RNHP. Feeding and accuracy in one package. I have a brass 4 cavity and it's beautiful to cast with. I like the hex hollow-point, but probably just because of the looks of the cavity; the round HP and the solid nose pins come with the mold. Any good boolit out of the mold shoots wonderfully if the trigger puller does their part.

If you don't want to spend that much on a mold or have a hard time finding one, just buy the 452374 Lyman. Won't give you feeding problems in the "plastic fantastic" G30. As was mentioned prior, SWC's can be finicky to feed in Glocks and Springfield pistols. Ensure you size to .452+ and you won't have issues with leading. 45 ACP is very forgiving.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12