Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingLoad Data
Inline FabricationRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Wideners
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help with Swiss Schmidt Rubin 1889

Boolit Mold
    thanks for all the help guys. The accurate 2460 powder I have it turns out is just a little hotter than IMR 3031 which a lot of people use in the 1889 so I started at 25 grains of the 2460. I need to get a mold for cast bullets so I just used the .306 spitzer from the 7.5x55 ammo. Light kick maybe the kick of a .223. My uncle is gonna get a chronograph so we can determine better what to do next because this seemed like a really light load but we want to be sure.

Boolit Mold
    just curious what's the opinion on spitzer copper jacketed bullets in this rifle? the numbers people are getting on these bores wouldn't a Russian 7.62 bullet work good being at .309-.311?

From what I see from people loading FMJ in theirs is that a heavy .308, preferably a flat backed bullet, not boat tailed works best.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie1971 View Post
    From what I see from people loading FMJ in theirs is that a heavy .308, preferably a flat backed bullet, not boat tailed works best.
    yeah I seen that boat tail doesnt work good I wonder why that is... I have seen that some use .308 but some of these rifles measure out to like .314 so IDK I guess I just have to slug the bore.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20210616_202838.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	24.5 KB 
ID:	284642
    Group I shot with my 1889. Last group of the day.
    12 grains of Sr 4756
    311467 from old ideal mold, drops at .315 sized to .314 some yawing
    Of the bullet on target. But shoots to the sights at 100 yards.

Brass is privi and not trimmed. I believe 4756 is discontinued but my club has a 8 lb jug. My '89 the old lady as I refer to her is one of my favorite rifles to shoot. Have fun.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by iron brigade View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20210616_202838.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	24.5 KB 
ID:	284642
    Group I shot with my 1889. Last group of the day.
    12 grains of Sr 4756
    311467 from old ideal mold, drops at .315 sized to .314 some yawing
    Of the bullet on target. But shoots to the sights at 100 yards.

Brass is privi and not trimmed. I believe 4756 is discontinued but my club has a 8 lb jug. My '89 the old lady as I refer to her is one of my favorite rifles to shoot. Have fun.
    sweet. the 1889 is an awesome rifle such amazing machining and always with the Swiss way over-complicated. of course I know it was originally designed for black powder which is the reason for the rear lugs and long bolt to help reduce jamming due to fouling.

Actually the rifle used smokeless powder. See bloke on the range on you tube for excellent info on the subject.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by iron brigade View Post
    Actually the rifle used smokeless powder. See bloke on the range on you tube for excellent info on the subject.
    yes I know it used smokeless powder but it was designed to use black powder.

Boolit Mold
    I got a chrono and my load of 26grains are sending a 168gr bullet at about 1700fps. I know this is slow but I'm concerned the accurate 2460 powder burns too fast so I'm not sure if it's safe to add more powder. Can anyone explain to me or point me to a good source for how to check for overpressure?

Boolit Master
    Velocity is not so much a consideration with cast bullets, 1700 FPS is fine. Of more concern is “does it group well” and “does it shoot to the sights” at the range you want to shoot it (usually 100 yards). I find with my M96/11s and M31s the 400 yard setting is good for 100 yards and longer range requires experimenting with each rifle. Grouping is within 3 inches at 100 yards and I can’t see better than that now anyway.
    "You will wantonly strike a hornet's nest which extends from mountains to ocean, and legions, now quiet, will swarm out and sting us to death. It is unnecessary; it puts us in the wrong; it is fatal." Robert Toombs, Democrat of Georgia, warning of the results of the imminent attack of the Confederacy upon Fort Sumter in Charleston Harbor, 1861

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12