Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxInline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionWidenersTitan ReloadingLoad Data
RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tesla's newest car; the Model S Plaid.

Boolit Master

Tesla's newest car; the Model S Plaid.

I just heard about this car today, and when I learned that it was the fastest production car ever made, I instantly knew where he got the inspiration for the name. I laughed out loud when I did a search and confirmed it.

Anybody else honestly know where he got the name without searching the internet?

Cool looking car. 4-door luxury sedan that does 0-60 mph in under 2 seconds and a low 9-second 1/4-mile. I hate electrics, but those numbers are ludicrous...

Attachment 284331
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Boolit Master
    The schwartz must be strong with you!

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

I would seriously question those numbers - particularly the quarter mile E.T.
    Can you cite the source?
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

Boolit Buddy
    It's Spaceball One!
    They've gone to plaid!

Boolit Master
    have no idea where they got the name but got a feeling its so simple its almost stupid
    I saw a guy driving a Tesla about a year ago, I was impressed. at o-60 in 2 seconds I sure hope they got a bunch of body shops that know how to fix em.
    I guess if I had an extra $100k laying around I wouldn't mind getting one just for fun.
    but in all reality I'm needing a new lawn mower and saw an electric ryobi zero turn 100ah at Home Depot about a week ago. it was 25% off but I figure I better wait till they get these things perfected. I've got acres to mow and a plain old $1500 rider from Walmart might last a year or 2 and they sure don't make it up some of the hills I have to cut.
    all the major car manufacturers are committed to building electric cars in the next 10 years or so, that's just the way things are going.
    me, ill make my old chevy 2500 last as long as possible.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by FISH4BUGS View Post
    I would seriously question those numbers - particularly the quarter mile E.T.
    Can you cite the source?
    https://insideevs.com/news/513360/te...-acceleration/

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a3...rice-increase/

https://www.thedrive.com/news/40921/...er-mile-record

Recently, unconfirmed reports suggested the electric automaker may have secured the quarter mile record for production cars at a recent test of the Model S Plaid in California. With little more to go on than the word of an anonymous source, one could be forgiven for holding a skeptical view of the claim. It seems that Jay Leno has put that speculation to rest, though, claiming to have made a record-breaking pass in the car himself in a phone call to Spike's Car Radio, reports Tesmanian.

Reports of the record attempt first dropped in mid-May, with Drive Tesla Canada citing a confidential source who claimed to be on site for the attempt. Occurring at Auto Club Famoso Raceway in Bakersfield, California, the informant quoted the Tesla Model S Plaid as laying down a 9.23 second pass with a trap speed of 152.16 miles per hour. They also noted that Jay Leno was in attendance, and that the famous Tonight Show host set a 9.50 second pass, albeit with two passengers on board.
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Boolit Master
    Chevy claims the electric Hummer generates 1,000 horse power. With the scrutiny Tesla and it’s owner get I’m sure they’ve got video to support their claims.

The biggest reason I “choose to remain dubious” is each company’s variation of electric car takes a different charging station. I can go fill up a 1972 VW Beetle or a 2021 Jaguar at the same gas station but if traveling Tesla is the only game outta town with their network of chargers.

Boolit Master
    Getting an electric vehicle to perform is easy, keeping it charged and keeping things cool while pumping thousands of amps in or out of the batteries and the time it takes to charge are real problems. Think of a semi pulling the grapevine hauling 100,000 lbs and imagine the heat created on the wiring, motors and batteries. And that doesn't take into account the loss of hauling capacity because of the huge batteries or the many stops required to recharge.

Now let's take our family EV on vacation to some less traveled part of the west loaded with family and camping gear. We have to stop every 200/300 miles for an hour to charge the battery assuming there is a charging station in the area.

Another issue is the amount of charging "pumps" that a typical gas station will have to have compared to gas pumps. It takes maybe 5 minutes to gas up per car or an hour to charge an ev. A "gas station" will have to have 12 times as many chargers as gas pumps to handle the same number of cars. Also it will have to have the parking to match the chargers and probably a very large cafe, diner, park or some other place for the people to wait while their car is charging.

I can't wait until some politician decides airplanes need to be electric. Who wants to be the first to head to Hawaii on an electric 747?

Electric cars are neat but we currently are not ready with the infrastructure or the technology to go to even a high percentage of electric vehicles. We are already having brown outs in some areas of the US and even complete failures like Texas. The production of reliable steady electricity is not clean nor is the production of batteries.

I believe electric vehicles are a method for the left to limit our mobility.

some politician decides airplanes need to be electric
    Uh, American Airlines!
    Whatever!

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Electric vehicles will be great, as long as you don't need a heater or air conditioner. Around here, you need both the same day.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    Electric vehicles will be great, as long as you don't need a heater or air conditioner. Around here, you need both the same day.
    Heat is a byproduct that can be easily repurposed as both a creature comfort as well as for beneficial dissipation from the vehicle. Electric A/C systems are also no big deal but will result in additional power consumption and loss of range. Some of our hybrid vehicles use a dual scroll compressor that can be driven by mechanical means via the traditional accessory drive belt or by an electric motor when the gasoline engine is off during EV mode driving.

Boolit Master
    I see where Tesla has mitigated the differing power supply interfaces.
    My biggest issues with any of the electric cars are:
    How are we paying for roadways and bridges etc without fuel tax?
    Where/ how exactly shall we dispose of the batteries when they go kaput? (Recycling.....look at those industries in our Asian neighbours ....not exactly green).
    Where do all of the electric car consumers think that the electricity is coming from? We've had to tear out a good chunk of our true "clean energy" sources from hydroelectric, wind is not even remotely"green" if you actually consider the carbon offset, solar is ridiculously dirty from the manufacturing side of things.
    I do like the idea of nuclear, and am looking forward to not having a Chernobyl II, WY with the new plant going in there.
    I just feel that it's extremely short sighted and naive to purchase an electric car and believe you're doing 1 single thing for the environment!!

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    My sister-in-law was hiking somewhere out west and came upon a Tesla parked alongside the road at a trailhead. Inside was a big dog, a note on the window “Dog is fine. AC is on!” and a thermometer showing it was 65° inside.

Quote Originally Posted by rbuck351 View Post
    I believe electric vehicles are a method for the left to limit our mobility.
    At the risk of getting “political” I fear you are correct

Several states have taken an average of miles driven and are charging a flat rate EV tax equivalent to the lost gasoline taxes paid at the pump. This is the ONLY fair way to make EV pay for the roads they drive on. A couple are looking at tax for miles driven for all vehicles. (but how do you really enforce that. flat tax better.

Oh, and I saw a review the other day on a 15k service of a Tesla. tires were gone at 17k miles.... WHAT? regenerative breaking maybe? known issue supposedly, the tires go quick.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

His dual motor 4 wheel drive model. Only way you can get those times - need TRACTION from the tires. Traction motors are different from gas, they have torque at low speed IF you can get the current to them. Some guys tried a post office truck with elec and normal batt for 1/8 mi times. Couldn't keep the belts on the motor. Then twisted the drive shaft off. They made good times till drive broke.
    Whatever!

Boolit Master
    Semis don't pull 100000 lbs over the grapevine legally without a overload permit. Not sure that Caltrans would give such a permit. Probably reroute along 101.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by popper View Post
    some politician decides airplanes need to be electric
    Uh, American Airlines!
    In the last couple weeks, PBS ran an hour program that covered three or four private companies working on developing electric aircraft. A couple of them are already flying manned prototypes and another is flight testing a cargo drone. All are predicting the conventional power (both recip & turbine) for aircraft will be on it's way out in the next 10 years due to climate change restrictions. Watching, I kept thinking about dusting off my A&P, investing in a few run-out Lycomings and Continentals, and doing some rebuilds as a retirement supplement.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Boolit Buddy
    For cities and/or short trips, EV makes sense. But rural areas where I live (true/real America), most folks drive 30+ miles each way to work not to mention any errands and the frequent power outages from storms, squirrels, heat, etc. How long would one of those EV's work with 100mile round trip, AC blasting, and radio in 100deg weather? Also, what makes one think that employers are going to let their employees plug into their electricity for free, when any benefit other than a paycheck is a luxury that not all get? Not to mention the dirt driveways, mudholes and potholes that are as common as crooked politicians.
    I just think EV's are a limited market for areas where folks are pack together.

Boolit Master
    Teslas are almost as common as Prius here. Lots of them on Hwy 1. There's a Supercharger at Ventana Inn, Big Sur then no public utilities until you hit Cambria. Don't leave the lights on. LOL

I noticed a tesla sitting at a vacation house because the brake disks had rusted in the salt air. Huge Disks for something I would think would have regenerative braking or maybe that doesn't work with full batteries?
    Last edited by Mal Paso; 06-11-2021 at 07:18 PM.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Boolit Grand Master
    Without doing any searching at all; I thought of the old joke of the French snails and the race car. Escargot anyone?

Robert

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast