Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingWidenersRotoMetals2
RepackboxInline FabricationLoad DataSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters Supply Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tesla's newest car; the Model S Plaid.

Boolit Master
    Close to da Creaux,Hang'n out in Swamp's and Bayou's
    With the way its going on this computer chip shortage thing for new vehicles I may start looking for something that runs on a carburetor, distributor, coil and spark plugs

Moderator Emeritus

Watched a special a few years back where a guy created a battery based upon a virus. Tested it driving a motorcycle and blew the engine as it could not handle to power. Other specials have shown technology being bought by oil and gas companies who squashed any further research. Could get interesting if some of that research is allowed to move forward.

Boolit Master
    Another un-reported electric car deal that happened along the Texas Louisiana coast last year is when people evacuated for last years hurricanes they left these electric cars behind in the garage.
    Only to return finding the house burnt down,Yep you guessed it, They don't do well in flooding conditions.

Boolit Master
    The first big producer of Solar Panels was the Atlantic Richfield Oil Company. They built the first Commercial Solar Generating Plant in Carizzo Ca and ran it from 1983 to 1994. It was the largest solar plant in the world at the time. Panels were over $10/watt at the time, they lost money, the plant was shut down and the panels sold off. That was the start of private solar farms. I have 9 of the original ARCO panels and they are STILL IN OPERATION.

The Conspiracy Theories that big oil would hide a technology rather than use it themselves is a load of manure.

Secrets don't keep.
    Last edited by Mal Paso; 06-12-2021 at 09:54 AM.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    When you get right down to it, fossil fuel vehicles will be around until the price and efficiency is at a point where people prefer the electric vehicles. Buggy whip factories didn't go out of business because they were outlawed. People just decided they preferred Henry Ford's cars, and buggy whips died a natural death.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Quote Originally Posted by popper View Post
    some politician decides airplanes need to be electric
    Uh, American Airlines!
    On of our local small short hop operators here now has electric planes it call harbour air based out of Nanaimo bc apparently it’s working quite well for them

Boolit Master
    I limbed these 2 Oaks with that HF electric chain saw and recharged the batteries on my Solar System.

I spilled some gas fueling the milling saw to make up for it and to prove I Am Not a Greenie.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1trip01.jpg  
    Mal

Boolit Master
    y'all got me real curious, saw a jay Leno review of this new Tesla on youtube, he said something like it will go 400 miles on a charge and that includes with air conditioner running. he also said the $130.000 price tag for the performance is real cheap when compared to other cars with gas engines that have similar performance like a $1million for a Ferrari or I think he said an almost $3million Bugatti. having been to school to learn engine mechanics in past I could have never envisioned electric vehicles the same way stage coach drivers could have never envisioned horseless carriages traveling cross country in just a few days.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by farmbif View Post
    y'all got me real curious, saw a jay Leno review of this new Tesla on youtube, he said something like it will go 400 miles on a charge and that includes with air conditioner running. he also said the $130.000 price tag for the performance is real cheap when compared to other cars with gas engines that have similar performance like a $1million for a Ferrari or I think he said an almost $3million Bugatti. having been to school to learn engine mechanics in past I could have never envisioned electric vehicles the same way stage coach drivers could have never envisioned horseless carriages traveling cross country in just a few days.
    130K ? Dang, Wonder how much gas/diesel I can buy for 130K if I had 130K to blow on a toy ?

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Gator 45/70 View Post
    130K ? Dang, Wonder how much gas/diesel I can buy for 130K if I had 130K to blow on a toy ?
    Not to mention repairs and inevitable battery replacements every 5 years or so

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Gator 45/70 View Post
    I think point they are trying to make is that on the high performance market $130k is the shallow end of the pool yet this car can go toe-to-toe with the heaviest hitters that cost 5 to 10 times as much. Sure, it doesn’t have the exotic body lines of a Lamborghini or a screaming V12 engine but take them both to the drag strip and the Tesla will at the very least give them a run for their money and will get the W against most. So you pay a fraction of the price tag for a faster car that doesn’t have to stop at every gas station you pass and without the absolutely ludicrous maintenance the real exotics demand. You can even daily drive it and it won’t break the bank (assuming you can swallow that initial investment).

The Model S has an 8 year unlimited mileage power train warranty. Nearly a decade of practically worry free driving is sounds pretty sweet to someone like me who would put over 600k on the car in that time… Let’s see any high performance car pull that kind of mileage. People lost their minds when Mr. Bean crossed the 40,000 mile mark with his McLaren F1. I do more than that just commuting every year.

The top of the line Model S isn’t meant to compete with basic commuter sedans like Honda Civics and Chevy Cruzes. It’s meant to be a car that will wipe the smug smirk off of the face of a Vette owner at a light while getting a thumbs up from the tree huggers.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by lksmith View Post
    Not to mention repairs and inevitable battery replacements every 5 years or so
    This is a very valid concern after the driveline warranty expires. If I remember right, the cost to replace the batteries/motors (which are generally replaced together) runs over $20k on the basic Model S. I’m sure the bad boy is even more. But again, if you have ever seen a dealership repair bill on a high end performance car you realize that’s still not bad. A basic oil change on an exotic is typically four figures.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by TyGuy View Post
    This is a very valid concern after the driveline warranty expires. If I remember right, the cost to replace the batteries/motors (which are generally replaced together) runs over $20k on the basic Model S. I’m sure the bad boy is even more. But again, if you have ever seen a dealership repair bill on a high end performance car you realize that’s still not bad. A basic oil change on an exotic is typically four figures.
    Yep, most people have no idea how crazy the maintenance costs are on most of the exotics. I remember a few years ago that to change the oil on one exotic, it had to be flown back to Europe and serviced. Over $30,000 for an oil change.

https://www.woodsidecredit.com/typic...-costs-exotic/

That site listed a new transmission for an Aston Martin Vantage at $80,000. $20k for new batteries/motors seems like a bargain.
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Mal Paso View Post
    The first big producer of Solar Panels was the Atlantic Richfield Oil Company. They built the first Commercial Solar Generating Plant in Carizzo Ca and ran it from 1983 to 1994. It was the largest solar plant in the world at the time. Panels were over $10/watt at the time, they lost money, the plant was shut down and the panels sold off. That was the start of private solar farms. I have 9 of the original ARCO panels and they are STILL IN OPERATION.

The Conspiracy Theories that big oil would hide a technology rather than use it themselves is a load of manure.

Secrets don't keep.
    I remember the shows back when but do not have the details. Here is a quick search from a Tesla forum discussing "Who Killed the Lithium Battery? (for 30 years)"

https://forums.tesla.com/discussion/...y-for-30-years

Not saying it is gospel but somehow I just don't see major gas and oil companies willing to give up their life blood.

Boolit Master
    Lol, I saw 4 of those spiffy Elec.cars at the Tesla station in front of petco this morning, Seems like one has plenty of time to get out and stretch ones legs while waiting on a fill up? About how long does that take?
    Wonder how much more generating capacity will have to be added over the years to keep up, 25% more generators?

Boolit Master
    Well bought the wife this mower today at Lowes since we want to go green and everything.
    Thinking about mounting a cordless drill on this baby to speed up the operation.
    What do yall think, Pulley and belt ?

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Earthwise-1...Mower/50329467

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MrWolf View Post
    I remember the shows back when but do not have the details. Here is a quick search from a Tesla forum discussing "Who Killed the Lithium Battery? (for 30 years)"

https://forums.tesla.com/discussion/...y-for-30-years

Not saying it is gospel but somehow I just don't see major gas and oil companies willing to give up their life blood.
    The idea for Lithium batteries was proposed in 1973. The next 18 years was trying different materials to make them stable and to produce enough electricity to be competitive. The first commercial batteries were sold in 1991, there were fires and failures. Capacity and reliability has been a slow uphill battle ever since with breakthroughs every couple years. I couldn't find any 30 year gap.

I maintained a Nickel Iron battery bank. Cells were not supposed to go bad but I replaced failed cells until we couldn't get more. They were made in eastern Europe so there may have been patent issues but if they were better than lead/acid money would have talked. I think they were 1.2 volts rather than 2+ volts of lead acid.

I'm sure somewhere someone has buried technology but I think more often it's the "Journalists" putting one over on us.
    Mal

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Problems with the electrical grid are - It's already being run at over capacity, they're shutting power plants down, instead of installing more, the wiring isn't being upgraded, for more capacity, demand is going to vastly increase if we go "all electric", so to put it in one sentence:

You cannot squeeze 1000 gallons of juice out of 1 pound of grapes.

It just plain doesn't look like many with a clue are there in DC, frankly.

I do imagine that it's a very fun toy though LOL

I saw something on TV at least 8 to 10 years ago. On one side was a modern 1/4 mile drag racer. On the other was a car powered by old recycled cell phone battery's.

It left the dragster at the start like it was standing still. And with a huge lead the dragster never caught up.

The real advantage is they can figure out at what point there is too much power, and the wheels spin.

On an electric car they can set it to never cross that line. Huge torque at slow speeds, don't have to wait for the engine to rev up. Nothing lost in transmission of power. No loss of speed to shifting. Just pure acceleration just below the power level at which the wheels would spin.

They will be years getting all the bugs out and charging stations setup. But it is the wave of the future.
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Sheesh View Post
    Problems with the electrical grid are - It's already being run at over capacity, they're shutting power plants down, instead of installing more, the wiring isn't being upgraded, for more capacity, demand is going to vastly increase if we go "all electric", so to put it in one sentence:

You cannot squeeze 1000 gallons of juice out of 1 pound of grapes.

It just plain doesn't look like many with a clue are there in DC, frankly.

I do imagine that it's a very fun toy though LOL
    And don't forget that the state most famous for being unable to maintain demand for electricity has mandated that in just 14 years, it will be illegal to sell any new cars, pickups, dirt bikes, or ATVs that aren't electric...

https://www.edmunds.com/car-news/cal...-for-2035.html

It is going to be a massive boondoggle if California remains a part of the Union for that long. The way things are going, I don't see the US remaining unfractured for more than a decade, however.
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast